[net.sf-lovers] Criticizing the critics

@RUTGERS.ARPA:DINGMAN@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA (05/02/85)

From: DINGMAN@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA

  After reading this digest for about a year and a half, I have to say
I'm upset with the way most everyone complains about SF movies.  Most
comments about SF books are neutral to good, while most comments about
SF movies are neutral to negative. Very few good, supporting
statements are made. Now you must remember that writing allows
much more freedom of expression than does movie making.  I feel that
given the restrictions of time, money, available actors (with talent)
and politics (which eventually enter any large project) what we see
is not too bad.  Comments I've seen are about like this:

          WIZARDS: Generally poor
          LORD OF THE RINGS: Awful
          2010: Fair, but criticized heavily on details
          SILENT RUNNING: Some support, but mostly criticized
                          for lack of a 'realistic' plot & ending
          STAR WARS: Not taken serously
          DUNE: Horrible adaptation (I might even agree here)
          And so on...

   My point is that I don't blame the movie industry for not putting
its heart and soul into SF.  No matter what they try, it gets
torn apart by SF 'fans'.  Nothing is good enough, nothing is acceptable.
Well I enjoy seeing a new SF movie, if it is a serious attempt to do
well, even if it falls short.  We see *so* little of it.  WIZARDS
was enjoyable, LotR was entertaining, and 2010 was far better than
watching the The Love Boat.
  I'm not saying films shouldn't be criticized.  If they weren't
nothing would improve.  But the impression from this digest is,
"Nothing is good enough for us. You do your best and we'll pick
it to death somehow."  Many of the criticisms I've seen are really
ridiculous. If I was a movie producer and read this digest, I
wouldn't even attempt SF.  I'd get Jacqueline Bisset, put her in
a T-shirt, and be assured to make money without anyone noticing the
plot (or lack of).
  I'd like to see more constructive comments; remove the clothespins
from your noses and point out the good parts, the creative and
original ideas, the novel approaches.  Don't be in such a hurry
to jump on the bandwagon of critics that recognition is forgotten.
Support for what the industry does right may create more progress
and generate more creative ideas than continuous, boring and tiresome
criticisms.

   Comments, anyone?

  -- jd           "Why me?"  "Because it might be boobytrapped."
-------

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (05/09/85)

>  After reading this digest for about a year and a half, I have to say
>I'm upset with the way most everyone complains about SF movies.  Most
>comments about SF books are neutral to good, while most comments about
>SF movies are neutral to negative. Very few good, supporting
>statements are made. Now you must remember that writing allows
>much more freedom of expression than does movie making.  I feel that
>given the restrictions of time, money, available actors (with talent)
>and politics (which eventually enter any large project) what we see
>is not too bad.

	Well, I partly agree with you. I've certainly been guilty of
potshots at movies I dislike on this net, perhaps more often than I've
put in a kind word for those movies I like. It's easier to pan than praise,
I think.
	Still, I must take partial exception to your comments. There
are a number of people on the net who are kind enough to take the trouble
to do very good reviews of SF movies, reviews that are thorough, well-
written, and fair. We may not always agree with these reviewers' opinions,
but they always explain their opinions, and I end up feeling better-
informed about the films even when I don't agree with the conclusions.
The Leepers (Mark and Evelyn) and Peter Reiher, as well as some other
worthy critics whose names escape me (sorry) deserve our thanks for their
efforts, and they have mine.
	I also think you give the filmmakers too much slack. Sure, there
are many difficulties encountered in making good films, but it remains
true that many SF films come out badly because they're just bad art.
Many are made for the quick buck, many are made by people who are quite
ignorant of science fiction, but too arrogant or unconcerned to find
out about it before making their sci-fi trash. Look at many of the SF
films of recent years: SF is popular these days, and a lot of these films
had the necessary time, money and talent to be good. Even so, not all
of them were. Consider DUNE; consider THE BLACK HOLE; consider how often
Hollywood has chosen the good old remake, when there are dozens of classic
SF novels crying to be made into films. I don't think all the abysmal failures
can be written off as due to the inevitable difficulties of filmmaking.
The fact is, too many producers neither know nor care what makes a good
film. Their only concern is to make sure-fire box-office winners, and
their shortcomings as artists are often most apparent with SF films,
because they see SF as a trash genre, mostly for the kiddies and teens.

>   My point is that I don't blame the movie industry for not putting
>its heart and soul into SF.  No matter what they try, it gets
>torn apart by SF 'fans'.  Nothing is good enough, nothing is acceptable.

	No, not really true. An example: STAR WARS was at first seen
by Fox as middle-weight Summer fare which would at best turn a small
profit. It originally had a small promotional budget, and opened at minor
locations. It was only because Lucas had Charlie Lippincott running around
to all the SF cons for a year before it opened that the movie took off
as it did, in my opinion. SF fans were waiting for that film with their
mouths watering because of the presentations at the cons, and this was
why the lines ran around the block when the film quietly opened. It was
only after the studios saw this initial enthusiastic reception that the
film was given a big "premiere" at the Chinese, and a big promo budget.
Most SF fans *like* STAR WARS, a *lot* (Ellison notwithstanding), and
while we would also like to see some more serious SF films, we're willing
to recognize quality when we see it.

>If I was a movie producer and read this digest, I
>wouldn't even attempt SF.  I'd get Jacqueline Bisset, put her in
>a T-shirt, and be assured to make money without anyone noticing the
>plot (or lack of).

	What I find truly ironic is that many of the producer's "sure-
fire" formula films actually bite the big one at the BO. If these
potboilers really *were* guaranteed money-makers, I'd be a little more
inclined to excuse the low level of artistry that too often characterizes
Hollywood films. But since this is not so, I'll still maintain that the
major problem is that many producers are Philistines, and too stupid
to even realize that. They think the average moviegoer has as little
taste as they do, but that's not (quite) true.

>  I'd like to see more constructive comments; remove the clothespins
>from your noses and point out the good parts, the creative and
>original ideas, the novel approaches.  Don't be in such a hurry
>to jump on the bandwagon of critics that recognition is forgotten.
>Support for what the industry does right may create more progress
>and generate more creative ideas than continuous, boring and tiresome
>criticisms.

	Partly true; mea culpa. But part of encouraging better films
is also not to let them get away with junk and sloppy seconds. If we're
not willing to call a spade a dirty old shovel, how will the
schlockmeisters ever realize we're not satisfied with garbage?

-  From the Crow's Nest  -                      Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
 	USENET:		 {ihnp4,vortex,dual,hao,menlo70,hplabs}!ames!barry

@RUTGERS.ARPA:DINGMAN@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA (05/10/85)

From: DINGMAN@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA

> From Mark Leeper:
>
>  I know I am not the only person that this is aimed at, but I am
>probably one.

   You're right...but I do consider your reviews to be more accurate
and fair than most.  They seem to show some thought and analysis
behind them, rather than just a first impression being popped out.

  The targets of my criticism were primarily those who watch a movie
and on the following day make comments like "Boy, that wasn't how
I would have done it." (in the case of a book adaptation), or "Gees,
nobody would wear a space suit like that."  These kind of comments
are generally opinions (preconceived usually) on how that person
would have presented an idea.  It doesn't say much about the quality
of the movie.  That is unless the movie does something gross like
forget about space being a vacuum.

  What REALLY gets me, though, is when one person expresses an opinion
like the above, then bunches of people start in on the movie with
similiar remarks.  This gets dragged out into long discussions that,
after a few days, makes the movie sound like it didn't do anything
right.  As Alastair Milne pointed out, people who disagree then
become afraid of speaking out for fear of looking gullible or basically
stupid.  Well I'm gullible *and* basically stupid, so I wanted to
get a message to those who sit by in silent disagreement to come out
of the closet and DON'T be afraid to point out the GOOD things.  At
the same time, the critics shouldn't be so closeminded as to expect
a movie to be the same as their interpretation, and upset if it
isn't.  And don't send extended flames about things that are a) trivial
or b) nonessential to the storyline.

   So that's what I intended in my original message.  You're right
Mark, I wasn't entirely right.  Some of my comments were exagerations.

   All of this has brought up another item of interest.  When a movie
is adapted from a book, how obligated is the movie to follow the story?
With the kinds of restrictions I mentioned in my last message, a direct
correlation of story elements is usually impossible.  What if the
author of the screenplay believes the story can be improved with some
plot (or character) changes?  Should it be done? How much?

  --jd
-------

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (05/12/85)

 >>  I know I am not the only person that this is aimed at, but I am
 >>probably one.
 >
 >You're right...but I do consider your reviews to be more accurate
 >and fair than most.  They seem to show some thought and analysis
 >behind them, rather than just a first impression being popped
 >out.

Thank you.  As for your statements about the endless arguments about
technical details, I find them frustrating at times.  Some technical
details about space, for example, are fairly well established.  Others
are still in some doubt.  It is clear that you should not hear the
spacecraft go by in STAR WARS, but as to whether aero-braking would
work in Jupiter's atmosphere, I suspect that nobody is really certain
at this point.  There may be technical problems with it.  It is still a
new idea.  I don't think that it is really necessary to require science
fiction film makers to be right on top of the latest technology.  If
they make a film consistant with science as she was understood five
years earlier, that is fine with me.  I have little patience for the
people who think that 2010 was technically all fouled up, but who think
that Thomas Disch's ON WINGS OF SONG -- in which people fly by singing
-- is acceptable as science fiction.  Oddly enough, I often think that
cinematic science fiction must meet harsher standards than its literary
counterpart.

 >All of this has brought up another item of interest.  When a
 >movie is adapted from a book, how obligated is the movie to
 >follow the story?  With the kinds of restrictions I mentioned in
 >my last message, a direct correlation of story elements is
 >usually impossible.  What if the author of the screenplay
 >believes the story can be improved with some plot (or character)
 >changes?  Should it be done?  How much?

A filmmaker's first loyalty should be to make a good film.  His second
should be to be faithful to the source where it does not come into
conflict with the first.  If it does come into conflict in any but
minor ways, perhaps the source material for the film was poorly chosen.
More than likely, the source was chosen for its box-office appeal, not
because it would make a good film.  Now rare if the film that breaks
this rule.  VICTOR FRANKENSTEIN/TERROR OF FRANKENSTEIN, for example is
a dull film.  It is only notable because it is the only Frankenstein
film that is faithful to the book.  But the book was not written to
make a good film and it is the wrong book to choose if you really are
concerned about being faithful to the source.  BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN
is a much better film.

Actually this is all academic.  A filmmakers first loyalty is to his
backers.  He has to make a film that people want to see and that does
not cost too much too make.  That is the reason for most revisions.
(Unless you have a David Lynch or a Ken Russell.  They want to throw in
weird images in the name of art.  Funny how in this field, directing
films, the best people are the craftsmen, not the artists.  But then
that probably reflects my own prejudices.)  Also, occasionally the
filmmaker wants to make a faithful adaptation but does not have the
rights to the story.  Sound far-fetched?  They are adapting the film
but don't have the rights to do the story?  Ian Fleming sold only a few
of his novels to the films but he sold all of the titles.  That is why
the James Bond films soured after THUNDERBALL.

Little of this really answers your question, I know.  I guess I would
just repeat that first and foremost a film should be enjoyable and then
be as close to its sources as possible.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (05/14/85)

I know I am not the only person that this is aimed at, but I am probably
one.  So I will speak for myself only.

 >After reading this digest for about a year and a half, I
 >have to say I'm upset with the way most everyone complains
 >about SF movies.  Most  comments about SF books are neutral
 >to good, while most comments about  SF movies are neutral to
 >negative.

I have been accused of the converse.

 >Very few good, supporting statements are made.

That may be the period you have been looking at.  BRAINSTORM was a good
thoughtful science fiction film, but that was a while back.  The film
of 1984 was pretty good, but it was a depressing experience.  It is not
the kind of film that gets a big following (though BLADERUNNER seems to
break this rule).

 >Now you must remember that writing allows much more freedom
 >of expression than does movie making.  I feel that given the
 >restrictions of time, money, available actors (with talent)
 >and politics (which eventually enter any large project) what
 >we see is not too bad.

Good low-budget science fiction films are rare, but good filmmakers do
occasionally come up wit a good concept that doesn't need effects.
UNEARTHLY STRANGER is certainly in the top 10% of science fiction
films, yet it is just actors in front of a camera.  No special effects
required.  In fairness, it also seems to have disappeared.  Audiences
want to see more than actors in front of a camera for some reason.

 >   My point is that I don't blame the movie industry for not putting
 >its heart and soul into SF.  No matter what they try, it
 >gets torn apart by SF 'fans'.

