[net.sf-lovers] Pet Peeve with SF Titles

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (05/18/85)

This is one of my pet peeves with some science fiction writers.  Back
in the days of the Saturday afternoon serials they would give them
flambouyant names line KING OF THE ROCKET MEN.  This would conjure up
in kiddees' minds some society of rocket scientists somewhere and some
super-scientist ruling over it.  Actually it was about one man with a
rocket suit named Jeff King.  So the "rocket men" are all one man named
King.  This title promises one sort of story and the film delivers
something fairly different with the implicit statement "Oh, sorry if
you misunderstood our title."

In fact, we see the same game played by respected science fiction
authors.  A prime example just came to my attention.  Orsen Scott Card
titled a recent novel ENDER'S GAME.  That title conjures up interesting
ideas.  In fact many games can be turned over in the end-game.  Players
in various games can "shoot-the-moon" as they see some sort of game
coming to an end.  Particularly since they have nothing to lose.
Somebody with a good endgame plan can make any sort of game
interesting.  This is just the principle that might make Card's
alien invasion story interesting.  It may even be there.  But I just
read a review of the story that said the story took its name from the
main character named Ender.  "Oh, sorry if you misunderstood the
title."

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper

ariels@orca.UUCP (Ariel Shattan) (05/20/85)

Mark Leeper wrote:

> This is one of my pet peeves with some science fiction writers.
 [...]
> This title promises one sort of story and the film delivers
> something fairly different with the implicit statement "Oh, sorry if
> you misunderstood our title."

> In fact, we see the same game played by respected science fiction
> authors.  A prime example just came to my attention.  Orsen Scott Card
> titled a recent novel ENDER'S GAME.  That title conjures up interesting
> ideas.  In fact many games can be turned over in the end-game.  Players
> in various games can "shoot-the-moon" as they see some sort of game
> coming to an end.  Particularly since they have nothing to lose.
> Somebody with a good endgame plan can make any sort of game
> interesting.  This is just the principle that might make Card's
> alien invasion story interesting.  It may even be there.  But I just
> read a review of the story that said the story took its name from the
> main character named Ender.  "Oh, sorry if you misunderstood the
> title."

First, "Ender's Game" is a short story (well, maybe novellette). It
first appeared in Analog, and is anthologized in UNACCOMPANIED
SONATA.

Second, "Ender's Game" does get it's title from the name of the main
character, true.  But, the "Game" in the title is also very
important.  And the "endgame" idea is also part of the story.  I
understand your pet peeve, but it just doesn't wash with this
particular story.

Third, this story happens to be excellent (as is the entire
collection).  If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it.  It's
the kind of story who's plot sticks with you long after you've
forgotten the title.

Ariel Shattan
..!tektronix!orca!ariels

psc@lzwi.UUCP (P.S.CHISHOLM) (05/21/85)

In article <762@mtgzz.UUCP>, leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) writes:
>                                                       Orsen Scott Card
> titled a recent novel ENDER'S GAME.  That title conjures up interesting
> ideas.  In fact many games can be turned over in the end-game.  Players
> in various games can "shoot-the-moon" as they see some sort of game
> coming to an end.  Particularly since they have nothing to lose.
> Somebody with a good endgame plan can make any sort of game
> interesting.  This is just the principle that might make Card's
> alien invasion story interesting.  It may even be there.  But I just
> read a review of the story that said the story took its name from the
> main character named Ender.  "Oh, sorry if you misunderstood the
> title."  			Mark Leeper 	...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper

<Prelude:  do any of you remember the Point/Counterpoint takeoff that
Saturday Night Live used to do?  Jane Curtain would present a slightly
liberal, uncontroversial opinion.  Dan Ackroyd would look at her in
disgust and say, "Jane, you ignorant slut," after which would follow
a gross exaggeration of conservative views.>

Mark, you ignorant vid.

I'm sorry if watching all those childish "Sci Fi" movies has rotted your
brain to the point where you can't read anything more complicated than
credits.  Maybe pinning your hopes on such trash, only to have them
dashed against the cruel reality of Grade B Hollywood refuse, has soured
you to the point where you can no longer dream, no longer hope, no
longer do any more than pick nits on peripheral issues.

But what can you expect from someone who thinks FIVE MILLION YEARS TO
EARTH is the greatest SF film ever made?

<Note to everyone:  insert a LARGE smiley face over the above satire.
Note to Mark Leeper:  Gee, just kidding.  Honest.  I'll even get my
article in on time this year.  Note to Evelyn Leeper:  No, no, I didn't
mean it, don't hit me!>

Actually, Mark brings up a good point.  The title of ENDER'S GAME really
is a double entendre, and I didn't even realize it.  Yes, it's about
a game (or several games) played by Ender Wiggen, but it's also about
the final moves in . . . some other game.  One way or another.  Sort
of.  I ain't gonna spoil it for you: read the book.
--
       -Paul S. R. Chisholm       The above opinions are my own,
       {pegasus,vax135}!lzwi!psc  not necessarily those of any

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (05/23/85)

GUILTY!  GUILTY!!!

As I said in my original posting, I was basing my comment on something
I read in a review.  I was disappointed that the title seemed to refer
to endgames, not the game of someone named Ender.  Apparently it was
both and I half stuck my foot in my mouth.  I still don't like the fact
a character had his name chosen as a pun.  I could instead have picked
NINE PRINCES IN AMBER, a picturesque title, but it is not about anyone
stuck in the material Amber.  That one I did read.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper