[mod.music.gaffa] Dorita

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (03/30/87)

Really-From: hofmann@nrl-css.arpa (James B. Hofmann)

Somehow, I think IED is using camp psychological tricks on me to reinforce
my manners, etc... hmmm...

>Not for the first time, IED finds himself praising Hofmann's
>latest posting. He agrees with your theory that Kate's voice
>seems silly (to Americans, mind you) in the context of the
>(increasingly agressive) music she sings. Ironically, her
>contribution on Gabriel's "Don't Give Up", now a U.S. single,
>will probably only alienate many American listeners, since it

I don't think so.  I think people will listen to it as a P. Gaberiel song
and most people won't even know that Kate Bush is singing with him.  Over
here in America, there seems to be NO END to the sappy male-female duets
and I'm afraid the Gabriel song will fit into that category.  We can
blame Dionne and Lionel for this.

>in any case with U.S. listeners -- in  a song which was clearly
>designed to reflect and appeal to American culture (or lack thereof).

Ooh, hitey-titey.  Let's all break out the tea and scones and be bored.

From: P. J. Alfke...

Re:  Jesus and Mary Chain...
>This will certainly alienate the
>noise freaks out there, but will they make the Top 40?  Will teenage girls
>gush over how cuuute Jim Reid is?  Will he turn and face the audience to
>reveal lipstick and eyeliner?  Or will they just resurrect the spirit of
>Phil Spector and be a generally Groovy Thing?

Hurm.  Ut!  Most of the "noise freaks" I've run into rejected J & M C as
nothing more than the SEx PiSToLS/FRANKIE/ Sigue Sigue Sputnick Anglo-sham
that they are and professed to be early in the game.  They did have a
following among the post-hardcores, though and no telling where those
allegiances will go.  Hell, CREEM likes 'em, so I don't know.

				"I can't stand the itching
				 but I don't mind the swelling!"

				JAyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyymssssssssss.....

~P