[mod.music.gaffa] misK.

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (01/15/87)

Really-From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

Well, IED attended, at Mr. Traynor's
request, Henry Rollins's performance
on UCLA campus last night. Rollins was very
funny. IED doesn't wish to take anything
away from Rollins -- he was very funny.

So what's the big deal?

Your description of yourselves did not
reach me until after the event, but you
must have been blind to all but your idol
Mr. R. not to have spotted IED, who was
wearing the badge of God and the Holy
Raiment of the 1985 Romford Convention, and
standing where anyone could witness these
True and Only Signs of God.
By the way, wasn't that black feminist
poetess who was on before Rollins
TERRIBLE?

Oh, if someone was sending
messages to IED yesterday and getting
no replies to them (someone named
Jeremy, maybe?), that's because it
wasn't IED himself who was receiving the
messages. IED's account is used by someone
else, as well, and he had no idea what the
messages meant, so ignored them. Sorry.
Please try again.

To Jonathan Drukman:

It's very interesting that you suggest
making a track of just the rhythm section
of "Sat In Your Lap".

First of all, let IED just say that he
didn't mean to imply that "Sat In Your Lap"
-- or any other Kate Bush track, for that matter --
wouldn't be magnificent in an extended form.
In fact, IED has for several years been making
extended home mixes of her records, and two of them
are of "Sat In Your Lap". One was a forty-five
minute loop, alternating between the LP and seven-inch
mixes. The other, interestingly enough, incorporated
the solo rhythm section of the record (about which you fantasize)
taken off the "Looking Good, Feeling Fit" TV appearance by
Kate (UK TV), in which she was shown dancing in a studio
to the drum track (without the other music). Of course,
the sound is absolutely terrible, but it still sounds
amazing.

IED's only objection earlier was to the idea that
Kate's original was FLAWED by being compressed into three minutes
and some odd seconds' length. It may be more satisfying to some
listeners to hear a longer version, but that's their affair, and
has nothing to do with the success of the original.

To Sue T:
Sorry, IED no longer has that old stuff in his files, and
can't really remember the details. However, as he recalls,
all he did was voice sympathy for your ill treatment at other
l-hs' hands, and suggest that you not just disappear. By "former
tone", he meant that your (apparently) sudden announcement of
concession and departure from the scene indicated that you had
been unduly upset, and this seemed an unfortunate shift in tone.
OF COURSE you have never been abusive yourself -- never had such a
notion.
Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (02/03/87)

Really-From: IED0DXM@UCLAMVS

>As I have demonstrated in the past, I can be really fucking dumb.  In
>regard to IED's quasi-intellectual view of a Kate centered universe (and
>this is, of course, his right since we are still granted freedom of
>religion by the constitution), I have decided to treat it as I would any
>religious fanaticism.  After all, IED could just as well be a Scientologist
>Born again Christian, or noveau-LaRouchians a Bushian (somehow this
>seems somewhat Fruedian when stated this way).  I guess that my real
>problem in dealing with this issue is that I still don't see the issue.
>Now{ if that's not really fucking dumb, nothing is.  Also, if IED is willing
>to define any of the concepts he refers to in terms unrelated to Kate Bush
>or other rhetorical tautology, maybe he can impart his special wisdom to
>the rest of us dumb fucking dumbells (or should that just be fucking
>dumbells?).
>
>John

IED's use of language yesterday (admittedly extravagant) seems to have
hit a sore spot with its intended reader. For this he apologizes
abjectly.

Love-Hounds will note that John's missive includes not the
slightest real information regarding the actual points
that were directed at him. Instead he resorts to the usual
Love-Hounds shortcut of dismissing the substantive content of
IED's communiques with silly, unsupported allegations about
religious fervor.

-- Andrew Marvick

>*The Dreaming* is out on CD!!! Oh, frabjious day, calloo calleee!
>
>This news brings me one more fleeting moment of happiness in the
>barren, futile desert we call life.
>
>            -Doug

Doug, does this mean that you've actually seen a copy, or
just that you've heard about it? No offense meant, but
you can understand IED's skepticism about this product, I'm
sure. If it's really here, could you tell us whether it's
an import or a domestic release, and if domestic, is the actual
CD inside U.S.-made or foreign?

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (02/22/87)

Really-From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu

KT NEWS:

The CD of Never For Ever (a German pressing) is now in import
stores in the L.A. area. Residents should hurry to Aron's,
where they just got a LARGE number of The Dreaming and Never For
Ever CDs in, but three were sold in the first five minutes or so.

Mail bag:
>Hey, IED, I'm STILL waiting for you to damn the Butthole Surfers as
>un-Kate-like and therfore "bad."  Wattsamattah?  Can't RISE to the
>challenge, boy?
>
>                                                            "Yeah" - Lennon
>
>                                                            James Hofmann

Sorry, Hofmann got mistaken for Wicinski. (Is there any real difference)?
Anyway, |>oug already "shredded" (to use the popular L-Hs term) your
comparison.

>From: drukman%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
>          (Jonathan S. Drukman)
>Subject:  Goddamn mailer trashed my message
>
>I had written a real pithy and incisive reply to another one of IED's
>attempts to put Experiment IV among the gods, but it got lost somewhere
>between Here and There.  So, without the benefit of the original posting,
>I will try to get my points across.
>
>IED accused :>oug and myself of being "weird" merely because we singled
>out ONE track from "The Ninth Wave" as an example of a song superior
>to Experiment IV... I would like to remind IED that Kate herself saw
>fit to release "Jig Of Life" (the track mentioned) as the B-Side to a
>12"... So maybe IED is the one who is weird (or maybe IED is irreproachable
>and KATE is the one being weird here...)
>
>IED also rebutted my opinion of the violin intro as "weepy" by saying
>something like "it is NOT weepy!"  Well, I said it sounds weepy to me,
>and unless IED is going to volunteer some concrete way of telling whether
>a passage is "weepy" or not, my opinion will have to stand.
>
>The other point was IED's gross misinterpretation of my joke ("Skylarking"
>is the number two album, but I don't know what the number one album is)
>as an example of "sloppy thinking".  GET REAL IED, CAN'T YOU TELL ATTEMPTED
>HUMOR WHEN YOU READ IT??  Or maybe you could come down off your high horse
>long enough to read a sentence twice and think about it logically:  could
>that phrase be interpreted as saying something like "well it's definitely
>one of the best albums of the year, but I can't or don't feel like assigning
>absolute ratings to them"?  I think so.
>
>--Jon Drukman
>"So *this* is why the hippies like paisley"
>   -first time acid tripper

All of the above DID get through the first time. It
didn't get lost, and it was all answered at length.

>Sender: Paul Benjamin <Benjamin@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA>
>I don't wanna discuss the people that dance to the music.  I wanna hear

Ditto.

>I wanna hear about the music itself.

Same here.

-- Andrew Marvick

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (03/28/87)

Really-From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu

>>Q:  While it has been touched upon in the past, can any of you KB fans shed
>>opinions/serious info as to why she has never "caught on" in the US?
>>Think of the arguments this will spawn!
>>Prepare for volumuous IED postings!
>>
>>s e v

No need. Doesn't bother him at all.

>Sure--she has a really dumb voice.  Americans don't put up with dumb voices.
>
>--John

That's why Bruce Springsteen is so popular: his
voice oozes intelligence and sophistication.
Ditto Mick Jagger, Huey Lewis, Tom Petty, Bob Seger, Louis Armstrong, The
Bee-Gees, Chrissie Hynde, Pee-Wee Herman, Simon LeBon, etc.: Americans
wouldn't put up with these people if they had dumb voices.

Sorry for the delay with part two of the Zwort Finkle interview.
Coming as soon as possible.

-- Andrew

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (04/09/87)

Really-From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu

Hi, folks. Having calmed down since yesterday's flame,
IED is ready to face your collective wrath, scorn or both.
(Maybe he's just getting more paranoid...) Well? Do you all
think he was out of line for panning the Zeebrugge record
just because its cause was so lofty?

Thanks for all the info about the "Cloudbusting" CD,
Sue. IED finally managed to get hold of one yesterday --
and it only cost $6.99! Obviously the store-keeper didn't
know the market potential of his merchandise.
The sound on the Organon Re-Mix is unbelievable.

