[uw.general] DC cafeteria

hazela@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Jose Reynaldo Setti) (08/23/89)

Does anybody know why the Davis Centre cafeteria won't
give water to patrons? I mean, even if a patron asks for
a glass of water they won't give it?

I heard the cashier saying that today. She also said that
those were the manager's orders. From what the cashier said,
it seemed it wasn't the first time they're refusing to
give water to a patron. She also said she could ask the
manager to come to talk to the person looking for water,
but the guy decided to buy a pop, instead.

Now, why there isn't a water tap there? Why they force you
to drink pop or juice? There is a water tap in the Festival
Cafeteria and, if you ask for it, they will give you a glass
of water at the Wild Duck. Why?

jrs.

ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) (08/24/89)

In article <6244@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> hazela@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Jose Reynaldo Setti) writes:

>Does anybody know why the Davis Centre cafeteria won't
>give water to patrons?

Good question.  Why not ask Food Services and post the reply?  A lot of
people would like to be able to get a glass of water at the cafeteria.

broehl@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Bernie Roehl) (08/24/89)

In article <6244@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> hazela@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Jose Reynaldo Setti) writes:

>Does anybody know why the Davis Centre cafeteria won't
>give water to patrons?

A very good question... the ways I've found around the problem are:

    1) Don't eat in the DC Cafeteria.  There's a plaza full of better
       alternatives just across the tracks -- free water with every meal!

    2) If I *must* get food from the DC caf, I get a large empty cup (they
       don't seem to charge you for these), take my tray and cup down
       to the water fountain in the main part of DC, fill my cup and eat
       there.

leeday@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Lee Meredith Day - I.S.) (08/24/89)

I have noticed that some places, like a tiny cafe in St. Jacob's,
are barely scraping by, and cannot afford to give water to patrons.
If they let a patron have water, the loose a badly-needed sale, and
have to wash the glass or pay a nickle for the cup.

Maybe the CD cafeteria is barely covering costs.

But some people cannot have juice, pop, coffee or tea.  Believe it
or not, some of us must avoid caffine, sugar and carbonation.
Sometimes food outlets are not sensitive to these needs.

I carry a plastic bottle and fill it from fountains.

  - Lee

omynous@watcsc.waterloo.edu (Shannon Mann) (08/24/89)

In article <6244@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> hazela@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Jose Reynaldo Setti) writes:

>Does anybody know why the Davis Centre cafeteria won't
>give water to patrons? I mean, even if a patron asks for
>a glass of water they won't give it?

>Now, why there isn't a water tap there? Why they force you
>to drink pop or juice? There is a water tap in the Festival
>Cafeteria and, if you ask for it, they will give you a glass
>of water at the Wild Duck. Why?

>jrs.

I do not know why.  This kind of stupidity causes _REAL_ difficulties for
those who are hypoglysemic (sp?).  They must constantly watch their sugar
intake and cannot drink sweetened drinks.

For these people, denying water sounds like discrimination.  Anyone
want to bully those in charge into being reasonable?

        -=-
-=- Shannon Mann -=- omynous@watcsc.uwaterloo.ca
        -=-

kmheal@vlsi.waterloo.edu (K. Michael Heal) (08/25/89)

In article <6244@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> hazela@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Jose Reynaldo Setti) writes:
>Does anybody know why the Davis Centre cafeteria won't
>give water to patrons? I mean, even if a patron asks for
>a glass of water they won't give it?

This piracy is very unfortunate.  If it happened to me, I would set down
whatever I had already picked up and would explain that I can not eat
it without water; I do not wish to speak to the manger: I merely want
a glass of water.  I would then walk away and go somewhere else.

Wherever there is a captive audience, this policy is inappropriate.
Since Food "Services" has been granted a monopoly (even more
unfortunately), it is their responsibility to provide SERVICE.  I
think the very awkward techniques described by other patrons who
either can't, can't afford to, or simply do not wish to, consume
pop, milk, tea, or coffee should be unnecessary.  May I suggest
some courses of action:

 1)  Whenever you go to the DC cafeteria, ask for a large glass of water.

 2)  If you are not given the same, set your tray down and LEAVE!
     (No need to argue with any mangers.)

 3)  Write some letters to
      (a)  Whoever is in charge of Food "Services"  (Who is it?)
      (b)  The UW Ombudsman (in the Campus Centre)
      (c)  The Imprint (also in the Campus Centre)
      (d)  The Gazette (in Needless Hall)
      (e)  The president of the Fedaration of Students
      (f)  The president of the Graduate Students Association
      (g)  Doug Wright
      (h)  Have I missed anyone?

I best quit before I include my explicit thoughts on this dispicable
practice....

P.S.  There should be a fountain right in the eating area.
--
                                 Michael.
                                ( kmheal@watvlsi.waterloo.edu )

sean@watcsc.waterloo.edu (Sean Goggin) (08/25/89)

ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) writes:
hazela@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Jose Reynaldo Setti) writes:

>>Does anybody know why the Davis Centre cafeteria won't
>>give water to patrons?
>
>Good question.  Why not ask Food Services and post the reply?  A lot of
>people would like to be able to get a glass of water at the cafeteria.

 I work for Food Services in the Davis Center, today I asked my manager
and his manager.  They said to me, that the place wasn't, designed to give
out water, and that there was a water fountain on that floor.
At first this may sound crazy, but the cashier can't move and the servers
have no cups. Also at lunch servers have, no time to go find a sink, in that
packed kitchen.

 Someone should put in a water dispenser!

 Also, Have you ever waited for service, tring to fine a person in the place
to give you food?  The design of the posts, blocks workers from seeing people.
I know, I can be three feet away in the sandwich spot and not see at all someone
waiting for a chinese.

Here is a tip.  Most people their can do all the jobs
(Hot dogs, sandwiches, ice cream, and chinese) anyone will do,
and you as a customer can spot folks better than we can (the posts block
are view).

Sean
 |o| HAL 9000 / SAG         S Goggin  BITNET -  bvscistu@watdcs.bitnet
_|_|__________________________________UUCP___-_...!watmath!watcsc!sean_________

jmsellens@watdragon.waterloo.edu (John M. Sellens) (08/25/89)

I *knew* it was the architect's fault.  Must have been the same guy
that did Westmount Place - trying to walk off the sidewalk to the
parking lot - you can't see any cars until you are about to step
off the curb - and they can't see you.

kim@watsup.waterloo.edu (T. Kim Nguyen) (08/25/89)

In article <16120@watdragon.waterloo.edu> jmsellens@watdragon.waterloo.edu (John M. Sellens) writes:

   I *knew* it was the architect's fault.  Must have been the same guy
   that did Westmount Place - trying to walk off the sidewalk to the
   parking lot - you can't see any cars until you are about to step
   off the curb - and they can't see you.

My my, aren't *WE* critical  :-)  Geez, what's a little scrape after
all?
--
T. Kim Nguyen 		       kim@watsup.waterloo
PAMI Group	--	Systems Design Engineering

kmheal@vlsi.waterloo.edu (K. Michael Heal) (08/26/89)

In article <1989Aug24.235703.4415@watcsc.waterloo.edu> sean@watcsc.UUCP (Sean Goggin) writes:
> I work for Food Services in the Davis Center, today I asked my manager
>and his manager.  They said to me, that the place wasn't, designed to give
>out water, and that there was a water fountain on that floor.

We should have guessed.... Sure there is, but not near the cafeteria!

> Someone should put in a water dispenser!

Yes!  WHO is responsible for putting in water dispensers?
(There is lots of room in the eating area.)
Do we have to get permission from the architect?  (Seriously)

A one-hand operated tap (isn't there one in SCH?) would be nice.
(Push the cup against a lever below the nozel.)

All those pipes.  If we could only find the right one, we could
just drill a hole in it....    ;-}
--
                                 Michael.
                                ( kmheal@watvlsi.waterloo.edu )

ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) (08/28/89)

At SCH, there used to be (probably still is) a water dispenser with
glasses available inside the service area (and outside too, I think) so
people can serve their own water.  Cost to UW is the cost of
glasses/cups only (if you assume that people are going to drink water
from fountains if they can't get it from the cafeterias).

I don't think anyone was expecting to be `served' water in the sense of
a staff person taking time to dispense it.  People just want access to
water.  The nearest fountain is a long walk from the food area.  A
fountain in the general vicinity of the tables would be a nice
improvement (and would function even when the cafeteria is closed).
Locating it outside of the serving area eliminates any need for the
staff to disrupt their jobs to serve water.  Cheap disposable paper
cups would cost some money, but would be a nice added touch for a
`world class' building such as the DC.  The staff time required to
stock the cups should be relatively small.