[mod.music.gaffa] More KT Ramblings...

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (04/03/87)

Really-From: ganzer%trout@nosc.mil (Mark T. Ganzer)

-------
>From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
>... that MTV again failed to show the "Don't Give Up" video
>(and chances are they never will, having opted now firmly in favour of
>a menu of 90% mindless and repetitive candy-floss pseudo-heavy
>metal pabulum "performance" videos to 10% even worse stuff...)

What is real sad is that in the last 3 weeks looking for "Don't
Give Up", I've seen the Springsteen "Born To Run" video 3 times and
the latest Bowie video twice. So much for a "new video" program, eh?

>To answer the query re the piKTure disks:
>                            ... The second (apparently the
>one you saw) has two more recent photos: one from the European
>lip-synch of "Babooshka" (Kate in red leotard, bass viol by the
>throat), the other a close-up from her 1985 visit to America.

This is the one I saw. I had read your descriptions previously, but
didn't make the connection when I saw it. Now I don't feel so bad about
not getting it (although I also missed the "Comic Relief" album and
the Japanese cover "Kick Inside". Damn, they always show up when you
don't have any money to spend...).

>>It's not her voice. Her music is too fuckin' complex for the average yahoo.
>>Her music has to be LISTENED to. She doesn't use "hooks" that grab the average

>Aha! Signs of "elitism" from another L-H. besides IED! Ha-haaah!

I turned to classical and jazz music app. 10 years ago because I was bored
with the "one verse and a chorus ... and you've as good as heard the whole
thing" style of mainstream music that is written to the lowest common
denominator to sell the most records (to an audience that can't sit through
a 6 minute video in which nothing happens, even though the video is entirely
appropriate to the music!!).  I guess you could call that "elitist".
It's interesting that some of my favorite classical music is Holst's
"The Planets" and  Rimsky-Korsekov's "Scherezade" ,pieces that try to
"paint a picture" with the music. When I first heard Kate's music,
this same "visual" quality stood out. I have not heard anybody in the
popular music field do this as well. But I guess that makes it too
"artsy" for some people.

Re the "Kate vs. Brahms" discussion: It's been a number of years since I
was involved in performing classical music, but I seem to recall that the
scores to most works were not really that complex. For example, a bass
rhythm part is played by a number of instruments in harmony, instead of
by a single bass guitar. But the number of different parts is not usually
any greater. I'm sure there are exceptions, though...

>Item Two: Kate Bush is God...
KATE BUSH IS GOD!!!  (There, that's better)

"...I was hiding in a room in my mind"

MarK T. Ganzer                    Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego
Internet: ganzer@trout.nosc.mil   UUCP: {ucbvax,hplabs}!sdcsvax!nosc!ganzer
-------

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (04/04/87)

Really-From: prs@oliven.ATC.OLIVETTI.COM (Philip Stephens)

In article <8704030733.AA12021@trout.nosc.mil> Love-Hounds@EDDIE.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: ganzer%trout@nosc.mil (Mark T. Ganzer)
>

>I turned to classical and jazz music app. 10 years ago because I was bored
>with the "one verse and a chorus ... and you've as good as heard the whole
>thing" style of mainstream music that is written to the lowest common
>denominator to sell the most records (to an audience that can't sit through
>a 6 minute video in which nothing happens, even though the video is entirely
>appropriate to the music!!).  I guess you could call that "elitist".

Now that you mention it, that's part of what I should have mentioned in my
rock, off and on, but I find I have to channel hop a lot to escape the
one verse and chorus drivel.  Sometimes I end up giving up and listen to
classical for the rest of the drive.  Other than lack of content, I am
bothered by lack of melody, as in The Smiths.  But there are *some* intriguing
story-songs, such as Ghost Train ("Card-sharking shooting each other for a
comfortable seat", "He gets hard of hearing in the cabin when the weather's
fine")... not KT quality, but amuzing.  Likewise the one (don't know name
of song or group) about "don't pull me out, I'm just floating".  But on the
whole, too much formula schlock.  I agree with Mark, KT is good partly
because she puts more story in her songs.  (Otherwise, I'd rather rock were
instrumental; why spoil nice guitar licks with idiotic repetitive verses?)

>It's interesting that some of my favorite classical music is Holst's
>"The Planets" and  Rimsky-Korsekov's "Scherezade" ,pieces that try to
>"paint a picture" with the music. When I first heard Kate's music,
>this same "visual" quality stood out. I have not heard anybody in the
>popular music field do this as well. But I guess that makes it too
>"artsy" for some people.

That's a good way to put it.  I wonder if anyone more familiar with
'alternative' rock can come up with some other 'paints a picture' artists
in addition to KT, even if not of her caliber?  Open invitation.

>"...I was hiding in a room in my mind"
>
>MarK T. Ganzer                    Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego
>Internet: ganzer@trout.nosc.mil   UUCP: {ucbvax,hplabs}!sdcsvax!nosc!ganzer
>-------

"...everyone of us has a heaven inside."

	- Phil		prs@oliveb.UUCP (Phil Stephens)     {really oliven}
	or, if that fails:	{get to 'ames' somehow, then}!oliveb!prs

Mail welcome, but my mailer seldom cooperates when I try to reply.