[mod.amiga] NFS for Amiga

sdl@mbunix.ARPA.UUCP (01/27/87)

>has anybody heard of a NFS(tm) implementation for the Amiga.
>
>We plan to develop software for the AMIGA on a SGI-IRIS workstation
>and we would like to use the NFS software to avoid downloading and to
>extend the file-system space on the AMIGA.

The Jan.-Feb. 1987 issue of "AmigaWorld" lists Ameristar Technologies,
as shipping an Ethernet interface board ($699) with NFS software ($149
extra).  Does anyone know if this really exists yet?

Anyway, the address is:

	Ameristar Technologies
	P.O. Box 415
	Hauppauge, NY  11788
	(516)724-3344

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford
UUCP:  ...{cbosgd,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,security,utzoo}!linus!sdl

miner@ulowell.UUCP.UUCP (01/28/87)

sdl@mbunix.ARPA (Litvintchouk) writes:
>The Jan.-Feb. 1987 issue of "AmigaWorld" lists Ameristar Technologies,
>as shipping an Ethernet interface board ($699) with NFS software ($149
>extra).  Does anyone know if this really exists yet?
>Steven Litvintchouk

I have spoken with Ameristar quite a bit and they are shipping their
Ethernet card.  We have ordered two for our lab (and a Sun 3/280 to
plug them into).  They sent me a complete manual on the cards and NFS
about a month ago.  The boards look good, they will work with both
thin-wire and and standard Ethernet cable.  They have both a side mount
and internal Zorro version of the card.

The NFS gives the ability to access any servers file system,
unfortunatly the Amiga can not act as a server only clients,  though
this is likely to change in the future.  Ameristar is planing on other
software and hardware options to help integrate the Amiga into networks
as a low-end workstation.

MINI-REVIEW:  We have purchased an Ameristar expansion box and have
been using it to develop a Zorro Image Processing card.  The expansion
box is a bit big, if it had legs it could be called an expansion desk,
but it serves the purpose.  It has five Zorro slots, power supply, and
room for four half high drives.  We paid about $600 a few months ago.

My only relation with Ameristar is that they give me hardware in
exchange for money.

PS Steven, was it you that mentioned an implementation of News for the
Amiga a while back?
--
Rich Miner   ...!wanginst!ulowell!miner
Ulowell, Center for Productivity Enhancement        (617) 452-5000 x2693