[mod.comp-soc] Computer detracting from effective communication?

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (Dave Taylor) (07/01/86)

--------
This article is from utzoo!henry
 and was received on Fri Jun 27 18:28:37 1986
--------

Bruce Sesnovich writes, in part:

> Before word processors and electronic mail existed, important letters or
> documents were usually handwritten and hand-corrected, often in several
> drafts, before being typed and mailed.  The typing of the letter represented
> a finalizing and codifying process which encouraged well thought-out
> communication. Care needed to be taken, since a single error could
> necessitate re-typing the entire letter or document.

This sort of thing has been an active topic of discussion recently among
professional writers.  The argument has validity.  There is another side to
it, however:  quite often, when documents were prepared by the traditional
means, the author refrained from fixing minor problems or making modest
improvements precisely *because* there was too much overhead.  More often
than not, the alternative to error-free typing was not re-typing, but
living with the inevitable mistakes.  The price of being a perfectionist
was very high in pre-computer days, and many were unwilling to pay it.
Sometimes the high cost of a new version encouraged well thought-out
communication; more often it encouraged tolerance of poorly thought-out
communication, because doing better was too expensive.

(Enraged king holding a piece of paper:  "Torture the author of this
memo until he explains what it means!")

The argument is almost precisely analogous to that of the advocates of
batch operation over time-sharing:  "time-sharing encourages sloppiness,
because it makes life too easy".  In fact, time-sharing, like word processing,
is neutral:  it facilitates *either* sloppy work *or* good work.  Instant
turnaround encourages sloppy workers to just bash away until they get it
more-or-less right, but it also encourages careful workers not to settle
for second best.

Most professional writers who have switched to word-processing technology
feel that it has *improved* the net quality of their writing, by reducing
the practical problems of revision and improvement.  Note that these are
people who make their living selling documents, and hence have strong
incentives to produce professional-quality output.

Far too many fingers are being pointed at the machinery used to do the
work, and far too few at the users of the machinery.  Considering the rate
of functional near-illiteracy among high-school graduates (not to mention
corporate management!), is it really surprising that poorly-done documents
abound?

				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

P.S. There is another aspect that just occurred to me.  If phone calls cost
$100 each, clearly there would be great incentive to plan them well.  But
many people would stop using telephones entirely, even in emergencies.
Easing communication encourages people to communicate.  Both the increased
volume and the inexperience of novice communicators cause problems, and new
ways of dealing with the problems may be needed.  Overall, though, the
change may be a good thing.

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (07/03/86)

This article is from ihnp4!whuts!6243tes (Terry Sterkel)
 and was received on Thu Jul  3 08:22:34 1986

Henry Spencer writes in part:

> Bruce Sesnovich writes, in part:
>
> > Before word processors and electronic mail existed, important letters or
> > documents were usually handwritten and hand-corrected, often in several
> > drafts, before being typed and mailed.  The typing of the letter represented
> > a finalizing and codifying process which encouraged well thought-out
> > communication. Care needed to be taken, since a single error could
> > necessitate re-typing the entire letter or document.
>
> Most professional writers who have switched to word-processing technology
> feel that it has *improved* the net quality of their writing, by reducing
> the practical problems of revision and improvement.

To quote an overworked phrase "The Medium is the MASSAGE" (mAssage not mEssage).

I firmly believe that most commentators who take the approach that "technology
is neutral, the problem is with lazy or incompetent people" miss the fact that
when you change the environment, however subtly, you change behavior and sub-
sequently results.  That is the message of the the (in-)famous Hawthorne
Experiments earlier this century.

I am embroiled in this discussion frequently over lunch by the resident
software group who feel that "pleasant but quaint" mechanisms as
specifications, test plans, structured development, dry runs, paper testing,
etc. are artifacts of a by-gone age.  They would rather get on the terminal
and hack, claiming higher productivity.  My personal perception over the
last 15 years is that the quality and timeliness of software has been dropping
especially since timesharing programmer's terminals became de rigueur.

