[mod.music.gaffa] Throwing Muses

nessus@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Doug Alan) (09/29/86)

I doubt that Throwing Muses' cassette is still available.  It isn't much
different than the new album, however.  Their wonderful country western
song was left off the album and the song about pregnancy isn't on the
cassette.  I can check for other differences if someone really cares.
In any case, everyone should buy the album cuz it's wicked narly awesome.

nessus.UUCP@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (11/08/86)

> From: Nancy Everson <everson@spca.bbn.com>

> is the pretty/interesting song by the Throwing Muses that gets
> frequent airplay on WFNX typical of the rest of their work?  (no, I
> don't know the name of the song.)

I don't know if "typical" is the right word, but all of Throwing Muses
stuff is excellent.  They have a very distinctive and original style
(and my officemate says "You can tell they've been listening to
Kate").  Their album is very worth purchasing.  The only thing I think
they have to work on is making their songs sounds more different from
each other.

			"I could be a sad lover and hate death"

			 |>oug

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (02/22/87)

Really-From: drukman%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
          (Jonathan S. Drukman)

Well well well.  Thank you, :>oug, for your support, and I apologize
in advance for the fact that the bar will be changed to a colon by the
time it gets to the rest of the love-hounds.  Next item of business:
it seems the Chameleons _will_ be coming back to UMass on March 1st,
I believe.  If anyone out there likes them a lot, you might want to
get your butt up here - UMass shows are notoriously inexpensive; I
believe the price of tickets for this show for non-UMass students is
$4.  And they will have a cash bar if you feel you need to get drunk.
Last night, Throwing Muses played here with a band called Mercy Seat
opening.  Mercy Seat were appallingly bad.  Awful with a capital "A".
It was really a pity, because the bassist and drummer were both very
capable players, as demonstrated by their respective solos.  However,
they had two things against them - 1>1.  they played mostly gospel music,
albeit very rock'n'rollish gospel music.  Anyway, I was sick to death
of hearing how Jesus loves me by the third song.  2. They were extremely
silly inbetween songs.  I found the guitarist's attitude incredibly
juvenile.  I was not impressed.
   Throwing Muses, on the other hand, played with energy and enthusiasm,
fast and loud, and showed lots of talent.  The main problem I had with
the set is that I was combating a nasty head cold, and the lead vocalist
(Kristin Hersh, I believe) had this really shrill voice that was murder
on my head.  I didn't stay for the entire set, not because they were bad,
but because I had a killer headache.
   Sorry you missed Birdsongs, Jurgen - call the management of the Iron
Horse in Northampton and BEG them to book Roger Miller when he does his
next Maximum Electric Piano tour!!
   Apologies to IED and all the other love-hounds for resending my
letter of a few days ago... The management of love-hounds at our site
has recently changed hands, and there were a few missed digests.  Again
my apologies.

-- Jon Drukman
"The more I think about sex, the better it gets"
       -kate bush

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (04/03/87)

Really-From: Jeremy Bornstein <JEREMY%BROWNVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>

Throwing Muses are playing here (at Brown U.) on Saturday night, for free.
It's in a small club-like-place called The Underground- I'll be glad to give
directions to any interested Bostonians or others.  Actually I don't know if
they're also playing in Boston soon, so this may only be for heavyduty fans
who want to grab every concert they can get...

-Jeremy

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (04/05/87)

Really-From: Jeremy Bornstein <JEREMY%BROWNVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>

Sigh.  I went to see the Throwing Muses last night.  Joe, my apologies, but
I didn't get your mail requesting directions until this morning.  Of course,
they were fabulous.  Kristin Hirsh blinked about five times... I suspect that
she was staring at the EXIT sign.  I had the good fortune to be standing at
the front, where I could see the band well;  the bassist (whose name I don't
know, which is a shame because I'm in love with her) was having a lot of fun.
My theory was that she opened her eyes every time that Ms. Hirsh blinked, but
it didn't hold up for very long.
A friend and I talked (if you can call "trying to look like you're not making
goo-goo eyes while asking stupid questions" talking) with the bassist after
the show-- she mentioned that they're probably going to switch labels soon.
Capitol and Warner Bros. were mentioned.  I expressed regret that then we
wouldn't get to hear them on any This Mortal Coil albums, to which she replied
"oh, I don't know...".  Is another in the works already?
To be slightly repetitive: sigh.
By the way: which member of the band is the one who just had a baby?

-Jeremy

"Billy... Billy?  We just had a baby!"

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (04/06/87)

Really-From: nessus (Doug Alan)

It's Kirstin who just had the baby in Throwing Muses.  I saw them
play a while back at The Rat, before their album came out, before
they were big and famous, and Kirstin was 8.5 months pregnant.  It
was very strange to see....  I wonder how 140 decibles of Throwing
Muses effects an unborn child....