[mod.amiga] Common Lisp for Amiga? Slip?

Rminnich@udel.edu.UUCP (01/16/87)

Anybody know of a GOOD (e.g. NOT metacomco) Common Lisp
for the amiga? I would appreciate any first-hand experiences.
Should I even bother trying to run lisp when i only have
(realistically) 2 or so Mb?

I am going to be putting Karnes slip onto my amiga in the feb/march
time frame- unless someone else has done it first. Anybody know?
On a related note, is there anywhere on the net that i can ftp make
and sample tasking programs?

Thanks in advance,
   ron

miner@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu.UUCP (01/17/87)

In article <949@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu> Rminnich@UDEL.EDU (Ron Minnich) writes:
>Anybody know of a GOOD (e.g. NOT metacomco) Common Lisp
>for the amiga? I would appreciate any first-hand experiences.

While I was at the AAAI show in PA last Aug.  I talked with a M. Roy
Broughton  Vice Pres. of Marketing at Act Informatique.  They have a
product called Le_LISP that they where showing for the IBM-PC and MAC;
and apparently the Amiga.  Their very colorful brochure mentioned the
Amiga in a foot note but not in the main body.  It looked like a nice
product, was close to Common LISP compatable, and getting closer with
each new release.   Some features from the brochure:
* Large subset of Common LISP, Implemented on a virtual machine,
* Le_lisp on MAC is faster then Franz on a Vax/780 (that does not say much :-)
* 15,000 functionsl including, real numbers strings, vectors, macros...
* Environment includes - Full screen editor (emacs like), pretty printer,
  full debugger and trace.....
And much much more....

I tried to get in touch with the Company once through an answering machine
in CA but with no success.  I will give the information here, perhapse
if a few others inquire the  Company will look at the US-Amiga market in
a more agressive manner.

USA: Act Informatique c/o 3122 A ETON Avenue
     BERKELEY, CA 94705 - Tel: (415)654-3902
FRANCE: Act Informatique
	12, rue de la Montagne-Ste-Genevieve
         75005 Paris - Tel:(1)46.33.72.60
UK:	Logotron LTD - Dales Brewry, Gwydr St
	Cambridge CB1 2LJ - Tel:(223)323 656
--
Rich Miner   ...!wanginst!ulowell!miner
Ulowell, Center for Productivity Enhancement        (617) 452-5000 x2693

ee173way@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU.UUCP (01/27/87)

Metacomco Cambridge Lisp 68000 for the Amiga isn't all that bad-
if you know Lisp.  When I first purchased Lisp, I too thought it
was a piece of trash, but as I learned Lisp, the poor documentation,
nonexistant features, etc were less of a problem.  You can write
your own routines (like LET and DO) very easily once you have
mastered Lisp.  I have used Amiga Lisp in an AI class and Lisp class
and it performed quite well.  With 1 mbyte memory large programs are
no problem...

The only other Lisp for the Amiga currently is a Public Domain
Lisp, XLisp, written in C, and I think it may include source.

Hello Gold Hill? Texas Instruments?  Port to Amiga...

  John
  7OHN