[net.sf-lovers] The Tales of the Five

Fournier.pasa@Xerox.ARPA (05/23/85)

From: A. Marina Fournier <fournier.pasa@Xerox.ARPA>

Roy,

	I don't wish to be unkind, but yes, you have been asleep. THE DOOR INTO
FIRE was first published by Dell in l979.  Those of us who bought it
then waited 5 years to read the sequel.  Meanwhile, Dell discontinued
its sf line (Spider Robinson's ANTINOMY (not antimony, trust me) was at
the same time in print AND discontinued), and Diane, as rumour had it,
got about half-way through writing the sequel when she dropped out of
the circle of writers, and started hanging out with cartoonists, and
began doing that instead... Her fans were in a bind:  no sequel, no way
for new folk to be told how to buy the book (it was briefly in print in
Britain, and its cover was just as bad as Dell's cover for DIF).

	Since then, Diane has made up for lost time (once she finished, she had
to find a publisher), with two Star Trek novels ("Fun to write, but my
editor says I can't write them anymore, because the other projects need
work"--at WorldCon), a children's book called SO YOU WANT TO BE A WIZARD
(Atheneum Pr.), with at least two sequels to that forthcoming, and
assorted short stories, one in the DIF/DIS/Tales of the Five universe,
and one in the Thieves' World universe, and perhaps some others I've
missed.

	Actually, the August referred to was LAST August: it's available now
from Bluejay, otherwise I wouldn't have a copy of it.  DON'T NOT READ
THE OVERTURE-- I was halfway through it, in a friend's copy, when I
decided I had to get my own.

	I really suffered while waiting for her to get her stuff together and
write again--I like her sense of humor, and the Tales of the Five
universe is one I'd like to visit--us techno-pagans have real problems
when we're away from the gods of Print and Film. However, the gods of
poetry, Earth, night sky, and dance call us, too.  Reading her books
(but not just hers) give me the same sort of high I get after the Star
Wars, Fred & Ginger, and Gene Kelly films.

	LOCUS magazine should be available through any sf-specialty bookstore
in your area, or some of the better newsstands.  It's a monthly, and it
enables you to keep up with publishing news and bios of the authors
whose works you read.  It should keep you from "falling asleep" again.

				Sweet dreams,
					A. Marina Fournier
					<Fournier.pasa@Xerox>

Hearn: What are you doing up there?
Herewiss and Freelorn: (read DIF for the answer).

kalash@ucbcad.UUCP (Joe Kalash) (05/25/85)

> work"--at WorldCon), a children's book called SO YOU WANT TO BE A WIZARD
> (Atheneum Pr.), with at least two sequels to that forthcoming,

Minor quibble, "So You Want to Be A Wizard" was published by Delacorte Press,
not Atheneum (Delacorte is owned and operated by Doubleday). Also,
the sequel is already out, it is called "Deep Wizardry", by the same
publisher (and is pretty good, if you like children's books).

			Joe Kalash
			kalash@berkeley
			ucbvax!kalash