Also, the Peter Gabriel CD-EP of "Big Time", with the
re-mix plus "Curtains" and a couple of other tracks, is
out. IED's earlier description of the disks as being
smaller than normal CDs was wrong, at least regarding
these examples. Their size was misleading to him in their
single-sleeve-type packaging, because they look like shrunken
seven-inch singles. Sony is supposed to be trying to
convince manufacturers to adopt a 3 1/2 inch CD for the
singles market, but so far no one has adopted the idea.

-- Andrew

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (04/10/87)

Really-From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu

Thanks to Neil for yet more news.
Video KaTalogue now available upon private request.
Love-Hounds compilation tape well on its way now.

-- Andrew

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (04/19/87)

Really-From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu

Thanks to Spike for the Rolling Stone notice,
and to Dave Pearlman for the reminder about acetates.

Mark, give Andy a ring if you're in town. He's got
an old walkman that he wouldn't mind drilling holes
in, providing you could show him where to drill.
Better yet, if you could drop by with a cassette
of the backwards and slowed-down tracks, it would
be much appreciated. So far, however, playing "X4"
backwards and slowed down by hand on a turntable,
IED still hears "I bet my mum's gonna give me a little toy,"
just as clear as day. Your interpretation is very
hard to hear under the present non-laboratory conditions.
IED would be happy to be shown the error of his ways, however.
10499 Wilkins Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90024 (213) 474-5208

-- Andrew Marvick

Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU.UUCP (04/22/87)

Really-From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu

Here is the latest version of the Love-Hounds KompilaTion Tape list:

 1. Andrew Marvick
    10499 Wilkins Avenue
    Los Angeles, CA 90024

 2. Mark Kat(e)souros
    1807 Fox St. #104
    Adelphi, MD 20783-2353

 3. john labovitz
    3314 farthing drive
    silver spring, maryland 20906

 4. Gregory Taylor/602 Russell St./Madison,
    602 Russell Street
    Madison, WI 53704

 5. Joe Testa
    196 W. 11th Ave.
    Columbus, OH 43210

 6. Peter E. Lee
    24 Puffton Village
    Amherst, MA 01002

 7. Joe Turner
    329 Ward Street
    Newton Center, MA 02139
    (617) 965-8058/969-5993

 8. Mark Ganzer
    4670 Chateau Dr
    San Diego, CA 92117

 9. Walter Henry
    xb.k98@forsyth.stanford.edu  <ARPA>

10. Dan Hall
    71 High St, Apt 2T
    Exeter, NH  03833-2908

11. Andrew Elliott
    70 Caliente
    Reno Nevada 89509
    (702) 786-8762

12. Peter Alfke
    341 S. Holliston
    Pasadena, CA 91106

13. Sue Trowbridge
    4401 Roland Avenue
    Apartment 215
    Baltimore, MD 21210

14. Phil Stephens
    4066 Yellowstone Drive,
    San Jose, Cal 95130

15. Craig M. Kanarick
    97 Willard Road
    Brookline, MA  02146

16. Jeff Dalton <jeff%aiva.edinburgh.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
    AIAI
    University of Edinburgh
    80 South Bridge
    Edinburgh EH1 1HN
    Scotland

17. Bob Krovetz <Krovetz@umass.csnet>, <Krovetz@umass.bitnet>
    285 Main St., Apt. 1
    Amherst, MA. 01002

KTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTK

Well, IED finally got ahold of the Castaway soundtrack LP.
"Be Kind to My Mistakes" is 3:39, and there's also one Eno/Lanois
track on the LP; plus a bunch of Stanley Meyers filmscoring.

The Whole Story video was supposed to have been released to
retailers on Monday the 19th. In fact, however, it's still
not quite out, but EMI insist it will be out by the end of
the week. The Whole Story includes the promotional films
for all the tracks on the greatest hits LP, including a
"new" video of "Wow" using clips from live performances;
and one extra film, "The Big Sky", thus making the older
Hair of the Hound video completely superfluous.

-- Andrew