[net.sf-lovers] Katherine Kurtz

@RUTGERS.ARPA,@MIT-MC:LS.SRB@MIT-EECS (04/19/85)

From: "Stephen R. Balzac" <LS.SRB%MIT-EECS@MIT-MC.ARPA>

Supposedly there will be as many more Deryni stories as there are plot
lines to wrap up.

@RUTGERS.ARPA:sigel%umass-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa (04/21/85)

From: sigel%umass-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

> Does anyone know when "Bishop's Heir" will be coming out in a
> paperback edition?

I don't know the precise date, but since it came out in hardcover
last October, and Del Rey tends to release pbs 11-12 months after the
hardcover release, a pretty fair guess would be late August or
September of this year.

> Also - I was a little disappointed when the Camber triology ended on
> such an abrupt note.  It almost seemed as if the author suddenly
> decided that she had written enough and had better end things
> quickly.  Since I enjoyed the series so much ( and the subsequent
> Deryni series), I'm hoping that she will wrap up all of the loose
> ends.  Does anyone know if there are any more Deryni books in the
> works?

I can't agree that the Camber trilogy ended abruptly.  Practically
everyone had died, and the rest were going into hiding.  If anything,
I can't imagine the trilogy going on further than it did.  Bad enough
that the appendices had been showing that Evaine would die in the
year that the trilogy ended; actually reading her death would have
been too much.  The political loose ends would also take far too
many years (Gwynedd time) to wrap up neatly, and the book was
overlong as it was.

As for forthcoming books, Katherine has any number in the works; the
problem is that she is not a fast writer, and can think up books faster
than she can write them.

A collection of Deryni short stories will be released this summer.
Some of the stories will be reprinted from other sources -- for
example, "Swords Against the Marluk" from FLASHING SWORDS #4 and
"Bethane" from HECATE'S CAULDRON -- plus enough new stories to fill out
the collection page count.

As for other Deryni books planned:  THE KING'S JUSTICE (late this
year early next), and THE QUEST FOR SAINT CAMBER (in progress) will
finish out the current trilogy.  A trilogy set during the last years
of Donal's/first years of Brion's reign, focusing on Morgan and his
parents and relatives, legal and otherwise.  (The first book ends
with Morgan's birth; the third includes the events in "Swords Against
the Marluk", when Brion gains the Haldane birthright and slays the
Marluk.)  Another book (which may grow into more) has a working title
of THE YEAR OF KING JAVAN, which would set it 3-4 years after the
end of CAMBER THE HERETIC.  A possible novel would be set back in
Deryni pre-history with Orin, who wrote the Protocols of Orin that
were the basis of so much Deryni magic used in the Camber trilogy.

I gather that Katherine is also thinking of doing a sequel to her
WWII occult novel, LAMMAS NIGHT, set in the present day.  Whether
her writing picks up or slows down after her move to Ireland I can't
guess, nor how her recent marriage will affect matters.  In any case,
I'm looking forward to the collection and the second book in the
trilogy in the months ahead.

                                    Andrew Sigel

sigel%umass-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa (05/28/85)

From: Andrew <sigel%umass-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>

   About a month ago, I incorrectly stated that a collection of Deryni
short stories will be appearing this summer.  It would appear I was about
a year premature, as the mss. was very recently sent to Del Rey, and will
probably be published in about a year.

   As for the second novel in the new Kelson Trilogy, it should be out
this September (the first time two of her books have appeared less than a
year apart), and the third novel is in progress.