[uw.general] Water in the DC cafeteria

awpaeth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Alan Wm Paeth) (08/30/89)

My two bits:

(1) They do charge for cups ($0.05 for large styrofoam). I've two before me and
    I always forgot to bring them along.

(2) They do have water. Both by the woks in "chopsticks" and behind all the
    coffee urns in the muffin nook (but they charge $.10 for smaller glasses).

(3) They are not "supposed" to give out water -- all servers with whom I've
    spoken say it is manager's orders. The nearest fountain is a long walk.

(4) My solution (almost): take hot tea water, add crushed ice, season to taste.
    But the solution is lacking (bad pun): all those pop dispensers and no ice!
    :-(.

WHAT WE ALL NEED TO DO: rave about how *wonderful* the soft-drinks are and
how much *better* they would be with ice. Hope they don't figure out (4).

    /Alan

ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) (08/30/89)

In article <11309@watcgl.waterloo.edu> awpaeth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Alan Wm Paeth) writes:

>WHAT WE ALL NEED TO DO: rave about how *wonderful* the soft-drinks are and
>how much *better* they would be with ice. Hope they don't figure out (4).

Yes, by all means.  Even if you don't want water, demand ice for the soft
drinks.  (How can they refuse -- they save money on the soft drinks the
more ice you use!)

hazela@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Jose Reynaldo Setti) (08/30/89)

In article <11309@watcgl.waterloo.edu> awpaeth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Alan Wm Paeth) writes:

>(2) They do have water. Both by the woks in "chopsticks" and behind all the
>    coffee urns in the muffin nook (but they charge $.10 for smaller glasses).
>
>(3) They are not "supposed" to give out water -- all servers with whom I've
>    spoken say it is manager's orders. The nearest fountain is a long walk.

Isn't it true that every place selling food is required ,by law,
to give out water, at no charge?

That's why many places bring you a glass of water - even before you place
your order (e.g. Swiss Chalet), right or wrong?

If this is true (having to give out water when you sell food) why the
manager orders are not to give out water?

Are they trying to pay the extra $$$ they spent building the place
out of soft drinks?

/jrs.

ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) (08/30/89)

Save your styrofoam cups for the next time you want water.  Better yet,
bring your used cups (purchased, of course, from the cafeteria) and use
those for your next soft drink.  Then ask for a 5 cent discount on the
price of the drink.  (You might want to get a receipt for the cup when
you first buy it, just to make sure they honour your request for a
discount.)