[mod.music.gaffa] More anti-IED fodder ...

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (03/20/87)

Really-From: charettep@nusc-wpn

    	I was just sitting there ... minding my own business, reading my
Love Hounds printout, and I come across this gem (from IED - who else?):

	"If you look at her rate of production ... she isn't really that
slow.  Bruckner didn't write his first symphony till he was more than forty;
ditto Brahms -- and he only finished four in his lifetime."

	Pelt me with rocks and garbage if I'm wrong, but is IED alluding
that our beloved Kate (yes I *am* a huge KT fan) produces music which is
comparable to Bruckner and Brahms?  I really hate to open a can of worms,
but I really can't see the comparison.  I won't bore you with an analysis
of complexity and it's applications to a symphony as opposed to one of KT's
albums.  "God!  Please don't start the quality/complexity debate again!"

	IED:  You can't expect anyone to believe KT's music is as complex
as one of Brahms' symphonies, can you?

							Paul

	"Where's the fish?  ... And he went ... wherever I ... did go."

					- The fish interlude in M. Python's
					       "The Meaning of Life"

------

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (03/24/87)

Really-From: nessus (Doug Alan)

> [From: charettep@nusc-wpn:]

> 	IED: You can't expect anyone to believe KT's music is as
> complex as one of Brahms' symphonies, can you?

Of course it is!  Probably even more so.  Musicians today have many
more auditory dimensions to work with than were available before
modern technology, and Kate utilizes most of them.

			|>oug

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (03/24/87)

Really-From: charettep@nusc-wpn

>> [From: charettep@nusc-wpn:]
>>
>>       IED: You can't expect anyone to believe KT's music is as
>> complex as one of Brahms' symphonies, can you?
>
> Of course it is!  Probably even more so.  Musicians today have many
>more auditory dimensions to work with than were available before
>modern technology, and Kate utilizes most of them.
>
>                        |>oug

	You do have a point.  I won't deny that KT's music is _technically_
more complex.  Of course, Brahms' never had a Sinclaviar.

   	But that wasn't what I was getting at.  I was referring to musical
complexity.  Brahms' wrote symphonies with parts for 60 or more musicians.
Granted, some of the parts are the same for players in the same section,
but there is an undeniable complexity in getting a large number of musical
parts to work together and sound as pleasing as they do.

							Paul
------