[net.sf-lovers] SDIII: TSfS

Purtill.SIPB@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA (05/23/85)

From: Mark Purtill <Purtill@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA>

<Fnord> > .  How, with Saavik on board, could Kirk have innocently
buried > Spock in space without knowing any better?  Any of the
following reasons will do: 1.  Saavik didn't know either, since she was
raised Romulan, and only came to Vulcan later.  2.  Saavik didn't know
Spock "dumped" into McCoy, so she assumed he was gone, and didn't see
any point in bringing the matter up, since it would just make Kirk et.
al.  feel worse.  3.  As I recall the novelisation, there was something
about Spock figuring that as a half-human, he wouldn't be allowed to
contribute his "soul" (I've forgotten the vulcan word used) to the "soul
bank" back on Vulcan.  Perhapshe told Saavick this and/or she thought so
too.  > .  When the Klingons are cloaked and getting ready to attack the
> Enterprise, its distance is reported as being 5000 kilograms(!!) No
doubt I should explain this one two.  This is due to the revolutionary
theory of "Berglundic relativity," which has as a consequence that
D=mb^2, so that just as now physicists talk about masses (of elementary
particles) in terms of Bev's and Gev's (units of energy), in the
twenty-third century, they refer to distances in terms of mass.  (:-),
in case you hadn't guessed.)

       Mark
^.-.^  Purtill at MIT-MULTICS.ARPA    **Insert favorite disclaimer here**
(("))  2-032 MIT Cambrige MA 02139

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (05/23/85)

> > Enterprise, its distance is reported as being 5000 kilograms(!!) No
> doubt I should explain this one two.  This is due to the revolutionary
> theory of "Berglundic relativity," which has as a consequence that
> D=mb^2, so that just as now physicists talk about masses (of elementary
> particles) in terms of Bev's and Gev's (units of energy), in the
> twenty-third century, they refer to distances in terms of mass.  (:-),
> in case you hadn't guessed.)

Actually, one can already translate between mass and distance as the two
are related directly to one another in two different ways.

One, in GR there is an equivalence given by MassxNewton's constant/c^2=distance
A distance of 5000 kilograms is therefore about 3x10^-22 centimeters!
  :-)

Two, perhaps they meant the Compton wavelength of that amount of mass.
In this case Distance= Planck's constant/(massxc).  In this way we obtain
about 10^-44 centimeters.

Either way we see that the cloaking device is amazingly effective at close
quarters!

"Don't argue with a fool.      Ethan Vishniac
 Borrow his money."            {charm,ut-sally,ut-ngp,noao}!utastro!ethan
                               Department of Astronomy
                               University of Texas