[net.sf-lovers] The Man Who Could Work Miracles

@RUTGERS.ARPA:Margolin.Multics@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA (05/08/85)

From: Barry Margolin <Margolin@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA>

     From: mtgzz!leeper@topaz.arpa (m.r.leeper)
     Subject: GREAT SF STORIES (1939)

     ... There is
     even a reference in the story to a similar story in the film THE MAN
     WHO COULD WORK MIRACLES.  ...

Just to set the record straight, the film TMWCWM is based on the short
story of the same name by a relatively unknown author named H.G.  Wells.
The story is actually very short (about five pages), and quite
enjoyable.  I read it about eight years ago while leaning against the
library stacks.  I had previously seen the film, and it is a good
adaptation.
                                        barmar

pete@stc.UUCP (Peter Kendell) (05/14/85)

In article <1925@topaz.ARPA> @RUTGERS.ARPA:Margolin.Multics@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA writes:
>From: Barry Margolin <Margolin@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA>
>
>     From: mtgzz!leeper@topaz.arpa (m.r.leeper)
>     Subject: GREAT SF STORIES (1939)
>
>     ... There is
>     even a reference in the story to a similar story in the film THE MAN
>     WHO COULD WORK MIRACLES.  ...
>
>Just to set the record straight, the film TMWCWM is based on the short
>story of the same name by a relatively unknown author named H.G.  Wells.
>The story is actually very short (about five pages), and quite
>enjoyable.  I read it about eight years ago while leaning against the
>library stacks.  I had previously seen the film, and it is a good
>adaptation.
>                                        barmar

FLAMEFLAMEFLAMEFLAMEFLAMEFLAME

	H.G. Wells unknown??? When and where were you born??? To speak of
	one of the founders of modern SF like this is ridiculous. Many of
	his stories (The Time Machine - it invented the time-travel genre,
	War of the Worlds - better written and more exciting + logical
	than any of its successors) stand up today better than the
	forgotten work of later writers.

FLAMEOFF

	The film of WOTW (1950s) is a fair attempt at moving the story
	from the English Home Counties to California -try it.

--
	Peter Kendell <pete@stc.UUCP>

	...mcvax!ukc!stc!pete

	My opinions are my own alone

brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust) (05/21/85)

> In article <1925@topaz.ARPA> @RUTGERS.ARPA:Margolin.Multics@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA writes:
> >From: Barry Margolin <Margolin@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA>
> >
> >     From: mtgzz!leeper@topaz.arpa (m.r.leeper)
> >     Subject: GREAT SF STORIES (1939)
> >
> >     ... There is
> >     even a reference in the story to a similar story in the film THE MAN
> >     WHO COULD WORK MIRACLES.  ...
> >
> >Just to set the record straight, the film TMWCWM is based on the short
> >story of the same name by a relatively unknown author named H.G.  Wells.
> >The story is actually very short (about five pages), and quite
> >enjoyable.  I read it about eight years ago while leaning against the
> >library stacks.  I had previously seen the film, and it is a good
> >adaptation.
> >                                        barmar
>

> FLAMEFLAMEFLAMEFLAMEFLAMEFLAME
>
> 	H.G. Wells unknown??? When and where were you born??? To speak of
> 	one of the founders of modern SF like this is ridiculous. Many of
> 	his stories (The Time Machine - it invented the time-travel genre,
> 	War of the Worlds - better written and more exciting + logical
> 	than any of its successors) stand up today better than the
> 	forgotten work of later writers.
>
> FLAMEOFF
>
> 	The film of WOTW (1950s) is a fair attempt at moving the story
> 	from the English Home Counties to California -try it.
>

> --
> 	Peter Kendell <pete@stc.UUCP>
>
> 	...mcvax!ukc!stc!pete
>
> 	My opinions are my own alone

Someone has said that sarcasm and irony are impossible
on the net.  No.  It's just that, on the net or elsewhere,
there are people who wouldn't recognize them if it
bit them.

		-- SKZB

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (05/23/85)

Actually I didn't say any of the things quoted in this article, they
were all in responses to my original article on SF: THE GREAT YEARS.
I did not draw the connection to THE MAN WHO COULD WORK MIRACLES, I
guess that was Margolin, though I not longer have the original.
Nonethless, I think pete is missing his sense of humor.  To call Wells
a relative unknown was a facetious touch, or so I interpretted it.  I
was once making a list of obscure science fiction films worth watching
for and included STAR WARS.  I would hazard a guess that worldwide
Wells is the best known science fiction author.  Deservedly so.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper