[mod.computers.68k] [rutgers!im4u!ti-csl!tifsie!bill@caip.rutgers.edu

mwm@VIOLET.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (02/13/87)

------- Forwarded Message

From: bill@tifsie.UUCP (Bill Stoltz)
Newsgroups: mod.computers.68k
Subject: OS9 Questions (was Re: Minix/68k)
Date: 13 Feb 87 05:58:02 GMT

Steve Blasingame gave a lot of information about OS9, but he left
me with a few unanswered questions.

If every process is position independent then is every process limited
to 64K bytes?  In order to be position independent you have to use
PC relative code.  PC relative, from what I have been able to find,
is +-32K bytes.  Obviously, programs can be greater than 64k but all
references must be within 32k.  How does OS9 handle this?

What does OS9 use to try to protect other processes or kernel memory
from the currently running process, without the use of an MMU?

Where can I get more information on OS9?  (General Overview and
some internal workings like we have discussed here)?

Bill Stoltz
Texas Instruments
Process Automation Center
P.O. Box 655012, M/S 3635
Dallas, TX 75243

UUCP: 	{uiucdcs!convex!smu, {rice, sun!texsun}!ti-csl}!tifsie!bill
DECNET: TIFSIE::bill
Voice:	(214) 995-2786

------- End of Forwarded Message