[net.sf-lovers] Literary vs SF genres

ddb@mrvax.DEC (05/29/85)

With or without a license, as they say, I gotta butt into this.

I'm pleased to see such a large amount of light being directed into this
discussion, even if mostly we're shining it into each others eyes.  Detailed
suggestions of what is "good literature" today are especially usefull.
Indeed, I haven't read most of the authors listed, and it's possible that
I may try some of them and perform the comparisons suggested (GOOD suggestions
on how to compare books, by the way).  However, the fact is that both at home
and in school I've tried a moderate amount of what various people at various
times thought was good literature (literary genre, as opposed to best-seller
genre;  there is no "mainstream" any more), and I thought it stunk, for exactly
the reasons various people are criticizing SF: unbelievable characters, bad
dialogue.  So I'm not enthusiastic about diving back into the swamp for
another go.

People have sufficiently different views of humanity that characters probably
can't please all of us.  Those of you espousing the literary genre as a
religion should note that many of us in the other camp feel at least as
strongly.  I wouldn't say that most of the best writers today are working in
SF and fantasy.  A good number of them are also in mystery and children's
(or young-adult) literature.

As for the acerbic attack on Lord of Light, I can only say you must not have
read it in the last few years; certainly the line you quote doesn't appear
in the book.  Not being a lit-crit bullshit artist, I'm not interested in
attempting a line-by-line defense of the book, but it's one of my favorites.

The Ellison attack was shoddy, very shoddy.  The criticism of him for putting
forward a hip, witty, front, may be true of him in person, and even of
his non-fiction perhaps, but is completely irrelevant to his fiction.

Apart from the differences on what constitutes a "believable" character,
I think a major source of argument is the relative importance of plot and
character to everything else (particularly style, or "quality of writing").
To me, a good plot can sometimes carry mediocre writing; but superb writing
can never carry a dull plot.  (unsatisfactory characters will ruin everything
else no matter what.)

			-- David Dyer-Bennet
			UUCP: ...!{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|purdue|shasta|utcsrgv}!
				decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-mrvax!ddb
			Arpa: ddb%mrvax.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
			Easynet: Dyer-Bennet@KL2102, mrvax::ddb
			Compuserve: 74756,723
			AT&T/NYNEX: (617) 467-4076 (work)
				    (617) 562-2130 (home)

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) (06/01/85)

In article <2359@decwrl.UUCP> version B 2.10.2 9/18/84; site rti-sel.UUCP version B 2.10.1 6/24/83; site decwrl.UUCP rti-sel!mcnc!decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-mrvax!ddb ddb@mrvax.DEC writes:

>Indeed, I haven't read most of the authors listed, and it's possible that
>I may try some of them and perform the comparisons suggested (GOOD suggestions
>on how to compare books, by the way).  ...

Good. I enjoy most of the authors on my own list of mainstream
authors, and consider my posting a success if I've gotten a few people
to at least CONSIDER reading some of these authors (many of whom are
just as hungry as your average SF author, by the way) ...

>and in school I've tried a moderate amount of what various people at various
>times thought was good literature (literary genre, as opposed to best-seller
>genre;  there is no "mainstream" any more), and I thought it stunk, for exactly
>the reasons various people are criticizing SF: unbelievable characters, bad
>dialogue.  So I'm not enthusiastic about diving back into the swamp for
>another go.

Hmmm... I realized after posting my article that it may have
overstated my point a bit. In another posting on this subject I quoted
the SF author (I said Clarke, but it was Sturgeon) who said 90% of
EVERYTHING is garbage, so I agree with you to a certain extent. Also,
tastes in literature certainly vary. Don't give up on non-SF
literature because you've had some bad experiences with it (geez, I
said the same thing to a non-SF fan who couldn't see what all the fuss
was about SF recently...). You might try Italo Calvino, Jorge Luis
Borges' Ficciones, Doris Lessing's Briefing for a Descent into Hell,
maybe Thomas Pynchon's V or Crying of Lot 49.

I also overstressed dialogue and characterization in my posting; not
all good writers stress dialogue or characterization, and there are
some on my list whose characters are stylized to a greater or lesser
degree (Thomas Pynchon and Ishmael Reed, for example). Gravity's
Rainbow, for example, reads at times like a Zap comic book. An
acquired taste, I suppose.

>...  Those of you espousing the literary genre as a
>religion should note that many of us in the other camp feel at least as
>strongly.  I wouldn't say that most of the best writers today are working in
>SF and fantasy.  A good number of them are also in mystery and children's
>(or young-adult) literature.

If you go back to my posting, you'll find that my main beef was with
exactly this statement; of course there are good writers in these
genres, and there are good writers who don't fit comfortably in any
genre or who work in several genres.

>As for the acerbic attack on Lord of Light, I can only say you must not have
>read it in the last few years; certainly the line you quote doesn't appear
>in the book.  Not being a lit-crit bullshit artist, I'm not interested in
>attempting a line-by-line defense of the book, but it's one of my favorites.

I haven't read it in some years, but the negative feelings stem from
my analyses in the years since (I read it twice ten years ago). The line I
quote is a parody of the actual line in the book; I think it's near
the end of the book as well as the beginning. There are books I'm fond
of that I'm sure many people wouldn't wipe their noses with. One of
the things I wanted to get across is that one person's favorite writer
may well be another's least favorite (I HAVE read Madwand by Zelazny
recently, and felt it was a disaster). The statement that most of the
best writers today are working in the SF genre offended me, because I
know it's simply NOT TRUE. If there are no sacred cows in so-called
mainstream fiction, there certainly are none in SF. I honestly don't
believe Zelazny or Ellison rank among the best SF writers working
today, though I liked Zelazny a great deal ten years ago and have
since changed my mind through reflection on his work as I remember
it. I certainly plan to reread it now, to see if my feelings are
warranted. And I certainly think no less of anyone who's a rabid
Zelazny and/or Ellison fan.

>The Ellison attack was shoddy, very shoddy.  The criticism of him for putting
>forward a hip, witty, front, may be true of him in person, and even of
>his non-fiction perhaps, but is completely irrelevant to his fiction.

I see the same hip, witty front in his fiction, unfortunately, from
his snappy titles ("Shattered Like A Glass Goblin;" "The Beast Who
Shouted Love etc.") to his slick prose. Ellison's fiction fairly drips
trendiness, but I can't offhand say why it bothers me so. It seems
urban and urbane in a very superficial way to me; consider, for
example, "Shattered Like A Glass Goblin," which shows Ellison's
knowledge of the '60s counterculture lifestyle and is a 'clever'
story. But if you strip away all the trendiness and knowledge of the
counterculture, what's left? A rather ordinary horror story. Sorry, I
still find Ellison overrated.

>Apart from the differences on what constitutes a "believable" character,
>I think a major source of argument is the relative importance of plot and
>character to everything else (particularly style, or "quality of writing").
>To me, a good plot can sometimes carry mediocre writing; but superb writing
>can never carry a dull plot.  (unsatisfactory characters will ruin everything
>else no matter what.)

I agree 100%. Just as long as we all realize that a plot that's dull
to one person may be absorbing to another.

                                   -- Bill Ingogly