[mod.music.gaffa] anti-anti-IED fodder ...

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (03/26/87)

Really-From: charettep@nusc-wpn

> From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
>                 To give |>oug's point its due, a Brahms symphony's
> huge, masterful complexity is limited first BY his (by contemporary
> standards) sonically limited range of sounds; and second, TO his
> own essentially traditional language of notation; so that, insofar
> as variety of sounds goes, Kate's recent music may have some kind
> of edge, but in most other respects, Brahms has not been seriously
> threatened by Bush -- YET.
>                               Still, it's an impossible comparison;
> for who can say that Brahms's muse was "greater" than Kate's is, in
> the end? Especially since it's only the beginning, for Kate.

	To all of the above: Precisely what I was getting at.  I guess there
is no disagreement here, just misunderstanding ...

							Paul

"Look ... If I went 'round claimin' that I was emperor because some watery
 tart lobbed a schimitar at me, they'd put me away!  Some water-logged wench
 distributing swords isn't a basis for a system of government.  Supreme
 autocratic power derives from a mandate from the masses, not some farcical
 aquatic ceremony."

				Roughly quoted (from memory) from
				M. Python's "Holy Grail"

------