[mod.announce.newusers] Changes to Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

usenet@gatech.CSNET (07/01/86)

*** old/questions.n	Sat May  3 19:49:11 1986
--- src/questions.n	Mon Jun 30 11:38:18 1986
***************
*** 1,2
! Newsgroups: net.announce.newusers
  Expires: 40days

--- 1,2 -----
! Newsgroups: mod.announce.newusers
  Expires: 40days
***************
*** 5,7
! [Most recent change: 24 January 1986 by spaf]

--- 5,7 -----
! [Most recent change: 19 June 1986 by spaf]

***************
*** 224

--- 224,230 -----

+ 20.  What is the origin of the name "grep"?
+
+      The exact origin of the name is shrouded in the mists of
+      prehistory, but one explanation is often given:  The command
+      g/re/p in the original UNIX text editor "ed" was used so often it
+      was packaged up into a command that was obviously named "grep."

usenet@gatech.CSNET (09/01/86)

*** old/questions.n	Tue Jul  1 00:18:05 1986
--- src/questions.n	Sat Aug 30 15:16:26 1986
***************
*** 5,7
! [Most recent change: 19 June 1986 by spaf]

--- 5,7 -----
! [Most recent change: 30 August 1986 by weemba@brahms.berkeley.edu]

***************
*** 102,105

! 10.  net.games: Where can I get the source for empire or
!      rogue?

--- 102,104 -----

! 10.  net.games: Where can I get the source for empire or rogue?

***************
*** 107,108
       their right, have chosen not to make the sources available.

--- 106,108 -----
       their right, have chosen not to make the sources available.
+      The source to empire is not currently available, either.

***************
*** 108,113

-      The source for empire is available from John Buck provided you have
-      the necessary Unix license.  Contact him at ...philabs!polyf!john
-      for details.
-
  11.  net.unix-wizards: How do I remove files with non-ascii

--- 108,109 -----

--- 226,229 -----
       was packaged up into a command that was obviously named "grep."
+
+      According to Kernighan/Plauger _Software Tools in Pascal_, it
+      stands for "Globally look for Regular Expressions and Print."

usenet@gatech.EDU (11/02/86)

*** old/questions.n	Mon Sep  1 00:18:17 1986
--- src/questions.n	Sat Nov  1 14:35:03 1986
***************
*** 5,7 ****
! [Most recent change: 30 August 1986 by weemba@brahms.berkeley.edu]

--- 5,7 ----
! [Most recent change: 31 October 1986 by weemba@brahms.berkeley.edu]

***************
*** 86,88 ****

!  8.  net.general: Is John Doe out there anywhere?

--- 86,88 ----

!  8.  misc.misc or misc.wanted: Is John Doe out there anywhere?

***************
*** 94,98 ****
       at a different location.  If you must try the net, use newsgroup
!      net.net-people *NOT* net.general.

!  9.  net.math: Proofs that 1=0.

--- 94,98 ----
       at a different location.  If you must try the net, use newsgroup
!      soc.net-people *NOT* misc.misc or misc.wanted.

!  9.  sci.math: Proofs that 1=0.

***************
*** 128,130 ****

! 13.  net.women: What do you think about abortion?

--- 128,130 ----

! 13.  soc.women: What do you think about abortion?

***************
*** 131,134 ****
       Although abortion might appear to be an appropriate topic for
!      net.women, more heat than light is generated when it is brought
!      up.  Since the newsgroup net.abortion has been created, all
       abortion-related discussion should take place there.
--- 131,134 ----
       Although abortion might appear to be an appropriate topic for
!      soc.women, more heat than light is generated when it is brought
!      up.  Since the newsgroup talk.abortion has been created, all
       abortion-related discussion should take place there.
***************
*** 135,137 ****

! 14.  net.singles: What do MOTOS, MOTSS, and MOTAS  stand for?

--- 135,137 ----

! 14.  soc.singles: What do MOTOS, MOTSS, and MOTAS  stand for?

***************
*** 138,152 ****
       Member of the opposite sex, member of the same sex, and member of
!      the appropriate sex, respectively.
!      SO stands for "significant other".

! 15.  net.columbia: Shouldn't this name be changed?

!      The name was devised to honor the first space shuttle.  It was
!      realized at the time the group began that the name would quickly
!      become out of date.  The intent was to create a bit of instant
!      nostalgia.
!
! 16.  net.columbia: Shouldn't this group be merged with net.space?
!
!      No.  Net.columbia is for timely news bulletins.  net.space is for
       discussions.
--- 138,144 ----
       Member of the opposite sex, member of the same sex, and member of
!      the appropriate sex, respectively.  SO stands for "significant other".

! 15.  sci.space.shuttle: Shouldn't this group be merged with sci.space?

!      No.  sci.space.shuttle is for timely news bulletins.  sci.space is for
       discussions.
***************
*** 153,155 ****

! 17.  How do I use the "Distribution" feature?

--- 145,147 ----

! 16.  How do I use the "Distribution" feature?

***************
*** 176,183 ****

!      The newsgroup "na.forsale" exists for postings of sale
!      announcements.  Its distribution is limited to North America;
!      posters should restrict this distribution even further, if
!      possible and appropriate.
!
! 18.  Why do some people put funny lines ("bug killers") at the beginning
       of their articles?
--- 168,170 ----

! 17.  Why do some people put funny lines ("bug killers") at the beginning
       of their articles?
***************
*** 203,205 ****

! 19.  What is the address or phone number of the "foo" company?

--- 190,192 ----

! 18.  What is the address or phone number of the "foo" company?

***************
*** 220,222 ****

! 20.  What is the origin of the name "grep"?

--- 207,209 ----

! 19.  What is the origin of the name "grep"?

***************
*** 229 ****
--- 216,238 ----
       stands for "Globally look for Regular Expressions and Print."
+
+ 20.  How do I get from BITNET to UUCP, ARPA to BITNET, JANET etc etc.?
+
+      See the article "Notable Computer Networks" in Volume 29, #10
+      (October 1986) of the "Communications of the ACM" (CACM).  The
+      table on page 940 should provide the syntax needed.  The
+      appropriate gateways should be derivable from the postings in
+      mod.map.
+
+ 21.  Didn't Indiana once pass a law saying pi == 3 ?
+
+      Indiana House Bill #246 was introduced on 18 January 1897,
+      referred to the Committee on Canals 'midst general cheerfulness'.
+      It is so mathematically incomprehensible that no single value of
+      pi is determinable from its text.  It was passed by the state
+      House on 5 February, but indefinitely tabled by the state Senate,
+      thanks to the fortuitious presense of a Purdue professor of
+      mathematics who was there on other business.
+
+      For details, including an annotated text of the bill, read the
+      article by D. Singmaster in "The Mathematical Intelligencer" v7
+      #2, pp 69-72.

usenet@gatech.EDU (12/01/86)

*** old/questions.n	Sat Nov  1 16:43:24 1986
--- src/questions.n	Sat Nov 29 18:36:28 1986
***************
*** 2,4 ****
  Expires: 40days

--- 2,4 ----
  Expires: 40days

***************
*** 5,7 ****
! [Most recent change: 31 October 1986 by weemba@brahms.berkeley.edu]

--- 5,7 ----
! [Most recent change: 29 November 1986 by weemba@brahms.berkeley.edu]

***************
*** 14,17 ****
  and warning about the inevitable consequence of asking others.  If you
! don't like my answers let me know and I may include revisions in future
! versions of this note.

--- 14,16 ----
  and warning about the inevitable consequence of asking others.  If you
! don't like these answers let spaf@gatech.edu know.

