[mod.comp-soc] Musings on Electronic Mail

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (02/26/87)

[this is something from a discussion on the well about the future of
 mail systems...various people were making comments about system A
 being better/worse than system B and so on, and I just had to jump in]

To me the most important feature of an electronic mail system, as with
any system on a computer, is that it allows me to do what *I* want and
manages to figure out and act based on that.

Let's restate this a different way:

  Any good system matches the expectations of the user, and not the
  other way around.

So this means that if people want to have an electronic mail system
that models the familiar U.S. Postal Service, then it should do the
whole job, with return-receipt-requested acknowledging that the remote
host got the message, with "registered personal mail" that sends a
message (that can be verified authentic) when the user actually
accepts (reads) the mail, and so on.  With a system like this, we can
have addresses like "username/local-address/city/state/country/unique-
identifier-for-faster-sorting".

If we want to exceed this system, we need to realize that it will not
necessarily be a 'best fit' or even particularly compatible...but I
think it is of vital importance for us to get beyond the parochial
postal deliver systems we have now (most of the postal service is based
on ideas from hundreds of years ago, stuff that was 'innovative' when
they were using Ponies to get mail across the US).

But let's look at the U.S. Postal Service as a model for a bit before
we dismiss it out of hand...

  In the past ten years, postal service has, for the most part, improved
quite a bit, but at quite a cost.  Postage has at least doubled in this
time and the complexity of sending mail has increased (e.g. nine-digit
zipcodes).  And yet, even with this increased performance, the actual
services offered by the postal system are relatively few.  Ten years ago
there wasn't "overnight express mail", but is that really such a big
step?  For that matter, we've had "registered mail" for a LONG time, but
it is still only used in special cases.

One interesting thing that the Postal System offers that there is no current
electronic analogy to is 'insured mail'.  This implies that the postal
service acknowledges that `not all mail is created equal'.  Yet the
mail systems available via computer assume that the message is of equal
importance and value (actually, there are some exceptions, but we'll get
to them later)...

The postal service has improved noticably due to the introduction of competition
to the previously monopolized mail delivery area, but even the competition
seems to acknowledge the lack of excitement and profit in the day-to-day
delivery of mail - they are almost exclusively in the 'overnight mail'
section of mail.

UPS, on the other hand, has become the major shipper of packages by
taking another 'uninteresting' area and wresting control away by offering
a service custom designed for the shipping of packages.  The U.S. Postal
Service still ships packages, and oftentimes for less, but it is a more
common perception nowadays that UPS is for packages and the U.S. Mail is
for letters and (!) bills.

There are a couple of other interesting phenomena that occur with U.S.
Mail that we should mention before moving into the "Electronic Age".
First off, junk mail is more than just an annoyance - it is a 'cultural
artifact' of our times.  It is a sign that our mail addresses are no longer
private property, but are yet another commodity to swap about (the Whole
Earth even sells their mailing list for quite a profit.  Indeed, there
are magazines that make money solely from selling their mailing list and
from advertising revenue - they don't even charge subscribers postage
cost).  This is really quite a significant change, I think.  In previous
years where you lived was very personal information, held quite closely,
and considered almost like the 'true name' of a witch or warlock.

This is quite a sociological change, one that would certainly have
disturbed George Orwell.  (and this change was the motivation behind
the introduction of 'post office boxes' for people who had home mail
addresses (used to be for people who DIDN'T have that...))

The second interesting phenomenon is the reputation that the U.S. Postal
service has garnered throughout the years.  There are very few people
who won't tell you a horror story or two about 'the mail system' (not to
mention the 'urban myth' of "it's in the mail...") and yet the system is
incredibly reliable, and rather amazingly fast overall.  So the question
arises as to WHY people perceive this apalling entity when we have such
a fine service... (note that I don't mean to imply that it is perfect!
Far from it!  But it is certainly an impressive system when you consider
the sheer volume of mail that flows through the system each day...)

I really don't know what has caused this reputation, but I'd suspect that
part of it is peoples' nature to be suspicious of large, monolothic
organizations, and the postal system certainly is that.  It is also one
of the few government operations that straddles the line between private
enterprise and public ownership, so that causes confusion and resentment
too.

With these thoughts in mind, let's finally turn to the area of Electronic
Mail, what we're trying to accomplish and what we expect from a system.

The first thing is for us to be able to build up over time personal
address books that we can zip through and get a full address by just
remembering the first letter of the last name of the person we want to
send to, if not even a more sophisticated system, where I could say
something like "send the following message to Joe in Berkeley" and
have it say "woah!  There are 6 people named Joe that live in Berkeley
and two in Oakland.  Which do you mean?".  We could then either 'play
20 questions' or simply browse the list of people it has picked out.

Now we hit our first interesting privacy question...I have a phone
book at home that contains the names, address and phone numbers of my
friends, business associates, and other people and places that I want
to be able to access easily.  At home it is implicitly private - you
would have to break in to my house and rummage about to find it.  On
a computer the concept of ownership is much more fuzzy, however, and
I don't particularly feel that I could have an `on-line' copy of my
addresses there.  Again, not something to solve, per se, just something
to consider.

Once the system has agreed with me that I am going to send mail to
someone that exists, it should then check that the address I have
is valid and current, and if it has changed, ideally, to tell me
what the new one is *and update itself*.  This is quite a step from
the Post Office sending back "Adressee unknown" mail.  At this point
it would be nice to have it able to tell me "Dave, are you aware that
Joe is on vacation in Hawaii for two more weeks?" before I compose
a message about a party the next night.

Privacy issue #2: while it is nice to be able to let people know that
you aren't able to answer your email at the point they send it, what
is really needed is a system that knows who all these people sending
mail are, and can send different messages (or none at all) to them
based on the relationship with you.  (e.g. if one of my best friends
drops me an email message it should say "I'm on vacation", but if I
get 'electronic junk mail' it shouldn't tell them ANYthing about me.
This is 100% analogous to the warnings in telephone answering machine
booklets about not saying "I'm not home" or "I'm on vacation").

To compose the message, I fully expect at *least* the same ability to
send stuff that I have with a regular mesage.  I have received (paper)
mail with cartoons, articles clipped out of magazines and newspapers,
photographs, and even (ahem) items of clothing.  While we can argue that
transmitting physical things via an electronic medium is ridiculous, I
think the concept of being able to trivially add doodles, attach pictures
and other text and so on are *vital* to the success of the medium.  This
also means that composing the message should be similarly trivial - it
certainly doesn't take much learning to write a letter, once you learn
how to use a pencil and how to form letters.  (In fact, you can send
meaningful mail even before you learn how to 'write', per se.  Anyone
who has received illustrations from a child knows that).

The key I'm trying to point out here is that we need to have a system
that allows us to *COMMUNICATE* (in glowing neon).  We 'send email' on
computers currently, bashing about the ASCII character-set to force us
to have the (vital) ability to send non-word information.  This has
been in printed language for thousands of years - just consider the
function of punctuation or the ubiquitious parenthetical comments
(like this).

To have computer systems become an effective medium for communications
(again, that word should be in flashing neon) we need the ability to
transmit far far more information than even the most sophisticated
multimedia systems allow.  Having NAPLPS graphics, for example, is
nice, but it does NOT allow the spontenaity of a doodle.

A side thought: graphology is something that most of us know enough about
to look at someones writing and say "they were tense" or "what a feminine
script".  That is because even at the level of the formation of individual
letters we are communicating - in this case emotions and personality
trends.  Yet more information that cannot be transmitted via computer.

How many people have a shoebox in their closet with old letters?  Or
a stack of love-letters wrapped in a bag to take out and read on a
rainy afternoon?  I do.  But I also have quite a large collection of
old electronic mail, and I only use that for reference purposes (as
in "umm...you said something about that a while back...let me go look").

I think the biggest thing we need to watch out for in this medium
(electronics) and with electronic mail specifically, is the loss of
the personal traits and the sheer ability to *communicate*.

I'll close this incredibly long posting with a suggestion that everyone
go browse the book "Zen and the Art of the Macintosh" and think about
why it is such an innovative book...

			-- Dave Taylor --

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (03/03/87)

(Note from the submitter: sorry - but this must be kept anonymous if posted
since I am involved with one of the unannounced products.  I don't think this
reveals anything, but I know that they are quite paranoid)

In your posting you say:

>To compose the message, I fully expect at *least* the same ability to
>send stuff that I have with a regular mesage.  I have received (paper)
>mail with cartoons, articles clipped out of magazines and newspapers,
>photographs, and even (ahem) items of clothing.  While we can argue that
>transmitting physical things via an electronic medium is ridiculous, I
>think the concept of being able to trivially add doodles, attach pictures
>and other text and so on are *vital* to the success of the medium.

There are a number of R&D efforts along these lines.  I recall one at
BBN which has been written up occasionally.  The R&D efforts involved
too much expensive equipment to be practical for anyone outside a few
very rich government agencies.  However, there are already postings in
the mac.binaries where the full repertoire of Mac graphics tools can be
sent electonically.  There are also products emerging that are specifically
aimed at various commercial markets to support the electronic shipping and
annotation of documents.  In fact, if you expand your definition of electronic
mail to include the new generation of facsimile equipment this capability is
already widespread.  All of these are low enough cost to be commercially
affordable.  Personal affordability should arrive within a decade.

The only real gap is in the user interface arena, where nothing is yet
available that can compete with the ease of use and expressive power
of pencil, pen, or crayon.  Here I don't even know of any close contenders.

[Note from the moderator: The system being discussed here is in fact the
 Diamond-II multimedia mail system from Bolt Beranek and Neuman (BBN), a
 part of the EXPRES project (a DoD funded project for the submission and
 tracking of documenents).  I think it would be very interesting to have
 someone from BBN reply to this comment about the expense of the Diamond
 system (a Sun 3/75 to start) and it would also be interested to have some
 people from the EXPRES project discuss it here...      --- Dave]