To take another example, I am (perhaps over-) familiar with the past thirty
years of science fiction writers.  The new wave (last two to three years) is
remarkably void of spelling diction, and grammar errors compared to novels
of the fifties and sixties.  Unfortunately, the "clever turn of phrase" that
frequently was a technical violation of spelling, diction, or grammar are also
missing.  To pick on two examples, take Clarke and Anthony.  Compare Clarke
of the sixties (2001) and Clarke of the eighties (2010).  He proudly proclaims
his use of Wordstar (an early PC word processing software package) in the
second book.  I fell asleep reading 2010.  The clean, lean approach has been
bloated by mechanistic perfection allowed by word processing.  Piers Anthony
(yes, a pseudonym) always been a high-volume writer pumping out four to eight
serial novels a year.  His hallmark has been high entertainment (XANTH,
OX/ORN, ADEPT series) or stabs at philosophy (TAROT series).  Above all, he was
entertaining.  He spent four pages in an earlier book explaining his work area
consisting of a manual typewriter in an unheated stable.  In one of this
latest books, he proudly announces the purchase of word processing which he
used on that book.  The book reads as if it is a hacked together string of
episodes and puns (the series was noted for its puns).  It was merely
selections from earlier novels from the series, some puns, and little thought.

If you made it this far, you deserve a short wrap-up.

My message is that neither Clarke nor Anthony can be declared anything short of
masters of their trade.  If the introduction of word processing has changed
their efforts, what is happening to us journeymen, novices, and *grade school
children* who are having technology put on us.  To repeat "the medium is the
mAssage"

--
Terry Sterkel	AT&T Bell Labs,  ihnp4!whuts!6243tes

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (07/11/86)

This article is from utzoo!henry (Henry Spencer)
 and was received on Thu Jul 10 22:27:34 1986

> ...most commentators who take the approach that "technology is
> neutral, the problem is with lazy or incompetent people" miss the fact that
> when you change the environment, however subtly, you change behavior and sub-
> sequently results...

A change in technology certainly changes the results, often in subtle ways,
but that does *not* imply that it is to blame for poor quality.  This is
the classic "after this, therefore because of this" fallacy.

> I am embroiled in this discussion frequently over lunch by the resident
> software group who feel that "pleasant but quaint" mechanisms as
> specifications, test plans, structured development, dry runs, paper testing,
> etc. are artifacts of a by-gone age...

These are probably the same people who would patch the binary rather than
recompile in the old days.  At least they (probably) don't do that any more.
To repeat the point:  technology is *neutral*.  People who will take the
easy-but-sloppy way out will do so regardless of technology; only the
details change.  When you are remembering the Good Old Days, remember that
there was no shortage of Bad Old Days.

> ... My personal perception over the last 15
> years is that the quality and timeliness of software has been dropping
> especially since timesharing programmer's terminals became de rigueur.

Are you sure you aren't confusing a greater volume of software, with a
greater spread of quality and timeliness, with an overall decline?  Look
at the good stuff too, not just the bad stuff that catches your eye.

> ... To pick on two examples, take Clarke and Anthony.  Compare Clarke
> of the sixties (2001) and Clarke of the eighties (2010).  He proudly
> proclaims his use of Wordstar ... in the second book.  I fell asleep
> reading 2010.

Asking an author not to change in 20 years, especially when he wasn't
exactly young 20 years ago, is asking a bit much.  Heinlein's work
deteriorated badly long before he started using word processing.  And
some of us don't agree that 2010 was bad, by the way.

> ...  Piers Anthony
> ... always been a high-volume writer pumping out four to eight
> serial novels a year.  His hallmark has been high entertainment...
>  or stabs at philosophy ... Above all, he was entertaining.
> ... he proudly announces the purchase of word processing which he
> used on [a new] book.  The book reads as if it is a hacked together string
> of episodes and puns (the series was noted for its puns)...

If you're speaking of the Xanth books, the degeneration in them started
long before Anthony computerized.  This too is a well-known syndrome:
"once you've saved the world, what do you do for an encore?".  Being a
high-volume writer for many years is not an easy thing to do; are you
sure the word processor is really to blame?

> ... neither Clarke nor Anthony can be declared anything short of
> masters of their trade.  If the introduction of word processing has changed
> their efforts, what is happening to us journeymen, novices, and *grade
> school children* who are having technology put on us...

You have not established that it is, in fact, the introduction of word
processing which has changed their efforts.  One could just as easily claim
that the introduction of word processing helped offset the inevitable
dropoff in quality due to age in one case and sheer fatigue in the other.

Tell me, Terry, have you run into *any* outstanding fiction of late?
Surely there has been something you've really liked.  And the odds are
pretty good that it was done on a computer.

				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology