[net.sources.d] Why do people submit follow-up articles, which are better sent via mail

gordon@utcs.uucp (Steve Gordon - Erindale) (03/09/86)

I keep on seeing things like this of late:

"I would like a copy too..."

Why not mail the person who posted the request, and have that person mail you
a copy if it is not posted. This seems a more reasonable thing to do as my
"j" and "n" keys are getting worn out....!

djhawley@wateng.UUCP (David John Hawley) (03/11/86)

In article <1153@utcs.uucp> gordon@utcs.uucp (Steve Gordon - Erindale) writes:

>I keep on seeing things like this of late:
>
>"I would like a copy too..."
>
>Why not mail the person who posted the request, and have that person mail you
>a copy if it is not posted. This seems a more reasonable thing to do as my
>"j" and "n" keys are getting worn out....!

I don't know about the rest of the world, but I have the most incredible
problems sending mail outside the U. of Waterloo enclave.
Maybe the situation has improved. I've just given up. At least news gets
it there. Mail often doesn't.

Why do you have to be a mega-guru to address mail? My dream is that one day,
the reply command in 'rn' will actually work most of the time!
--
These opinions are the best I could come up with on short notice.
I would like to thank my parents, my friends, the authors of books I've read,

story@calma.UUCP (Glen Story) (03/11/86)

In article <1153@utcs.uucp> gordon@utcs.uucp (Steve Gordon - Erindale) writes:

>I keep on seeing things like this of late:
>
>"I would like a copy too..."
>
>Why not mail the person who posted the request, and have that person mail you
>a copy if it is not posted. This seems a more reasonable thing to do as my
>"j" and "n" keys are getting worn out....!

I agree with your sentiment.  However, when I first started using the
Net, I had trouble sending mail to people, so I would submit a follow-up
article instead (mea culpa).

Since that time I have figured out how to send mail.  Because I have seen
other complaints about not being able to send replies via mail when using
"rn", let me share my results here:

If I were to use the "r" or "R" facility of rn, to send a reply to
the article I am presently following up, the mailer on this system would
undoubtedly choke on the address gordon@utcs.uucp.  I suspect there is
a way to tell the mail system the route to utcs.uucp, but I don't know
how to do it, and probably don't have the privilege to do it anyway.

What I do instead is this:

1.  I press "r" or "R" to rn to send the reply (as normal).

2.  When asked for an editor I specify emacs.  (I'm sure this technique
can be adapted one way or another to other editors).

3.  Once in emacs, I bring up a second window with the original article.
(The path name, at least on our system is something like
/usr/spool/news/net/sources.d/1364  where 1364, in this example, is
the article number displayed by rn, as in "Article 1364 (3 more)".)

4.  In the original file is a heading line "path" which specifies how the
article got to me.  For some reason this line is not displayed by rn.  Nor
is it used for the return path for replies.

5.  I use emacs kill and yank commands to move the path information to
replace the "To:" informtion in the reply I am creating.

Hope this helps.  If anyone has better ways of sending replies with rn,
I'd be happy to hear.

Glenn Story
calma!story@ucbvax.ARPA
{ucbvax,sun,csd-gould}!calma!story

cgf@infinet.UUCP (Chris Faylor) (03/15/86)

In article <1153@utcs.uucp> gordon@utcs.uucp (Steve Gordon - Erindale) writes:

>I keep on seeing things like this of late:
>
>"I would like a copy too..."
>
>Why not mail the person who posted the request, and have that person mail you
>a copy if it is not posted. This seems a more reasonable thing to do as my
>"j" and "n" keys are getting worn out....!

If anybody knows, I'd be interested in finding out, too.
--
			-cgf-

I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

		decvax!wanginst!infinet!cgf
		emacs!infinet!cgf@cca-unix.ARPA