[net.sf-lovers] Amber Waves etc

jim@TYCHO.ARPA (05/21/85)

From: jim@TYCHO.ARPA    (James B. Houser)

        Finished reading the Trumps of Doom (why the  sudden  rash  of
_people_underlining_book_titles_?)  last  night.  A clasic case of "if
you liked the other books in the series ...".  One complaint  is  that
dispite  all  the action not much really happens in this novel.  It is
more of a stream of conciousness type affair.  One interesting note is
that  the  book  is  set  only  a few years after the battle in chaos.
Generally enjoyable though.

        One thing  I  have  noticed  recently  is  a  rash  of  fairly
reputable  SF  writers including their computers in a novel.  There is
some of this in TOD but the last Gateway story is  probably  a  better
example.  I  have  an  image  of these guys being given a Trash-80 for
their birthday and after a month or so the illness strikes.  Getting a
little  tired  of  every  protaganist being a computer whiz especially
when the writer has only a superficial background to go on.

-------

davidk@dartvax.UUCP (David C. Kovar) (05/23/85)

>         One thing  I  have  noticed  recently  is  a  rash  of  fairly
> reputable  SF  writers including their computers in a novel.  There is
> some of this in TOD but the last Gateway story is  probably  a  better
> example.  I  have  an  image  of these guys being given a Trash-80 for
> their birthday and after a month or so the illness strikes.  Getting a
> little  tired  of  every  protaganist being a computer whiz especially
> when the writer has only a superficial background to go on.

  Zelazny wrote "Coils" with Saberhagen (sp?) many moons ago, before
it was a craze. He also wrote "The Changling" and another one in the
same world. All three of these did a goo job of dealing with technology,
and "Coils" with computers specifically. I hope that you were not
grouping Zelazny in the "... writer has only a superficial background...".
Though, I must admit, I was not too wild about the Ghostwheel. But it was
a bit more than your average computer ... :-)

--
David C. Kovar
	    USNET:      {linus|decvax|cornell|astrovax}!dartvax!davidk%amber

"I felt like a punk who'd gone out for a switchblade and come back
 with a tactical nuke.

 'Shit', I thought. 'Screwed again. What good's a tactical nuke in a
  street fight?'"
			"Burning Chrome" by William Gibson