[mod.music.gaffa] Kate-echism VII.4.xvi

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (04/16/87)

Really-From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu

OK, we need mailing addresses from Walter Henry and
Peter Alfke, if they want to get the KompilaTion tape
(eventually, if everyone does his part).

>Some fellow with the unlikely userid of IED0DXM appears for the first
>time, calling in from the Left Coast, finally demonstrating that yes,
>Virginia, there really is a use for BITNET.

>I was going to say something about my successive bouts of despite, envy,
>and ultimately appreciation of IED's ability to balance elements of
>clinical evaluation and emotional outbursts of KaTeian fervor, and about

What is this with the compliments? IED's gonna get a swelled head soon.
(As opposed to a Swelling Itching Brain, which he already has.)

>my ongoing battle to keep third-person self-references out of my writing,
>but every couple lines, another of the latter sneaks in; Dave will
>instead leave these phenomena unmentioned.  Dang, I blew it...

Ha-Hah! IED's secret plan is finally coming to fruition!
Soon, ALL the L-Hs will refer to themselves in the third person,
and NO-ONE will read or write in this forum -- only their new,
infinitely more obnoxious ALTER-EGOS, who will vote to re-name
this forum "Max Headhounds". It's kind of spooky, huh?

>A practical, if not particularly elegant solution.  The record store threw
>in a jewel box with my Big Time CD-EP, and I'm trying to work out a useful
>mod to accommodate the sleeve, of which I'm sure we'll see many more.

Well, let us know if you have any new ideas. Meanwhile, here's IED's
proposal for two new hypothetical KT CDs, to be released in '88
and '89 by EMI in order to fill the gap between HoL and KBVI.

 I. Kate Bush: The Re-Mixes (approx. time: 43 mins., suitable EMI rip-off time)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 1. Running Up That Hill (instrumental mix)
 2. Running Up That Hill (extended re-mix)
 3. Cloudbusting (video re-mix)
 4. Cloudbusting (Organon Re-Mix)
 5. Hounds of Love (Alternative Hounds re-mix)
 6. The Big Sky (Special Single Mix)
 7. The Big Sky (Meteorological Mix)
 8. Experiment IV (extended re-mix)

II. Kate Bush: The B-Sides (approx. time: 48 minutes, almost too long by
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                EMI standards)
 1. Passing Through Air
 2. Maybe (previously unreleased);
 3. The Empty Bullring
 4. Ran Tan Waltz
 5. December Will Be Magic Again
 6. Warm and Soothing
 7. Lord of the Reedy River
 8. Dreamtime
 9. Ne T'enfuis pas
10. Under the Ivy
11. My Lagan Love
12. Burning Bridge
13. The Handsome Cabin Boy
14. Not This Time

>I think that yes, this is the notion I was trying to convey.  A frontal
>assault of pure genius, thinly veiled with periodic markings of early
>Kate.  The appropriateness of this idea is wide open for discussion;
>I'm still toying with it myself.

Same here. The "periodic markings of early Kate Bush" --
could you be more specific? Where do you hear those markings?

>Odd, that's the reaction I had from the strings' first exposition.
>But when the recap goes into a repeat, you feel almost cheated, left
>on tenterhooks, hungry and deflated.  Certainly as the piece is now
>constructed, it's indispensible; the hypothetical question is, would
>an additional verse and perhaps a different ending have ruined the song,
>or would it have raised the level of intensity beyond the average L-Her's
>threshold of pain?  (Warning: this is a silly, romanticized notion of
>mine that just happens to fit all too well into my mental mythology)
>I'd like to believe the latter; although Kate admits that of the songs
>on _TD_, "Houdini" was the most emotionally demanding to write, she also
>claims that singing it was a fairly simple matter of recalling an image,
>a sensation of `almost pining for Houdini' (source: KBC Newsletter dated
>1983, as quoted in this forum last winter).
>
>Am I beating a dead phantom horse?

No. In fact, IED, upon thinking it over, more or less agrees with you.
You're right! It IS a little dull (by Katian standards) hearing the
same eight-bar passage played twice through at the end,
with the only real change coming in
Eberhard Weber's phrasing on the bass and a bit more poignancy
overall. It's not really like Kate (esp. in TD) to say something twice
in virtually the same way. Good point, mildly deflating, but actually
good fuel for IED's (now more or less abandoned) campaign to compare
HoL favourably to TD.

>While GOoMH (a terrible acronym,
>it makes me shudder) does not possess nearly the intensity of Houdini,
>at least in the humble opinion of THIS L-H, the picture that it
>paints appears to have been conceived in fair detail at a very early
>stage.  Its evolution, therefore, produced a song for which further
>refinement would have been a waste of effort; it is extremely good as
>it was left.  Houdini, in some ways like "The Big Sky", seems to represent
>the culmination of a large number of shots at a moving target and with
>this in mind, I believe it still has room to grow, even considering the
>already great investment of time and energy and the obvious brilliance
>of the work that it is.  Is Kate not the great craftsman we know she is?
>What if...  Ach, go to the previous paragraph.

Whew. IED is a bit lost. This paragraph is fraught with challenging
ideas. Unfortunately, they're all a little hard to pin down.
The interpretation of Houdini as more "intense" than
GOoMH (great!) is very sophisticated and interesting. IED's
not sure he agrees, but not because GOoMH is faster, louder, etc.
Rather, it's because there are several details in GOoMH that are
so queer, so deeply personal to Kate and therefore uninterpretable
to us, that they give the whole track a cloak of darkness, so to
speak, which is genuinely overwhelming (to IED). Houdini, on the
other hand, communicates its emotional intensity more openly,
more interpretably, so to speak, and while that doesn't militate
against your claim, it reduces the track's impact on this particular
listener just a little. In other words, while the emotion is
possibly a bit more distilled and purely expressed in Houdini
than in GOoMH, the relative mystery surrounding some moments in
GOoMH arguably creates a stronger emotional effect for the listener.
(Christ, this is effete!)

>...and the rhythm tracks and simplified progressions dominate _HoL_ just
>as the complex melodies dominate _TD_.

This is a very interesting way of looking at the two albums. IED
is inclined to accept this view, but reminds the L-Hs that before
HoL came out, TD was almost always described as being based almost
obsessively around its rhythm elements. Now, of course, we have the
benefit of hindsight, which gives us a better awareness of the importance
of the non-rhythmical components of TD, in comparison with side
one of HoL.

>Sure, HoL is much more
>refined than _TD_ as _TD_ was of its predecessor (particularly as The
>Ninth Wave was conceived as a progression of interlocked images/episodes)
>but are the images cast into such sharp relief?  I don't think so.
>_HoL_ is a vastly more subtle work, but sometimes to the point where it
>falls short.  After dozens of listenings, I find that the pseudo-
>crescendo at the end of RUTH (a popular scapegoat) does not work properly
>for me.
>I still find _The Dreaming_ to be the most ambitious of her albums,
>possessed of more energy and creativity (roughness, if you must) than any
>before or since, particularly when you consider that it was the first one
>in which she assumed total artistic control.  As a contemporary musical
>prodigy, Kate ha(s,d) few, if any, peers, but while the level of
>refinement has increased, _HoL_ represents a visit to a different
>tangent, one which I find less engaging than _TD_, if only marginally.
>`Holy writ is holy writ', I believe you once pointed out.

Your preference is understandable, as is your objection to the RUTH
climax. In general, despite his liking for the first four
tracks on side one of HoL, IED thinks of The Ninth Wave and
Cloudbusting as the meat of the album, its main achievements.
The difference is, IED believes, that in a track like Cloudbusting,
for example, the refinement -- which is admittedly extreme, even
(to a lover of TD) possibly excessive -- is nonetheless put directly
in the service of a completely original musical/poetic idea.
Despite its polish, which superficially tends to ally the track
with commercial aesthetics with which most of the L-Hs rightly want
little to do with, Cloudbusting is so completely unprecedented
in terms of integration of musical styles and genres, and of
sheer originality of melody and harmony in the field of popular
music, that it attains a level of intensity or "roughness" (in the
c 177.1tive context used here) as high as or higher than some
parts of The Dreaming. The result is that when this listener hears
Cloudbusting's technical perfection -- in Porsche terms, an almost
predictable and thus nearly boring perfection -- he is disposed
to accept it, and even to ascribe to it a high artistic value,
because the musical information which it communicates is so
patently sincere -- with the stamp of authentic Katian feeling: true
bizarreness -- that no less a degree of technical perfection
would be acceptable, and that Kate's decision to perfect it in
that way must have come out of her original inspiration -- must
have been part of the music in her head in the first place -- as
well. Is that sentence at all clear?

>I meant "passive" in a respectful sense, as much as one could imagine
>the Porsche being "passive".  When I first heard _HoL_ slightly less
>than a year ago, it immediately struck me as being the most intensely
>performed piece of modern work I'd ever listened to.  _TD_ just seems
>to be that much _more_ involving, although the exact mechanism remains
>a mystery to me.  For some reason, "Suspended in Gaffa" still evokes
>more of my emotions than anything on The Ninth Wave.  Maybe I've blown
>a fuse somewhere?

Not at all. It's very understandable. How can we have an argument
on this subject, anyway? Every time you give an example of why
you like The Dreaming more than Hounds of Love, IED's faculties
are flooded with the same ardor for that example that you have,
and he can't help but see your position. Suspended in Gaffa is
indescribably great...indescribable.

>It seems all too easy to create a |>oug Alanism here, an image of how
>a tentative current runs deep in the execution of _The Dreaming_,
>supporting a leafy raft of the thematic material itself; that microcosmic
>Kate-viewed world with its wildly strewn scenery, from the baked earth
>of aboriginal homelands to the lush curtain of an Asian jungle, from
>the warm wisps of smoke issued by a medium's candles to the damp night
>air of a London bank, from the empty, echoing promises of sorrowing friends
>to the futility of hollow aspirations; adrift in a sea of musical brine,
>borne high above the other flotsam by a swelling tide of genius, driven
>relentlessly skyward by the pull of the Bush.

That is GREAT. Jesus, that's really good writing. And the image (the
leafy raft) is terrific.
If we get more stuff in L-Hs this good, we really ought to make up
a little anthology of L-Hs writings and send it off to Kate. She
ought to get a chance to read the above.

>From Neil Calton:
>Thought that particular gentleman came from your side of the pond. As
>for the Mayfair pseudonym, the chinless wonders who constitute the
>denizens of that region of the Smoke are noted for having an
>IQ inversely proportional to their wealth.

Here?! On our turf?! The slime! Coward! Show yer face, galley-slop!
Faith! IED'll hoist you by the tops'ls, he will! Ptarmigan! Pteridactyl!
Bashi-bazouk! Billions of bilious blue blistering barnacles in a
thundering typhoon!

>and under one of those names she will live in New York with a Japanese
>musician/artist and a maniacal 'fan' will one day approach her ....
>Oh, oh, better stop the analogy here.

Yikes! That's frightening! But wait! There'd still be three of her left,
so maybe twenty years from now she'll get the three survivors
together again, and then hire the dead Kate's
one-tenth-as-talented-but-nearly-sound-alike offspring to take over her
part and participate in an unannounced one-off reunion; but it will be
something of a disappointment.

-- Andrew Marvick

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (04/18/87)

Really-From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu

KT News:
^^^^^^^^

All 6 KT albums are finally available as EMI-America CDs. There was
a long delay with some of them, but they've all shown up in Tower now,
wrapped in U.S.-style card-paper outer sleeves.

Ernest Heramia has begun a new KT-related apazine called
Watching Storms. Each contributor is asked to pay $10.00
a year, and to send in 40 copies of one 250 - 2500-word
piece of writing (or artwork) each quarter to a central address.
Anyone interested, write to him at:

167 Central Avenue
East Providence, RI 02914

Now, the mail-bag:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To Jon Drukman: You're welcome, don't mention it, etc.
To Julian Gomez: IED has been unable to deliver mail to you
because apparently the host "riacs.edu" is "unknown".
If you can help IED with your address, he'll send the interviews.
Speaking of which, did you have a particular interview in mind?
Several have been posted in L-Hs. Also, he might be able to help you
out with the Night Flight video, if no-one else offers.

>Date: Thu, 16 Apr 87 07:28:08 EST
>From: hofmann@nrl-css.arpa (James B. Hofmann)
>P.S. To IED.  You're not fooling anybody, IED.  Your discography is
>incomplete but I'm not going to be the one to tell you WHERE it's wrong.

Could you give a clue? Like for instance, which discography are
you talking about?

>The new Kate Bush song from "She's Having A Baby" is entitled
>"Make It Go Away".

O.K., Sue, your mysterious KT-fan friend told you this, right? So, what
did the song sound like? Is there any info on the film yet?
Any mention of Kate's involvement in print yet? Is the song about
the movie, or completely independent? And why doesn't the KBC ever
tell us about these things first???

Sue and Phil, you're both now on the list, re-printed below.

>I would be willing to start a second tape around, to speed the
>process up a bit (besides, I've got more cassette mailers than
>I know what to do with :-) If you'd like to be on the receiving
>end, please send your address to...

