[net.sources.d] Telling rn to use "Path:" instead of "From:"

andyb@dartvax.UUCP (Andy Behrens) (03/14/86)

In article <180@calma.UUCP> story@calma.UUCP (Glenn Story) writes:
> If I were to use the "r" or "R" facility of rn, to send a reply [...]
> the mailer on this system would undoubtedly choke on the address
> gordon@utcs.uucp.  I suspect there is a way to tell the mail system the
> route to utcs.uucp, but I don't know how to do it, and probably don't
> have the privilege to do it anyway....  [So he uses an editor to extract
> the return path from the Path: line of the article].

The return path can usually be used to send mail back to the author of
an article, but there are almost always better routes.  (Better =
FASTER and CHEAPER).  You can use a program like uupath to display the
shortest route from your machine to any other.

If possible, get your site administrator to fix your mailer so that it
will recognize addresses of the form "user@site.uucp", and will run
uupath to generate the best routing.   (Sources for smart mailers can
be found in the mod.sources archives.  Don't post a request for them;
look at the most recent mod.sources index to find out how you can get
them.)

If you can't do that, run uupath yourself and use its output as the path
for your reply.  (Uupath is also available through mod.sources).

					Andy Behrens

{astrovax,decvax,cornell,ihnp4,linus,harvard}!dartvax!andyb.UUCP
andyb@dartmouth.CSNET
andyb%dartmouth@csnet-relay.ARPA

ekrell@ucla-cs.UUCP (03/15/86)

Tell your system administrator to remake rn and "#undef INTERNET" in the
config.h file.
--
    Eduardo Krell               UCLA Computer Science Department
    ekrell@ucla-locus.arpa      ..!{sdcrdcf,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!ekrell