[mod.comp-soc] Calculators and Understanding

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (06/28/86)

ties on understanding the problem
at hand.   In the vernacular above, this is a good thing.

[An interesting point...it seems we need to really define what 'knowledge'
 is.  A similar problem exists in the AI community - what exactly IS
 intelligence?  Does the Turing test still exist as the bottom line??  If
 not, what IS the criterion for intelligence?  -- Dave]

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (07/01/86)

--------
This article is from ihnp4!rayssd!gmp (Gregory M. Paris)
 and was received on Mon Jun 23 05:31:07 1986
--------

Discourages understanding?  How does memorizing the multiplication tables
from 1 to 13 encourage understanding of multiplication?  How does doing
endless addition of 4 digit numbers encourage understanding of addition?
These are things that children are forced to do in elementary school, and
I contend that these things are counter to understanding.  I fail to see
how adding tedium to a child's education, or to any task in general, can
aid understanding.  This is seems even more apparent when dealing with
complex engineering or scientific matters, where complex mathematical
tasks are carried out by computers, leaving humans to do the interpretation
and understanding of the results.  Computers and calculators have *freed*
people to concentrate their mental abilities on understanding the problem
at hand.   In the vernacular above, this is a good thing.

[An interesting point...it seems we need to really define what 'knowledge'
 is.  A similar problem exists in the AI community - what exactly IS
 intelligence?  Does the Turing test still exist as the bottom line??  If
 not, what IS the criterion for intelligence?  -- Dave]

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (07/02/86)

--------
This article is from weemba@brahms.berkeley.edu (Matthew P. Wiener)
 and was received on Tue Jul  1 12:58:41 1986
--------

Seems we just had this debate concerning word processing!

In article <383@hplabsc.UUCP> gmp@rayssd (Gregory M. Paris) writes:

>Discourages understanding?  How does memorizing the multiplication tables
>from 1 to 13 encourage understanding of multiplication?  How does doing
>endless addition of 4 digit numbers encourage understanding of addition?
>These are things that children are forced to do in elementary school, and
>I contend that these things are counter to understanding.  I fail to see
>how adding tedium to a child's education, or to any task in general, can
>aid understanding.  This is seems even more apparent when dealing with
>complex engineering or scientific matters, where complex mathematical
>tasks are carried out by computers, leaving humans to do the interpretation
>and understanding of the results.  Computers and calculators have *freed*
>people to concentrate their mental abilities on understanding the problem
>at hand.   In the vernacular above, this is a good thing.

You've touched a nerve here.

First off, there's a lot of bad teaching out there, and you are kidding
yourself if you are blaming it on the material.  Using calculators does
not change this.  Indeed, I believe they encourage bad teachers to do
worse.

I do not believe understanding of anything difficult can come cheap and
easy.  I do not believe that having a computer changes that.  I believe
having a computer allows for greater realism in designing curricula.
And nothing more.

I am not happy with the standard curricula, by the way.  But that has
nothing to do with my beliefs concerning calculators and computers in
the classroom.

These machines come with an aura of perfection.  Why?  I have no idea.
But this aura is very damaging to students.  Most of them have no sense
of magnitude anymore.  They assume they entered the data in perfectly.
They can't do back-of-the-envelope calculations.  They are unable to
estimate.  They turn in pages of output called results. They give ans-
wers with meaningless precision.  (Even the ones who know better will
reflexively quote their digital watches if asked for the time.  Aargh!)

[Jon Bentley (`Programming Pearls') has an amusing anecdote about the
 precision of answers - he asked a student once how long a program took
 to run.  The student answered "about 150" "150 what?" "Umm..either micro-
 seconds or milliseconds, I'm not sure".   Needless to say, there is a BIG
 difference between the two!    -- Dave]

Do the students learn to think now that the computer has "freed" them?
No.  They learn how to run someone else's program.  They learn how to
specify options on a command line.

Do they learn how to understand what they are doing?  No.  They become
industrial strength bean counters.

When the task gets complicated, do they first approach the easy cases?
No.  They have learned to jump right into the hardest messes, because
of the unlimited power the computer gives them.

They will go for the three hundred parameter model when a mere five will
do, enamored of their numeric power, hypnotized by the formal simplicity,
and blissfully unaware of the ludicrousness of their enterprise.

They have no failsafe instincts.

They have no way of checking anything.

They are the vanguard of the new innumeracy.

They will wander in foggy Numberland forever if permitted.
The above article refers to students, and is based on what I've seen far
too often, even among "A" students.  Who "they" are is not really spelled
out, of course.  And once "they" get out into the real world, some common
sense returns.  But a lot of damage is done first, and I believe the way
computers are used is a major contributor to this process.
I'd like to quote Forman S Acton _Numerical Methods that Work_, pp245-6,
with a parallel attitude to a slightly different concern:

	Although we have no desire to blunt the enthusiam of the
	neophyte computor, many of whose excesses must be charged
	to the educational process, we would be remiss if we did
	not raise the spectre of uncritical wastage of computa-
	tional resourses by persons who are old enough to know
	better.  We grudgingly concede that there are times when
	it is better to use the computer inefficiently than to
	saddle a professor with a laborious search for a better
	algorithm; nevertheless enough identifiable nonsense goes
	on in th computer room to justify a brief but hopefully
	cautionary exhibit.  We begin with a personal experience.

	[1949 2 day inversion of a 16x16 matrix of 10-digit num-
	bers.  Turned out the matrix was orthogonal, which could
	have been verified in 10 minutes from the original formu-
	lae for the matrix entries.]  We were less than overjoyed,
	although--philosophically speaking--it was a good test of
	our inversion routine.

	In this day of electronic computation one might argue for
	the uncritical inversion of such a matrix on the grounds
	that it only takes fractions of a second while the proof
	of orthogonality would require minutes and might not then
	succeed--indeed, the matrix might not even be orthogonal.
	Why not invert and be done with it?  But in 1949 we who
	had striven mightily for two days had no such perspec-
	tive.  We were angry and with reason.  Somebody had not
	done his proper homework and we had to suffer for it.
	Your author, in 1970, still opposes this kind of uncrit-
	ical, shoot-from-the-hip computation.  It is an outward
	and visible sign of an inward and intellectual deficiency.
	It epitomized the "Why think? Let the computer do it" re-
	action that, unchecked, quickly undermines any critical
	review of either the direction or the value of an inves-
	tigation.  The computer is a precision tool.  It should
	not be used as a bludgeon or a substitute for thought.

As the S Harris cartoon punchline goes (roughly): "Yu meen Iv bin using
a defektiv speling program?"

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (07/02/86)

--------
This article is from taylor@hplabs.HP.COM (Dave Taylor, the moderator)
--------

>Matthew Wiener comments on some of Gregorys' comments;

>First off, there's a lot of bad teaching out there, and you are kidding
>yourself if you are blaming it on the material.  Using calculators does
>not change this.  Indeed, I believe they encourage bad teachers to do
>worse.

I don't agree.  I think that the quality of teaching is completely
independent from the tools available to the teacher.  It's all too common
to hear teachers lament that they don't have good enough textbooks, or
fast enough computers or whatever and so their teaching suffers.  Well,
from my experience as both a student and a teacher, the materials are
a MEANS to the END, NOT the END.  That is, if a person is a good teacher,
they can be given a nail and a slab of clay and can teach their students
MORE than the person next to them with their high-powered computing
environment.

Some of the best teachers I've ever had were forced to pay for Xeroxes
for the class out of their own pockets, or requested that all the students
go and buy some (cheap) book for the class...

On the other hand, one of the worst teachers I've ever had, in College, had
at his disposal millions of dollars worth of computing equipment and assumed
that it could REPLACE his teaching.  Needless to say it didn't work real well.

Calculators are the same way ...

>I do not believe understanding of anything difficult can come cheap and
>easy.  I do not believe that having a computer changes that.

I disagree again.  I think that a teacher who is really excellent can
introduce extremely complex subjects in such a way that the students
intuitively grasp the basic fundamental concepts involved and then build
up from there.

Again, from my experiences, the way I help people learn Pascal is to
turn away from the computer and talk to them until THEY understand the
problem, THEN they can figure out the program.  Again, it's a question of
HOW you teach.

>These machines come with an aura of perfection.  Why?  I have no idea.

Because that's how teachers, and by inference, society, views them.  If
a teacher turned around to their students and said "here's a typical dumb
machine - let's figure out how to force it to do what we want" then it'd
be totally different to the current "here's the *hushed voice* computer
we'll be using this quarter..."

>Do the students learn to think now that the computer has "freed" them?
>No.  They learn how to run someone else's program.  They learn how to
>specify options on a command line.

Again, it's a function of the teaching.  Just like any other subject.

Let's look at writing, for a second...

  Most English teachers are of the 'grammar and rules' school of writing, and
  when students turn in papers they are immediately downgraded for typos, or
  grammatically awkward phrases.  No heed is paid to the CONTENT, just the
  FORM.

   By comparison, teachers who concentrate on the CONTENT and assume that
  the FORM will improve by virtue of the student caring more about their
  work help students LOTS MORE.  Peter Elbow wrote a very interesting book
  on this sort of topic called `Writing Without Teachers'...

I think that we've hit a signficant juncture in this conversation, actually.
The form versus content debate seems to be just the right one for this entire
discussion - should we be concerned with students learning to 'depend' on
calculators for simple math, or should we be concerned with students being
able to solve more complex problems by virtue of being able to utilize a
calculator efficiently.

Like it or not, the days when we would spend years computing 'PI' to the
five-hundredth digit are long gone...

>When the task gets complicated, do they first approach the easy cases?
>No.  They have learned to jump right into the hardest messes, because
>of the unlimited power the computer gives them.

This is a function of the teaching style - having a more powerful problem
solver doesn't help anyone if they don't know how to approach solving
problems...I think that it wasn't as critical in the 'old days' since it
was so rare that people would try to solve substantial problems, of the
magnitude of, say, what NASA Ames does with their multiple Crays...

>They will wander in foggy Numberland forever if permitted.

Sounds like a mathematics graduate student to me!  *humour*

> It epitomized the "Why think? Let the computer do it" reaction that,
> unchecked, quickly undermines any critical review of either the direction
> or the value of an investigation.  The computer is a precision tool.
> It should not be used as a bludgeon or a substitute for thought.

Agreed.  But it's not reasonable to place the blame on the students with
the pejorative "they should know better".

As Bell Telephone system used to try to convince us;

		"The System IS the Solution"

							-- Dave

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (07/04/86)

This article is from Eugene Miya <ames!aurora!eugene>
 and was received on Wed Jul  2 18:52:16 1986

There is fuzzy, not well understood value in rote behavior (not that I
encourage full time rote behavior).  Before we throw the TIMES tables away,
we should discuss it a little bit.  It should be a bit more than past
discussions about the loss of tying shoelaces. (Did you follow any of that?)

People (humans) have an amazing capacity to infer information in many ways
based on past rote beahvior.  Much of it has to do with pattern recognition.
Feynman and other relate an interesting story that Bethe, he, and another a
third scientist simultaneously solved a problem: Bethe got the order of
magnitude and first digit, (I note a lot of interesting in Jon Bentley's
recent column on back of the envelope checking), the third scientist used
a slide rule getting three digits (not much slower), and the guy (I think
Feynman) used a calulator: more digits (needed), but slowest.

I don't think removing rote behavior would make us more creative, but I think
we should consider what we are trying to achieve in learning/teaching.  Give
them calculators, but only after they have a degree of understanding.

Another posting, worried about Big Brother monitoring the work place sounds
more like a problem with managers.  It sounds like management has become a
rote number calculation rather than a creative, human endeavor.  Too much
power to unthinking MBAs?  The problem lies with the people teaching managers
in this in appropriate way.

If giving people calcuators is going to result in the above, time to go into
hiding.....  Start "the revolution."

"The usual disclaimers."

from the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

--eugene miya 		NASA Ames Research Center 	eugene@ames-aurora.ARPA

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (07/08/86)

This article is from pyramid!utzoo!henry (Henry Spencer)
 and was received on Mon Jul  7 15:12:29 1986

> [...assorted comments about how calculators are ruining education...]

I'm told that a couple of centuries ago, it was a mark of an educated
man that he could tell time without mechanical assistance.  Nowadays,
most everybody relies on mechanical aids, i.e. wristwatches.  Nobody
complains about this degeneration of essential skills.

In a similar vein, somebody once asked Grace Hopper about the purported
"dehumanizing" aspects of computer-mediated communications.  Her reply
was "I remember when they said that about telephones".

				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (07/13/86)

This article is from pyramid!prls!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka
 and was received on Sat Jul 12 22:53:56 1986

>> [...assorted comments about how calculators are ruining education...]
>
>In a similar vein, somebody once asked Grace Hopper about the purported
>"dehumanizing" aspects of computer-mediated communications.  Her reply
>was "I remember when they said that about telephones".

Of course, they may have been right.

I'm at least half-serious here.  Any intermediary in communication reduces
the quality of the communication.  This includes computers, telephones, the
written word, the neighborhood gossip, and what have you.

The flip side, of course, is to ask what communication would have occurred
without the technology.  Very often, the answer in each of these cases is
"none" -- in which case the technology is a clear win; or some other
intermediary is used -- in which case it often is.  But there are cases
where the technology is harmful, not beneficial; and one cannot a priori
rule out the possibility that such harm outweighs the benefits.

That said, it seems clear to me that in general, the benefits of new
communications technology *does* outweigh the disadvantages.