[mod.music.gaffa] cvt

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (03/26/87)

Really-From: hofmann@nrl-css.arpa (James B. Hofmann)

>Subject:  College radio and other things

>    As compared to other college radio stations that I have listened to, KSPC
>is one of the best, along with KSDT-San Diego (a few years ago).  WCVT-Towson
>is the present local station, and is good at times, but either their library
>is tiny or their station manager is narrow-minded, because they lapse into
>commercial nuu muusik :-) quite often.

First of all, call them up and request stuff.

Second:
There's an article in a recent Rolling Stone giving a coupla inches and
photo to the music(?) director of this station (CVT).  I've met him and he's
a nice guy and all that but the article didn't seem to think that there
is a conflict of interest between his internship with I.R.S. records (a
subsidiary of MCA, I think) and his job as music director.   They do
go take great pains to show that there isn't a connection (i.e. they
don't allow MCA stuff on the CMJ (an invalid concept in itself) journal
playlists for CVT).

Let's admit that the bigger record companies (including SST) are out to
manipulate non-commercial radio into becoming a commercial entity.  The
FCC ought to make a set of rules outlawing people on payrolls to record
companies to run non-commercial radio stations.

Kate gets the majority of her American airlpay on college stations.
jim