[mod.comp-soc] Children & computers mod.comp-soc

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (Dave Taylor) (11/15/86)

This article is from hplabs!hpda!decot (Dave Decot)
 and was received on  Thu Nov 13 19:20:26 1986

> This is an article that I found.  Read it and weep.  Is this what our
> technology has come to?
>
>                             The Night of the Hackers

In using machines people are responsible for their actions, or in this case,
irresponsible.  To me, this story really has little to do with our technology.

It demonstrates the presence of the following irresponsibilities:

  * negligence by the children involved of ethics and manners,

  * negligence by parents of communicating the importance and purpose of
    ethics and manners to their children, and

  * negligence by system administrators of modern security issues.

That these parents have provided entertaining, powerful toys for their
children does not relieve them of their responsibilities to guide the
children in the civil use of those toys.

I believe the parents of these persons should be held financially responsible
for any and all losses or inconveniences suffered by the victims.

Dave Decot
hplabs!hpda!decot

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (Dave Taylor) (11/17/86)

This article is from conway<seismo!sjuvax.sju.edu!cc743805@hplabs.HP.COM>
 and was received on  Sun Nov 16 15:08:52 1986

Dave Decot writes:
>In using machines people are responsible for their actions, or in this case,
>irresponsible.  To me, this story really has little to do with our technology.
>
>It demonstrates the presence of the following irresponsibilities:
>
>  * negligence by the children involved of ethics and manners,
>  * negligence by parents of communicating the importance and purpose of
>    ethics and manners to their children, and
>  * negligence by system administrators of modern security issues.

Being a former "hacker", ( I was - no flames please, I never did any
damage to any computers/people/credit ratings :-)  ) I can attest to
the lack of ethics and morals among the hacker sub-culture.  Credit
card fraud is a good example of this lack of ethics.  Most kids parents
get them a Commodore 64 or something like that, then they get a modem,
then everything else is "free".  I personally know of people who have
thousands (if not tens of thousands) of dollars worth of electronics
equipment - all acquired through credit card fraud.  They do not think
they did anything wrong.  They justify it like this: "If [insert your
favorite credit card company here] doesn't have the security to stop
us, then there is nothing wrong with getting free stuff."

I don't have too much to say about parents, but usually once the
person is accepted into the realm of hacking, parents have little
to do with anything.  Most hackers totally ignore their parents.
If you get to the stage where you break into computers for fun/profit,
your morals have been shot down for a long time.  I really don't like
to generalize, because I am/was the exception to what I have just stated -
I have never crashed somebody else's computer, and have never participated
in credit card fraud.

On the subject of irresponsible SA's, system operators, etc:

    First:  Most of the systems that get hacked are openly asking for it.
            If you are an SA, and you don't know all about the system
            security features built into Unix, or you are not using
            all of the security features, you are asking for it.

If a hacker autodials through an exchange and picks up carriers, he
immediately runs through them and eliminates all the systems that
will not respond to the usual control codes/etc. Then goes through
the cut down list, and tries to log on to systems using standard
accounts and passwords.  I can't tell you how many times I have
waltzed right into HP3000's using the standard HP support accounts
and passwords.  If accounts have default passwords, CHANGE THEM!!
Letting a teenager into your system on a default account/password
that has priv's higher than the 'normal' user can spell death for
your system.  I know of several instances when hackers mistakenly
managed to trash HP's and VAXen.  Most of the hackers that I am
friends with are not of the malicious type.  Most just want to
have the opportunity to learn about as many different computers
as they can.  They also like the feeling of power they get when
they know they can shut down the system at a touch of the button.
They also like to be able to log off the SA remotely, and then
change his password, but they usually change it back before they
log off.

        Secondly:  If you are in charge of a computer with open
                   dialup phone lines, here are some suggestions:

    o  Do NOT identify your company name / computer type before
       a user logs in.  This may cause the hacker to look for
       an 'easier' system.

    o  If you computer's os broadcasts a 'standard' pre-login message,
       change it.  It will be harder for a hacker if all he sees is -

       "LOGIN:"  rather than  "Unix 4.2 BSD myvax (ttydX)"

       Another sneaky trick is to make your system look like another
       completely different system.  Very perplexing to the hacker.

    o  If a hacker gets in, and you discover him, do not immediately
       shut him out (unless he is vandalizing your system).  Send him
       e-mail, or better yet, get a real-time convo going with him if
       you can.  A lot of hackers like to chat/brag.  Be reeeeeaaaaalll
       friendly - eventually he'll give you some info as to who he is.
       Meanwhile, call AT&T/the police/etc, see if you can't nab him in
       the act.  If you decide to go this route, make sure you have a
       very recent backup - hackers are unpredictable.

Everything I say here was taken from experiences of the past 4+ years.
And no, I never talked to King Blotto, but I have associated with people
who regularly talk to Blotto.  Oh, and if you didn't know, there are
regular hack/phreak get-togethers in cities around the nation.  A lot of
people go there and stay there for free - airline tickets, motel rooms,
and rental cars are easy to get with somebody else's credit card numbers!

Chuck Conway