You're welcome to start another tape, Sue, esp. since the first
one will probably take a million years to make the circle now, there're
so many L-Hs requesting it. But, of course, it won't have any
of the same stuff on it. IED will update the master list occasionally,
but he cannot be responsible for people getting overlooked by the
people doing the actual mailing. If you do get another tape started,
maybe you should just assume that everyone on the first list wants
to get your tape, too -- but start from the bottom of the list
for your tape, and work your way up. That way everyone will
get SOMETHING sooner rather than later.

>Subject:  IED's demise?
>But the film isn't even going to be released until mid-June!
>I am afraid that this ensures your death! Unless the soundtrack
>is released in advance of the film, of course. Gee, we'll
>miss your interview transcriptions! :-)

God has spoken to IED again, and gave him a postponement till
the end of June. But boy! This better be legit, Sue -- the Lord
is getting steamed.

>Glad you finally found one -- so did I! It will doubtless
>be added to future "100 Most Collectable Kate Items" lists...
>IED, perhaps you could post *your* list of, say, the 10 or
>15 rarest artifaKTs (I think 100 is a bit excessive).

IED agrees totally that 100 is excessive; actually so is 10. The only
truly "rare" Kate Bush collectable record is the (possibly non-existent)
East German Demos LP called The Early Years. All other KT "rarities" are
actually just "hard-to-find", a decidedly inferior status. After all,
according to the Record Collector's price list, a new collector
could acquire every item on the entire Top 100 list by making a
total investment of 1,588 Pounds (approx. $2,223.00): you can't
even buy a Yugo for that! Furthermore, the collectors who can
get you what you want (provided you have the money) are pretty
well known and reasonably reliable. So none of these are Christie's
or Sotheby's material. The excessive length of the list
was the root of almost all of Record Collector's mistakes:
the compiler had so many spaces to fill up that
some arbitrary insertions and omissions were inevitable.

On the other hand, there are a lot
more than 100 "collectable" records that
can go for 5 Pounds or so, so the only way to make an effective
list is either to include every item, no matter how long the list,
or to make a cut-off at something like 20 Pounds. Even so, such a list
is next to meaningless, because there will always be some new
Kate fan with a poor knowledge of the market, some extra cash and a
fervor to buy, buy, buy. So what items are probably the hardest to find?
Again, hard to say, since even those items were easy for SOMEONE to find.
In other words, these lists are not very helpful. So instead, IED will
list ten items which he feels are probably the most INHERENTLY
worthwhile, even at inflated prices. That's about the best he can do.
Notice that no ordinary promotional copies are included, and only
one white-label makes the list. In general, the premium on such items
is artificial, and annoying to this fan.

Top 10 ColleKTable Records

 1. The Early Years (East German Demos LP).
    If it exists at all, then its value is immeasurable.
    An album of Kate's earliest performances -- pre-falsetto-era --
    from the period of (and possibly including) "Passing Through Air"
    and "Maybe". Like going back in time to witness the birth of God.

 2. Let It Be (ca. 1981; Kate Bush Club of Japan flexidisc).
    With brief spoken messages from Kate and John Carder Bush. This
    is quite rare; but more importantly, it is extremely interesting.
    It gives a very strong and atmospheric impression of the ethos
    of the Bush family, plus a recording of Kate's most ingenuous
    and (arguably) least artistic performance. For Kate fans it
    has to be a remarkable icon.

 3. The Bristol concert bootleg cassette (with a photo of silent film
    star Louise Brooks on the cover.)
    IED has never heard of anyone else having a copy of this tape,
    but it is almost certainly not rare. In IED's opinion,
    this unedited two-hour bootleg of one of Kate's Tour of Life
    shows is invaluable. It includes not only nearly all of the songs
    from the concert -- including the alternate early version of
    Egypt -- but most of the incidental music, chants and
    readings, as well. By contrast, all of the U.S.-made bootleg LPs
    feature radically edited excerpts from the live performances.

 4. An Interview with Kate Bush (Canadian promo LP, EMI America SPRO 282).
    This is the more recent of the two official interview
    LPs, and it features a few interesting moments. It's also
    supposed to be very rare.

 5. Kate Bush Self-Portrait (U.S. promo LP, EMI America SSA 3024).
    A very early interview (done in the summer of 1978). Kate is
    young and filled with enthusiasm. It makes a marked contrast
    from Number 4.

