[net.sf-lovers] Old Triffids paperback

jcr@mitre-bedford (05/28/85)

From: jcr@Mitre-Bedford

A little question:

While passing by the "used-books-for-a-quarter" table at a local library
last week, I picked up an early paperback edition of Wyndham's "The Day
of The Triffids," and I'm now wondering: might it be the first PB edition
of that novel?

This edition was actually published under the title "Revolt of the Triffids,"
but with the original title in small print in parentheses on the cover. The
cover illo itself was pretty pulpy, with a triffid menacing a frightened
woman whose shredded blouse only slightly concealed her torso.

It was published by Popular Library in March, 1952. Other copyrights found
inside are 1951 by Doubleday & Co. and 1951 by Crowell-Collier Publishing
Co. Also on the copyright page was the note, "Originally published under
the title 'The Day of the Triffids.'"

Just consider this another chance for Jerry Boyajian to show his genius.

				    Regards (& advance thanks),

					   Jeff Rogers
					   jcr@Mitre-Bedford.ARPA

kalash@ucbcad.UUCP (Joe Kalash) (05/30/85)

> While passing by the "used-books-for-a-quarter" table at a local library
> last week, I picked up an early paperback edition of Wyndham's "The Day
> of The Triffids," and I'm now wondering: might it be the first PB edition
> of that novel?
>
> This edition was actually published under the title "Revolt of the Triffids,"
>
> It was published by Popular Library in March, 1952. Other copyrights found
> inside are 1951 by Doubleday & Co. and 1951 by Crowell-Collier Publishing
> Co.

	Gad, that's precious little to go on. As far as my info. tells
me, "Revolt of the Triffids" is the title of the first american paper back of
"Triffids", however that doesn't guarantee you anything. The original
price on the book should have been '.25', if so you have the first
printing of that title. I do no/t know if there was a british printing
that might have predated.

			Joe Kalash
			kalash@berkeley
			ucbvax!kalash

milne@uci-icse (05/30/85)

From: Alastair Milne <milne@uci-icse>

   A little question:

   While passing by the "used-books-for-a-quarter" table at a local
   library last week, I picked up an early paperback edition of
   Wyndham's "The Day of The Triffids," and I'm now wondering: might it
   be the first PB edition of that novel?

   This edition was actually published under the title "Revolt of the
   Triffids," but with the original title in small print in parentheses
   on the cover. The cover illo itself was pretty pulpy, with a triffid
   menacing a frightened woman whose shredded blouse only slightly
   concealed her torso.

   . . .

   Just consider this another chance for Jerry Boyajian to show his
   genius.
                                       Regards (& advance thanks),
                                              Jeff Rogers
                                              jcr@Mitre-Bedford.ARPA

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

   I can't rival Jerry Boyajian, and wouldn't even try, but I do know this much:

   "Day of the Triffids" came out a long time ago (decades) in paperback, from
   Penguin books, which, for copyright reasons that I don't fully understand,
   are not available in the US  --  at least, that's what the note on the back
   cover always says, following the list of suggested prices for the book in
   the various dominions.  Penguin, among others, published most or all
   of Wyndham's work.

   About the cover illustration you describe: how nauseating.  I assure you
   there was nothing like that on the Penguin release.  And the book was given
   its right name (though there's nothing new in Wyndham's titles' being
   revised en route over the Atlantic).  The story is very good, and has
   nothing to do with frightened, barely dressed women.  See other articles on
   this list for various observations about cover art.

   Alastair Milne

CARTER@RUTGERS.ARPA (05/31/85)

From: _Bob <Carter@RUTGERS.ARPA>

    From: jcr at Mitre-Bedford

							Other copyrights
    found inside are 1951 by Doubleday & Co. and 1951 by Crowell-Collier
    Publishing Co.

Now *that* is a surprise.  I was certain that the first publication
anywhere was in The Saturday Evening Post.  Must have been in Collier's
(unless C-C owned the Post at the time, or somehow acquired the copyright).

    Just consider this another chance for Jerry Boyajian to show his
    genius.

How about it Jerry?  Can you help with first serial publication too?

_B

boyajian@akov68.DEC (05/31/85)

> From: jcr@Mitre-Bedford	(Jeff Rogers)

> While passing by the "used-books-for-a-quarter" table at a local library
> last week, I picked up an early paperback edition of Wyndham's "The Day
> of The Triffids," and I'm now wondering: might it be the first PB edition
> of that novel?
>
> This edition was actually published under the title "Revolt of the Triffids,"
> but with the original title in small print in parentheses on the cover. The
> cover illo itself was pretty pulpy, with a triffid menacing a frightened
> woman whose shredded blouse only slightly concealed her torso.
>
> It was published by Popular Library in March, 1952. Other copyrights found
> inside are 1951 by Doubleday & Co. and 1951 by Crowell-Collier Publishing
> Co. Also on the copyright page was the note, "Originally published under
> the title 'The Day of the Triffids.'"
>
> Just consider this another chance for Jerry Boyajian to show his genius.

Flattery will get you anywhere.

The early publication history of DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS, is as follows:

(1) COLLIER'S	1/6/51-2/10/51 (6-part serial)
(2) Doubleday	1951	(first US hardcover)
(3) M. Joseph	1951	(first UK hardcover)
(4) Popular Lib	1952	(first US paperback) [as REVOLT...]
(5) Penguin	1954	(first UK paperback)

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
   soon to be: