[uw.general] University-wide Finger

rbutterworth@orchid.UUCP (07/23/87)

In article <1051@water.waterloo.edu>, jmlang@water.waterloo.edu (Jerome M Lang) writes:
> Careful with social security numbers. It is widely overused.
> Giving it yet another use is an invitation to disaster.

I have never understood why so many Canadians are paranoid about
identity numbers.  I would find life much simpler if my SIN, my
drivers license, my OHIP number, my public library card number,
my passport number, my citizenship number, my private pilot's
license, my student id, my etc. were all the same number.

That number should automatically be issued to me when I am born
in, or admitted to the country.  (You can even have a copy of my
fingerprints ;-)  It could have a changeable prefix (like the
SIN's leading 9 for non-residents) to indicate one's status.

It would make things a lot easier for everyone (except for
illegal immigrants, welfare fakes, tax evaders, library book
thiefs, wanted criminals, etc.).