[net.sf-lovers] Movies

ginsburg@ozone.DEC (MIKE GINSBURG DTN 231-6641) (05/19/85)

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Movies Scheduled for Summer Release:
Extracted from the Boston Globe "CALENDAR" section May 16,1985.

Text in quotes is from the GLOBE.

"RETURN TO OZ" (MAY 24) - Walt Disney Studios- "The story relies more on
special effects than the old song and dance routine"

"COCOON" (June 7) - "science fiction adventure starring a vast array of veteran
stars" directed by Ron Howard ("SPLASH")

"THE GOONIES" (June 7) - Steven Spielberg "shrouded in secrecy"..."kids who
discover a secret map that leads them into a ""thrilling adventure""

"THE BRIDE" (June 21) - stars Sting (DUNE) and Jennifer Beals (FLASHDANCE)
"a remake of ""THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN""

"BACK TO THE FUTURE" (June 21) - produced by Steven Spielberg "keeping a lid
on the plot" ... "story of a contemporary teenager who returns to the '50's
and falls in love with his mother"  Sounds like an old Robert Silverberg story
I read!

"RED SONJA" (June 28) - "sword, sex and sorcery epic" starring
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sandahl Bergman.

"LIFEFORCE" (June 28) - "an astronaut who discovers a cargo of frozen bodies
on an alien spaceship" directed by Tobe Hooper ("TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE")

"THE BLACK CAULDRON" (July 12) - first major new Disney animation in 5 years.
"could be the summer's surprise hit" No mention of the story but the title
sounds promising.

"WEIRD SCIENCE" (July 12) - "sci-fi comedy"

"EXPLORERS" (July 12) - "another fantasy about kids and strange happenings"
directed by Joe Dante ("GREMLINS")

"MAD MAX - BEYOND THUNDERDOME" (July 12) - Tina Turner costars with Mel Gibson.

"THE HEAVENLY KID" (July 19) - "teenage hotrodder sent back to Earth as an angel
to help a shy teenager"

"CLAN OF THE CAVE BEAR" (August) - stars Daryl Hannah ("SPLASH")

					Enjoy,
						Mike Ginsburg
						DEC - Medical Systems Group
						Marlboro, Ma.
						"for duty and humanity" -
						The Three Stooges
Apologies if someone's already sent this out.

ccs019@ucdavis.UUCP (Allan McKillop) (05/22/85)

> Mike Ginsburg writes:

> "THE BLACK CAULDRON" (July 12) - first major new Disney animation in 5 years.
> "could be the summer's surprise hit" No mention of the story but the title
> sounds promising.

I read these books back when I was a small lad.  They are a 5 book series
written by Llyod Alexander, and are based upon Welsh legends.  I lkied
them when I read them, and I am looking forward to seeing Disney's
adapation (especially since THE BLACK CAULDRON is the second book in the
series...).

--

Allan McKillop
(...ucbvax!ucdavis!minnie!ccs019)

" Where there's a will, there's a relative..."