[mod.music.gaffa] Pussy Galore

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (02/19/87)

Really-From: rutgers!caip!lll-lcc!cae780!reed!soren (Soren Petersen)

I read in Village Voice (god, I am trendy) that Pussy Galore have
recorded the entire Exile on Main Street.  Is this true?  Where do
I get this cultural artifact?

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (02/21/87)

Really-From: wicinski <wicinski@nrl-css.arpa>

>Really-From: rutgers!caip!lll-lcc!cae780!reed!soren (Soren Petersen)
>
>I read in Village Voice (god, I am trendy) that Pussy Galore have
>recorded the entire Exile on Main Street.  Is this true?  Where do
>I get this cultural artifact?

Yea, they did and it is only available as a cassette.  I believe only
made about 5000 or so (maybe 500) and thats it. write to shove records
(address someplace in NY city) and check with them.  throw in six bucks
or so.  I never did it 'cause I was told that they might not send you a
tape...it's not bad if your into rock and roll industrial noise.

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (04/01/87)

Really-From: d711%sphinx.UChicago.BITNET@BERKELEY.EDU(Dave Wilson)

Pussy Galore is/was/will be recording some new stuff (I assume in
Chicago) produced by Steve Albini.  Saw Steve at the show taping Pussy
Galore at the board (rank hath its priveleges).

They weren't so hot in concert, though.  Didn't play "Cunt Tease" or
"Look like a Jew" which are their two most accessible songs.
Continual feedback was cool but made all the songs blend into each
other.  Some people left.  Were going to do an encore, but played
about 4 bars and then went away (maybe because all the people left).
I was disappointed.  Did have a radiator mounted on the drum set to
bang on, though.  The blond girl wasn't there.  Is she still in the
band?

Urge Overkill opened, and were hot.  They did do the maroon tux
schtick, though (Is this a trend?  Big Black was in tuxes in Feb.,
too.)  Cool Glen Campbell cover (Telephone Lineman, I think.  Been a
while.)

I did feel definitely out of place there, though.  Stringy long black
hair and black leather were the attire of the day.  Oh well.

John Troyer (currently at ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!d711
From d711%sphinx.UChicago.BITNET@BERKELEY.EDU Wed Apr  1 02:14:55 1987
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 87 19:45:30 cst
From: d711%sphinx.UChicago.BITNET@BERKELEY.EDU(Dave Wilson)
To: gaffa-post@eddie.mit.edu
Subject: WaxTrax

News from that bastion of Eurodisco, WaxTrax! in Chicago.

straight from the horse's mouth, Jim Nash (the owner, sorry for dropping
 names)

--Just completed last night (Mar 30), new track by Pailhead.  Who is
 Pailhead?
  They are Ian McKaye (ex-Minor Threat, Egg Hunt), Naked Raygun's drummer and
  the bassist from the Blackouts.  Produced by Al (I'm a real dick)
 Jourgenson,
  which should make for an interesting sound.

--Watch for a new single by Fini Tribe (Fini Tribe only previously available
 on
  Cathexis/UK).  Their import single got great reviews from WARD and
 Rockpool.
  "Music for the 90's," or something like that.

--Just signed -- Laibach.  Yes, those crazy Czechs (?) have a new album out
  with one bitchin' Queen cover.  Most danceable thing they've ever done.

--New Front 242 album (_Official Version_) and new Revolting Cocks 12" ("You
  Often Forget") both out and are hot.  Front 242 have lost some of their
  harder edge, though, a little more 'mersh.  But they do have two non-dance
  tracks, though, which are pretty cool.

--Animal Liberation compilation.  I am opposed to the very concept of this
  album, as the Animal Liberationists are a bunch of terrorists, but the
  record's O.K.  Very poppy for WaxTrax.  The Chris & Cosey and Luc van
  Acker tracks stand out, but I've only heard it once or twice.  Lene Lovich
  and Nena Hagen make me want to puke ("Be a vegetarian/Be anti
 vivisection").
  If we were meant to eat animals, they would grow on trees. :-)

John Troyer (currently at !ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!d711)

quote from Jim Nash:  "Hell, remember that video we shot of Al (Jourgenson)
and Richard 23 in the shower?  It brings a whole new meaning to the term
Revolting Cocks."