[mod.comp-soc] misunderstandings in email

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (03/01/87)

Gordon from Boston University writes:

> These children may not be on USENET, but they do have keyboards in front
> of them.  I was in high school when the first PC's were hitting the market,
> there are now fourth graders with access to Mac's...

But just as it was difficult to foresee schools equipped with Macs, it
is probably difficult to foresee what  the next generation  will have.
Is acquiring keyboard skills going to be all that  essential, if voice
input takes off? This leads me  on to the need  to distinguish between
the advantages of messaging (recipient  does not need  to be there, is
not  interrupted until wants  to receive etc)  and the  advantages  of
text.

Suppose USENET could  actually mail voice  or text with  diagrams, and
that all could choose which medium to use.  Leaving aside transmission
of  scripts, code etc,  which would you choose?   I suppose  it  would
depend on what you were sending. This present posting would proably be
better sent as voice, but I anticipate that there would be some things
for which written words (or diagrams) were the  preferred medium. What
would you need to send in text form?