[net.micro.ns32k] Help

mrb@psuecl.BITNET (09/13/86)

I would like to get familiar with the 32-bit microprocessors (hardware &
software, etc.).   Jameco Electronics is selling the NSC Series 32000 designer
kits for $59.95 (32016) and $79.95 (32032).

They sound like what I want (does not seem to be anything comparable for 68020,
etc.) but I would like some guidance for purchasing.....

The ad says: "Each kit includes TDS Manual, TDSCOM Program Listing, Programming
Reference Guide, Series 32000 Data Book, Instruction Set Manual, Application
Notes and Product Brochures.  (32016 Kit): 32016 CPU, 32081 FPU, 32082 MMU,
32201 TCU, 32202 ICU and 2 TDS PROMS......(32032 Kit): Same as above but a
32032 CPU & 4 TDS PROMs."

Your comments/assistance/warnings/caveats/suggestions are eagerly appreciated
and awaited.

Thanks in advance

MRB @ PSUECL  (Penn State Engineering Computer Lab) via all the usual gateways.

haddock@ti-csl (09/15/86)

	>I would like to get familiar with the 32-bit microprocessors
	>(hardware & software, etc.).  Jameco Electronics is selling the NSC
	>Series 32000 designer kits for $59.95 (32016) and $79.95 (32032).

You might wanna check out the ICM-3216 board available from National
Semi.  This contains the the entire chip set, comes with 1(?) or
4-meg of memory, a SYS V Rel2 Rev2 tape (cartridge) , 4-serial
ports, and a Centronics parallel port.  The University/user-group
program at N/S allows yoiu to get this two-board set for $1495.
From here you'll need to add a power supply, disk drive, controller,
terminal, and possibly a case to put it all into sans terminal.
Maybe this is too muich $$$ for you but at least it's a working
system with plenty of software available.  This is something you
won't easily put together with a bare chip set.  Then again, if
you're into making controllers as opposed to general purpose systems
the chip set kits would be the way to go.

				-Rusty-

*hardcopy*		*electr{onic, ic}*
Rusty Haddock		ARPA:  Haddock%TI-CSL@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
POB 226015 M/S 238	CSNET: Haddock@TI-CSL
Texas Instruments Inc.	USENET: {ut-sally,convex!smu,texsun}!ti-csl!haddock
Dallas, Texas 75266	VOICE: (214) 995-0330

bdale@winfree.UUCP (Bdale Garbee) (09/17/86)

In article <367@PSUECL> mrb@psuecl.BITNET writes:
>I would like to get familiar with the 32-bit microprocessors (hardware &
>software, etc.).   Jameco Electronics is selling the NSC Series 32000 designer
>kits for $59.95 (32016) and $79.95 (32032).
	The kits are $57 and $75 respectively from distributors, if you know
	of one to talk to.  I picked up one 32016 and a pair of 32032 kits at
	that price.

>Your comments/assistance/warnings/caveats/suggestions are eagerly appreciated
>and awaited.
	caveats:
		All the parts in the kits are 6Mhz parts, at least 10Mhz
		32016 parts are available... I was disappointed, but not
		surprised... should be plenty fast enough for you to have
		fun playing with.  I figure that with lots of DMA for I/O,
		it should go fast enough for my target prototype as well...

		The Tiny Development System stuff seems to want com ports
		based on 8251A USARTS.  I guess this is ok, but would have
		been MUCH nicer if they added hooks for custom I/O routines.
		For what I'm doing, Z8530's are so much nicer.

		Think about what, if any, software you will have to run on
		the box when you're done.  I have a Symmetric 375, and so
		have a full BSD C compiler/assembler/linker that should be
		easy to use generating ROM-able code for my target(s).  Not
		sure what else is available, as I've never looked.  As much
		as I like the 32XXX family, the 68XXX family at least has
		CP/M 68K and OS9 available... think about it.

The bottom line?  If you want to get into 32XXX hardware, the kits are neat.
They come with loads of docs, plus a listing of a turbo-pascal program for a
PC that will talk to TDS for uploading/downloading code from a PC.  6Mhz parts
are a drag though.  If you are not a 32XXX fan but are just looking to get in
to this level of hardware, look at 68XXX stuff.  A simple single board with
68000 8-10Mhz, a couple serial ports, disk, and a bunch of memory makes a
VERY nice OS9 box...  Software is THE issue.

--

Bdale Garbee, N3EUA		phone: 303/593-9828 h, 303/590-2868 w
uucp: {bellcore,crash,hp-lsd,hpcsma,pitt,vixie}!winfree!bdale

jec@iuvax.UUCP (09/17/86)

	Don't forget the tape drive to read in the cartridge tape!  Or am
I missing something?

    III          Usenet:     {ihnp4,pur-ee,purdue}!iuvax!jec,
UUU  I  UUU		     jec@iuvax.EDU
 U   I   U
 U   I   U       Phone:      (812) 335-5561
 U   I   U       U.S. Mail:  Indiana University
  UUUUUUU                    Dept. of Computer Science
     I           	     021-C Lindley Hall
    III                      Bloomington, IN. 47405