[mod.computers.68k] 68000 O/S's, MMUs, et. al.

HELLER@cs.umass.edu.UUCP (02/17/87)

It seems that my recent message stirred up some dust.  First of all let me
clarify a few things.

First of I don't object to having a MMU.  It is just that I don't think a
MMU is *neccessary* for *most* applications.  In a development/hacker
environment and with real milti-user systems it is needed.  It is doubtfull
that MMUs will ever be common on *little* home/office systems (i.e. ST's,
Amiga's, Mac's etc.) - most of these system will be running well behaved
software (i.e. canned business and home software), so these system can
easily get by with an unprotected multi-tasking O/S (like OS9 or AMIGADOS).
I really doubt that UNIX/MINIX will ever be the O/S of choice amongst home
and office users:  UNIX is just too "weird" (why is the directory command
"ls"?  why is the type command "cat"? what is an inode? - only UNIX hackers
really understand UNIX).

Secondly, I have found that I have had little or no trouble with runaway
pointers totally trashing the system, at worst it just trashes the current
"process". Re-booting just that process is suffientent. I guess I tend to
write good code. Also, I have little need to run jobs in the background
much. I guess I am just a synchronious user. I suspect that if I had UNIX on
my system it would just cause an *increase* in the system overhead, because
I would not use enough of it to justify most of what it would supply me
with. I just don't have much need of forks and pipes (or even virtual memory
- I will be going to a 4-meg system soon, which will provide me with more than
enough memory for anything I'm likely to run on my system. UNIX would just
eat up more memory for page tables and system code than I would actually be
using most of the time!). I suspect that that is true of most users of
little systems.

I have used UNIX a little and have *not* liked it at all.  The documentation
tends to be poor and the error messages not very informative.  Unless MINIX
imporoves on this (along with some other changes) I probably won't bother
with it.  If I go for a more advanced O/S than CP/M-68K, I'll probably go to
OS9/68K or CDOS-68K (neither of which need a MMU).  I just as soon not spend
money for a MMU when I don't really need one.

		Robert Heller
ARPANet:	Heller@UMass-CS.CSNET
BITNET:		Heller@UMass.BITNET
BIX:		Heller
GEnie:		RHeller
FidoNet:	101/27 (Dave's Fido, Gardner, MA)
	     or 101/147 (Orange Fido, Orange, MA)
CompuServe	71450,3432
Local PV VAXen:	COINS::HELLER
UCC Cyber/DG:	Heller@CS

jon@blit.UUCP.UUCP (02/18/87)

Robert Heller writes:
>First of I don't object to having a MMU.  It is just that I don't think a
>MMU is *neccessary* for *most* applications.  In a development/hacker
>environment and with real milti-user systems it is needed.  It is doubtfull
>that MMUs will ever be common on *little* home/office systems (i.e. ST's,
>Amiga's, Mac's etc.)

The i286 (IBM-AT) and i386 (Compaq 386) already include on chip MMU's.
So does the Mot 68030.  Other manufacturers will soon follow.
"Anything that can be put on silicon will eventually cost a dollar." -
Noyce.  Many home systems already include an MMU, and the rest will
soon follow.

  Jonathan Ryshpan   MS D3645	    USENET: ...hplabs!nsc!blit!jon
  National Semiconductor	    ARPA:   decwrl!nsc!blit!jon@ucbvax.arpa
  2900 Semiconductor Dr.	    DOMAIN: jon@blit.sc.nsc.com
  P.O. Box 58090
  Sunnyvale, CA  95052-8090	    PHONE:  408-721-5481

hsu@ENEEVAX.UMD.EDU.UUCP (02/19/87)

In article <8702181533.AA27804@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> Robert Heller writes:
>It seems that my recent message stirred up some dust.  First of all let me
>clarify a few things.
>
>First of I don't object to having a MMU.  It is just that I don't think a
>MMU is *neccessary* for *most* applications.  In a development/hacker
>environment and with real milti-user systems it is needed.

Today, these points appear to be true.

>  It is doubtfull
>that MMUs will ever be common on *little* home/office systems (i.e. ST's,
>Amiga's, Mac's etc.) - most of these system will be running well behaved
>software (i.e. canned business and home software), so these system can
>easily get by with an unprotected multi-tasking O/S (like OS9 or AMIGADOS).

This, however, is a truly remarkable if not wholly ridiculous claim.
MMU's are coming, whether you like them or not.  Both Motorola's and
Intel's latest offerings have them built in, and in a sense, the iAPX86
family has always had them.  Also remarkable is this concept of "well-
behavedness"; having spent some years in a software store, I can assure
you that few programs are "well-behaved" out of the box, at least for
the first year.  Often longer.  An unprotected multitasking system is
only as safe as its most dangerous process, and I for one don't intend
to restrict myself to one-vendor canned packages.  This is the sort of
mentality that breeds dead-end products.  "Simpler systems tend to run
simpler software."

>I really doubt that UNIX/MINIX will ever be the O/S of choice amongst home
>and office users:  UNIX is just too "weird" (why is the directory command
>"ls"?  why is the type command "cat"? what is an inode? - only UNIX hackers
>really understand UNIX).

Honestly, you should have attended the Winter USEnix conference.  "ls"
is no weirder than "dir" or "catalog".  Hell, you should have seen the
fuss I made when I discovered that nobody's BASIC implementation used
"scr" anymore; they all had this thing called "new".  "cat", like most
other Unix commands, is either an abbreviation or an acronym.  Yes, it's
terse, but you at least have the ability to redefine everything to your
heart's content with the shell's alias mechanism.  And nobody needs to
know about inodes anymore than you need to know about VTOCs or FATs or
whatnot.

>Secondly, I have found that I have had little or no trouble with runaway
>pointers totally trashing the system, at worst it just trashes the current
>"process". Re-booting just that process is suffientent. I guess I tend to
>write good code. Also, I have little need to run jobs in the background
>much. I guess I am just a synchronious user.

Either that, or you tend to write uncomplicated code.  That you can
detect the trashing is quite remarkable in itself; how do you know it's
not subtly wrecking something else very quietly?

>I have used UNIX a little and have *not* liked it at all.  The documentation
>tends to be poor and the error messages not very informative.
>		Robert Heller

While the Unix documentation is cryptic to most (if not all) beginning
users, the strength of Unix lies in its flexible and relatively consistent
command interpreter.  Most of the mysteries go away once you get the
hang of the piping output through filters.  And the quality and breadth of
the tool assortment is unrivaled.

The tutorials probably could stand to be simplified.

-dave
--
David "bd" Hsu	hsu@eneevax.umd.edu <or> seismo!mimsy!eneevax!hsu
EE Computer Facility, Maryversity of Uniland, College Park, MD 20742