[mod.comp-soc] Computers and Society Digest, #26

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (06/27/86)

-- Dave]

Date: 5:26 am  Jun  6, 1986
From: scott@islenet.UUCP (Scott Allen at Islenet Inc,  Honolulu)
Subject: Johns Hopkins President on Computers and the University

[taken from group net.cse]

In the January-March issue of the Johns Hopkins APL Technical Digest (page
108) the president of Johns Hopkins University writes of the "Post-Gutenberg
University".

He predicts the future university will be linked to its students by the
computer and the computer network. The "new clientele" will be older, more
experienced, and more highly educated. In keeping with the point emphasized by
Dr. Penzias of Bell Labs, networking makes distance and physical location
of the student essentially immaterial. Indeed, the language of instruction may
become immaterial, with instantaneous computer translation of human languages.

Computers will also change the content of teaching, replacing wrote memory
with skills in use of the facilities of the computer to store and retrieve
data, and in problem solving.

Demographics dictate that the new clientele will be part-time, and the
essential problem for the university is therefore not to seek ways to support
full-time students, but to seek better ways to support the part-time student
and to deliver the new knowledge which he requires.

Time frame: ten to twenty years will transform education to the new format. It
is interesting to contemplate the possibilities this new format creates for a
formerly isolated university in an island state.
--
Scott Allen             {ihnp4|dual|vortex}!islenet!scott
Honolulu, Hawaii	808-941-8500 808-947-3657 808-946-1919

------------------------------

Date: 9:20 pm  Jun  6, 1986
From: mills@DCN6.ARPA
Subject: Here's clocking at you

[from the newsgroup mod.protocols]

Folks,

I know this must be Summer because our radio clocks are drowning in ionspheric
ooze, which sloshes deeper as the days grow long. Yesterday our WWVB clock on
popular fuzzball timeteller DCN1.ARPA picked up a hot bit which added 256 days
to the day of year and turned its timecode-conversion routine into a hash
function. The resulting random bits presented to timecallers broke a bunch of
code scattered all over the Internet, or at least that's what I concluded once
the phones stopped ringing.

When I manually disabled the broken clock, our clever backup algorithm, put in
last year at this time when the ions grew dim, promptly chose the WWV clock on
DCN6.ARPA. But that was bust too, so the algorithm chose as the next backup
the GOES clock on FORD1.ARPA and finally got it right. It turns out this
sequence of events is not uncommon at this time of year; however, before you
pull your clock plugs, be advised there are two more backups, the WWVB clock
on UMD1.ARPA and the WWV clock on GW.UMICH.EDU. I guess you could say we have
a magnificent, redundant algorithm which reliably delivers the wrong time.

This latest problem should not recur, since I sloshed ample bugspray on the
conversion routine to nip blatant timecode lies, but little lies (like the
wrong year) are known from experience to be just as bad. Therefore, I sieze
the opportunity first to apologize for all those broken message timestamps,
file dates and accounting programs that bogged yesterday and then to appeal
for more players of the Network Time Protocol (RFC-958) game, which may be the
best polygraph.

Dave
-------
# End of text from mod.protocols. on hplabsc.UUCP

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Jun 86 09:36:02 EDT
From: Stephen Perelgut <perelgut%uturing.toronto.edu@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: mail.computers&society

   Hi,  I am new to mail-lists so I'll need a little guidance.  I
am very interested in the information society that I see forming
around us.  I suppose the most obvious reasons to me are the simple
facts of information vs. possessions.  If I give you a fact, we both
have that fact which is not diminished by its sharing.  The only
thing diminished is its potential value as a rare commodity.  The
description of this mailing list looks like it will provide me with
a forum for refining this viewpoint.

		Stephen Perelgut

-----------------------------------

To have your thoughts included in this digest, or to join the mailing
list, please send electronic mail to Dave Taylor at any of the following
addresses:

   comp-soc@HPLABS.{CSNET,ARPA   -- or -- 	..hplabs!comp-soc

This digest is published approximately bi-monthly and does not necessarily
express the views of HP nor anyone else other than the individual authors
of the messages.

***********************************
End of Computers and Society Digest
***********************************

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (07/01/86)

--------
[this is the last of the "Digest" format postings for this group.  From
 this point on the postings will be individual articles and will refer
 to previous postings accordingly.  Thanks for bearing with me as I
 dump all the old issues of C&S Digest on the net!    -- Dave Taylor]
--------

                    Computers and Society Digest, Number 26

                            Tuesday, June 17th 1986

Today's Topics:

             Johns Hopkins President on Computers and the University
                             Here's clocking at you
                             mail.computers&society

[*** SPECIAL WARNING TO ALL READERS:  We now have a newsgroup!!  This will
     be the last issue mailed to the entire list.  If I don't hear from
     you, you'll be REMOVED from the list and I'll assume you can read
     the group ("mod.comp-soc").  Please let me know.

							-- Dave]