***************
*** 33,35 ****

!      These questions belong in net.news.config if anywhere, but in fact
       your best bet is usually to phone somebody at "foo" to find out.
--- 32,34 ----

!      These questions belong in news.config if anywhere, but in fact
       your best bet is usually to phone somebody at "foo" to find out.
***************
*** 73,75 ****

!  7.  How do I decrypt jokes in net.jokes?

--- 72,74 ----

!  7.  How do I decrypt jokes in rec.humor?

***************
*** 77,79 ****
       letter is replaced by the letter 13 farther along in the alphabet
!      (cycling around at the end).  Most systems have a built in command
       to decrypt such articles; readnews has the "D" command, rn has the
--- 76,78 ----
       letter is replaced by the letter 13 farther along in the alphabet
!      (cycling around at the end).  Most systems have a built-in command
       to decrypt such articles; readnews has the "D" command, rn has the
***************
*** 108,110 ****

! 11.  net.unix-wizards: How do I remove files with non-ascii
       characters in their names?
--- 107,109 ----

! 11.  comp.unix.wizards: How do I remove files with non-ascii
       characters in their names?
***************
*** 117,119 ****

! 12.  net.unix-wizards: There is a bug in the way UNIX handles
       protection for programs that run suid.
--- 116,118 ----

! 12.  comp.unix.wizards: There is a bug in the way UNIX handles
*** 132,135 ****
       soc.women, more heat than light is generated when it is brought
!      up.  Since the newsgroup talk.abortion has been created, all
!      abortion-related discussion should take place there.

--- 131,136 ----
       soc.women, more heat than light is generated when it is brought
!      up.  All abortion-related discussion should take place in the
!      newsgroup talk.abortion.  If your site administrators have chosen
!      not to receive this group, you should respect this and not post
!      articles about abortion at all.

***************
*** 140,143 ****

! 15.  sci.space.shuttle: Shouldn't this group be merged with sci.space?

       No.  sci.space.shuttle is for timely news bulletins.  sci.space is for
--- 141,152 ----

! 15.  soc.singles and elsewhere:  What does HASA stand for?

+      Nobody knows.  HASA apparently stands for Hedonistic Asti-Spumante
+      Alliance.  There are renegades, not to be believed under any
+      circumstances, who claim it actually stands for the Heathen and
+      Atheistic SCUM Alliance.  It can also mean a few other fanciful and
+      amusing things, any of which should be judged in context.
+
+ 16.  sci.space.shuttle: Shouldn't this group be merged with sci.space?
+

--- 154,156 ----

! 17.  How do I use the "Distribution" feature?

***************
*** 150,153 ****
       replies is different, depending on where you are, but at Bell Labs
!      in Murray Hill, New Jersey, possibilities include:
! 	mh3bc1	local to this machine
  	mh	Bell Labs, Murray Hill Branch
--- 159,162 ----
       replies is different, depending on where you are, but at Bell Labs
!      in Murray Hill, New Jersey, possibilities include (for example):
! 	local	local to this machine
  	mh	Bell Labs, Murray Hill Branch
***************
*** 158,160 ****
  	na	Everywhere in North America
! 	net	Everywhere on Usenet in the world (same as "world")

--- 167,169 ----
  	na	Everywhere in North America
! 	world	Everywhere on Usenet in the world

***************

--- 177,179 ----

--- 199,201 ----

--- 216,218 ----

! 20.  What is the origin of the name "grep"?

***************
*** 217,219 ****

! 20.  How do I get from BITNET to UUCP, ARPA to BITNET, JANET etc etc.?

--- 226,228 ----

! 21.  How do I get from BITNET to UUCP, ARPA to BITNET, JANET etc etc.?

***************
*** 225,235 ****

! 21.  Didn't Indiana once pass a law saying pi == 3 ?

!      Indiana House Bill #246 was introduced on 18 January 1897,
!      referred to the Committee on Canals 'midst general cheerfulness'.
!      It is so mathematically incomprehensible that no single value of
!      pi is determinable from its text.  It was passed by the state
!      House on 5 February, but indefinitely tabled by the state Senate,
!      thanks to the fortuitious presense of a Purdue professor of
!      mathematics who was there on other business.

--- 234,246 ----

! 22.  Didn't some state once pass a law setting pi equal to 3 ?

!      Indiana House Bill #246 was introduced on 18 January 1897, and
!      referred to the Committee on Canals "midst general cheerfulness."
!      The text states, "the ratio of the diameter and circumference is
!      as five-fourths to four", which makes pi 3.2 (not 3), but there
!      are internal contradictions in the bill as well as contradictions
!      with reality.  The author was a mathematical crank.  The bill was
!      passed by the state House on 5 February, but indefinitely tabled
!      by the state Senate, in part thanks to the fortuitious presence
!      on other business of a Purdue professor of mathematics.

usenet@gatech.UUCP (01/01/87)

*** old/questions.n	Mon Dec  1 00:18:20 1986
--- src/questions.n	Fri Dec 12 19:57:26 1986
***************

! [Most recent change: 9 December 1986 by rs@mirror.tmc.com]

***************
*** 105,108 ****
       their right, have chosen not to make the sources available.
-      The source to empire is not currently available, either.

  11.  comp.unix.wizards: How do I remove files with non-ascii
--- 105,112 ----
       their right, have chosen not to make the sources available.

+      You can obtain the source to a version of empire if you provide
+      a tape and SASE *plus* a photocopy of your Unix source license.
+      To obtain further info, contact mcnc!rti-sel!polyof!john.
+      You can also call John at +1 516 454-5191 (9am-9pm EST only).
+
*** 249 ****
--- 253,267 ----
       #2, pp 69-72.
+
+ 23.  Where can I get the necessary software to get a "smart"
+      mail system running on my machine that will take advantage
+      of the postings in mod.map?  (E.g., pathalias, smail, etc.)
+
+      There are a couple of packages available through the supporters of
+      the mod.sources archives.  If sites next to you don't have what
+      you want, contact your nearest mod.sources archive, or the
+      moderator.  Information on archive sites, and indices of
+      mod.sources back issues are posted regularly in mod.sources and
+      comp.sources.d.
+
+
+

usenet@gatech.UUCP (02/01/87)

*** old/questions.n	Thu Jan  1 00:17:54 1987
--- src/questions.n	Sat Jan 31 21:51:25 1987
***************

! [Most recent change: 31 January 1987 by spaf@gatech.edu]

***************
*** 147,153 ****

!      Nobody knows.  HASA apparently stands for Hedonistic Asti-Spumante
!      Alliance.  There are renegades, not to be believed under any
!      circumstances, who claim it actually stands for the Heathen and
!      Atheistic SCUM Alliance.  It can also mean a few other fanciful and
!      amusing things, any of which should be judged in context.

--- 147,154 ----

!      The acronym HASA originated with the Heathen and Atheistic SCUM
!      Alliance; the Hedonistic Asti-Spumante Alliance, Heroes Against
!      Spaghetti Altering, the Society for Creative Atheism (SCATHE),
!      SASA, SALSA, PASTA, and many others too numerous to mention all
!      followed.  HASA started in talk.religion.misc and also turns up in
!      soc.singles, talk.bizarre, et al. because members post there too.

usenet@gatech.UUCP (03/01/87)

*** old/questions.n	Sun Feb  1 00:18:19 1987
--- src/questions.n	Sun Feb  8 18:15:46 1987
***************
*** 5,7 ****
! [Most recent change: 31 January 1987 by spaf@gatech.edu]

--- 5,7 ----
! [Most recent change: 11 February 1987 by spaf@gatech.edu]

*** 174,177 ****

!      If you hit return, you'll get the default, which is the first part
!      of the newsgroup name.  This default is often not appropriate --
       PLEASE take a moment to think about how far away people are likely
--- 174,177 ----

!      If you hit return, you'll get the default, which is usually
!      "world.".  This default is often not appropriate --
       PLEASE take a moment to think about how far away people are likely