 6. The Kick Inside (UK white-label test pressing in folder cover with
    photos & biography).
    One of the few white-labels for which the high price may be justified.
    It is very rare, is specially packaged, and supposedly has terrific
    sound. Except that the CD has even better sound; and anyway, if the
    LP gets played, its sound deteriorates and its value goes way
    down. So what's the point?

 7. The Kick Inside Picture-Disk (original edition).
    Not really any higher quality than the later re-pressing, but its
    authenticity may still be of value to some collectors.

 8. The Single File (original numbered edition).
    As with number 7, the original run of this item is no better
    than the later unnumbered edition, but its verifiable rarity
    gives it some value. The actual records are cheap re-prints,
    so collectors of singles would do better to concentrate on
    finding mint copies of the original U.K. picture-sleeve singles.

 9. A tie between all of Kate's original U.K. picture-sleeve singles:
    Wuthering Heights, The Man With the Child in his Eyes, Hammer
    Horror, Wow and the Kate Bush On Stage double-pack.
    In perfect condition these are worth alot of money, and are
    genuinely valuable artifacts.

 10. A tie between A Symphony in Blue (Canadian blue vinyl),
     Wow (Canadian yellow vinyl), Wuthering Heights (U.S. gold vinyl),
     Babooshka (Russian blue vinyl flexi), and
     a complete set of the Canadian mini-album (in Green, White,
     brown, red, blue and clear vinyl).
     These were all genuinely limited editions, unlike the
     U.S. marbleized Hounds of Love LPs and cassettes, of which a great
     number were pressed. The fact that the marbleized items bring
     a very high price nowadays doesn't mean they're worth it.

>Houdini seems a bit calculated in comparison,
>although there's obviously genuine feeling in it too.  Still, "Get Out
>Of My House" was placed at the very end of the album for a reason - to
>shock the listener, to scare him/her and to make him/her ruminate on
>the past ten songs... think about the themes brought up, the locales
>visited, etc.  We've just taken a trip through Kate's mind (house) and
>now she wants us OUT!!  Think about _that_ next time you plunk the
>CD in your player.
>
>--Jon

An interesting interpretation. GOoMH certainly is an inhospitable track!
About your comment that Houdini seems comparatively more "calculated",
IED respectfully disagrees. In general, the music which is accused of
being calculated, manipulative, insincere or affected is comparatively
quieter, more contemplative, more openly confessional and less aggressive
than that which is judged to be less calculated, manipulative, etc.
In fact, in this case, GOoMH is about as highly calculated and
elaborately designed and polished as anything in pop music. But because
it features such APPARENTLY spontaneous, aggressive vocals, etc.,
which mainly communicate emotions of anger and terror -- emotions
seldom associated with affectation and preciousness -- it can easily
be mistaken for a spontaneous piece of work, something it is not.

>Oops, I meant to give you mine, too.  But I don't need to be high on
>the list.  Not sure I have any rock esoteric enough myself, but I can
>probably borrow some.  Unless you want a track of Bulgarian choral
>music or Hungarian dance tunes. (Seriously, that's what I collect,
>folk dance records and such).

Personally, IED would love to hear some of that on the tape.
Your misgivings prompt a reminder to all potential KonTributors and
listeners that the KompilaTion tape places NO restrictions on
content. Love-Hounds are encouraged to put ANYTHING THEY DAMN
WELL LIKE on the tape(s)! The more diverse and weird the
collection the better. Above all, don't be too concerned that
one or more listeners might already have heard something you
want to put on the tape: If even one listener is unfamiliar with
a recording and discovers something he likes as a result, that's
more than enough justification for putting it on in the first place.
And reverse snobbism is just as bad as the opposite. In other words,
if you want Barry Manilow on the tape, put him on! (AARRGGHHHHH!!!!)
In fact, there's not even any restriction against Kate Bush --
if that's what you like, put it on! (But don't worry, IED didn't
include her.) The only suggestion would be to keep in mind your
time limitations, and design your set so as to maximize outsiders'
interest and minimize fast-forwards.

Here's the list as it stands now:

 1. IED0DXM
    c/o Andrew Marvick
    10499 Wilkins Avenue
    Los Angeles, CA 90024

 2. Mark Kat(e)souros
    1807 Fox St. #104
    Adelphi, MD 20783-2353

 3. john labovitz
    3314 farthing drive
    silver spring, maryland 20906

 4. Gregory Taylor/602 Russell St./Madison,
    602 Russell Street
    Madison, WI 53704

 5. Joe Testa
    196 W. 11th Ave.