[net.sf-lovers] _Ender's_Game_

chabot@miles.DEC (Bih ih bih) (05/30/85)

From:	MILES::CHABOT       "Bih ih bih" 29-MAY-1985 18:10
To:	RHEA::DECWRL::"net.sf-lovers",CHABOT
Subj:	Re: _Ender's_Game_

> In fact, we see the same game played by respected science fiction authors.
> A prime example just came to my attention.  Orsen Scott Card titled a recent
> novel ENDER'S GAME.  That title conjures up interesting ideas.  In fact many
> games can be turned over in the end-game.  Players in various games can
> "shoot-the-moon" as they see some sort of game coming to an end.
> Particularly since they have nothing to lose.  Somebody with a good endgame
> plan can make any sort of game interesting.  This is just the principle that
> might make Card's alien invasion story interesting.  It may even be there.
> But I just read a review of the story that said the story took its name from
> the main character named Ender.  "Oh, sorry if you misunderstood the title."
>
>				Mark Leeper
>				...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper

Since you state you determined from a review the story's title is derived
from the name of the protagnist, can we safely assume you have yet to read the
story, Mark?

Reviewers, even "professionals", sometimes do the bizarrest things, such as
missing the point of the story, apparently skipping significant wads of pages,
and so on: it's entirely possible this happened to the reviewer in the review
reviewed above.

If I remember correctly, this novella is a potent one, and it is rather the
name of the protagnist which is rather derived from his imposed role, which,
yes, certainly has a good deal to do with a game and the end of that game...
or rather games within games...and endings and enders, and poses the question of
what happens to the pieces afterwards.  But, then, I certainly don't have a
copy here at work with which to check the title with the plot I remember; so
I'm just speaking through my terminal emulator.  ["Ad Libris!"?]

L S Chabot   ...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!chabot   chabot%amber.dec@decwrl.arpa