And it makes big money at the box-office.  Look how many more big
budget science fiction films are made now than were made a decade ago.
That does not argue that people who review these films shouldn't be
fair to them, but don't exaggerate the credence that filmmakers give to
the opinions of science fiction fans.  I call them as I see them so I
gave a +2 (on the -4 to +4 scale) to DUNE.  That is hardly tearing
apart a film that was to say the least flawed.  I think many of the
people on the net, like me, will rate a film high if it has something
good in it, regardless if it also has bad touches.

 >Nothing is good enough, nothing is acceptable.

I think that science fiction fans are considerably less harsh on
science fiction films than are mainstream critics.  Be fair, a good
proportion of fantasy films get good reviews on the net.  LADYHAWKE has
gotten some real raves on the net.  I don't think that science fiction
films do worse than fantasy as a whole, but it is harder to discuss if
the curse makes sense in LADYHAWKE than it does to discuss the ecology
of SILENT RUNNING.

 >Well I enjoy seeing a new SF movie,

So do I.  Perhaps even a bit more than you do.

 >if it is a serious attempt to do  well, even if it falls
 >short.  We see *so* little of it.  WIZARDS was enjoyable,
 >LotR was entertaining, and 2010 was far better than watching
 >the The Love Boat.

I agree on two out of three, and did so in my original reviews.
(I find a little hypocrisy in the story of WIZARDS.)

 >  I'm not saying films shouldn't be criticized.  If they weren't
 >nothing would improve.  But the impression from this digest
 >is, "Nothing is good enough for us.  You do your best and
 >we'll pick it to death somehow."

That is not my observation.

 >Many of the criticisms
 >I've seen are really ridiculous.  If I was a movie producer
 >and read this digest, I  wouldn't even attempt SF.

Oh yes you would!  You would count the number of people commenting on
the films and multiply by $4.50.  I don't see anyone on the net saying
that this or that film has soured them on going to see science fiction
films.

 >I'd get
 >Jacqueline Bisset, put her in a T-shirt, and be assured to
 >make money without anyone noticing the plot (or lack of).

Very seriously, I read Variety and that sort of film does not hit the
top of the charts the way a science fiction film does.  Of course,
films like POLICE ACADEMY II do well too, and require a lot less
thought, but they require a funny script, and that is a real gamble
too.  PA-II and LADYHAWKE are currently at the top of the charts.  The
latter is a well-made fantasy film and it is being paid off
accordingly.

 >  I'd like to see more constructive comments; remove the clothespins
 >from your noses and point out the good parts, the creative
 >and original ideas, the novel approaches.

I think I try to, but it is good advice, nonetheless.

 >Don't be in such
 >a hurry to jump on the bandwagon of critics that recognition
 >is forgotten.  Support for what the industry does right may
 >create more progress and generate more creative ideas than
 >continuous, boring and tiresome criticisms.

Most of who I consider the better critics on the net have a fair share
of positive reviews and do try to write the kind of review you want.
Peter Reiher is my personal choice for the best of us and he certainly
does.  (But then he says so much in a film to talk about, some of it
would have to be good.)

I don't think you are entirely wrong, but I don't think you are
entirely right either.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper

York@SCRC-STONY-BROOK.ARPA (05/20/85)

From: William M. York <York@SCRC-QUABBIN.ARPA>

    Date: 9 May 85 19:03:45 GMT
    From: ames!barry@topaz.arpa (Kenn Barry)

	    No, not really true. An example: STAR WARS was at first seen
    by Fox as middle-weight Summer fare which would at best turn a small
    profit. It originally had a small promotional budget, and opened at
    minor locations. It was only because Lucas had Charlie Lippincott
    running around to all the SF cons for a year before it opened that
    the movie took off as it did, in my opinion. SF fans were waiting
    for that film with their mouths watering because of the
    presentations at the cons, and this was why the lines ran around the
    block when the film quietly opened. It was only after the studios
    saw this initial enthusiastic reception that the film was given a
    big "premiere" at the Chinese, and a big promo budget.

You may consider this picking nits, but Star Wars didn't exactly open
"quietly".  If I remember correctly, the preceeding week's issue of Time
magazine featured an article about Star Wars as the cover story, and in
the article they claimed that Star Wars would be the best movie of the
year (a strong prediction for May).