[net.sources.d] <$7K Unix System

mdb@aicchi.UUCP (Blackwell) (03/20/86)

In article <534@dsi1.UUCP> ron@dsi1.UUCP (Ron Flax) writes:
>In article <412@ucbjade.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@ucbopal.UUCP (Mike Meyer) writes:
>>
>> ...and expecting to get a reasonable Unix system for
>>under $7K or so is unreal (as far as I know)...
>>

>Mike please don't keep us in suspense any longer, tell us what
>non-cheap ( that is good quality ) Unix box can one buy for around $7K
>that runs 4.2BSD Unix?
>
>--
>Ron Flax  (ron@dsi1.UUCP)

I have been running SYS V.2 on a dsi32 (32032) for over a month now, and am
very happy with it.  Both the product and the support are great.  If you have
an ibm-xt compatable pc already, the cost to add unix and the 32032 is well
under $7K.  A 32032 board with 2Mb and a single user SYS V licence is
currently $3620.  After April 15 1986, with a new product release, a 4Mb
10MHz board with SYS V will be ~$2800.  (This info is from a sales rep. I
called while typing this.)  Darn!  I think *I'll* go buy one for *me* at
that price!  For those more concerned with price than performance, After
April 15, there will be a 6MHz 1Mb board for $1095.

For more info:
	DSI	(818) 341-5654	(32032 board for pc)
	ZAIAZ	(205) 881-2200	(Unix port)

Disclaimer:   I do not work for either of these companies, nor do I stand to
	gain anything from your inquiries/purchases.  I *am* a satisfied
	end-user who has experienced *real-live* unix on my table at home
	(wow!), and am growing weary of hearing that "real unix only runs
	on 785s".  This is NOT an ad, but a statement that such hardware
	does exist, with some numbers thrown in to back up the claim...

Disclaimer #2:  These statements are my own, and do not reflect the views
	of my employer, etc....

				Mike Blackwell
				..ihnp4!aicchi!mdb

ron@dsi1.UUCP (Ron Flax) (03/23/86)

In article <721@aicchi.UUCP> mdb@aicchi.UUCP (Blackwell) writes:
>In article <534@dsi1.UUCP> ron@dsi1.UUCP (Ron Flax) writes:
>>In article <412@ucbjade.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@ucbopal.UUCP (Mike Meyer) writes:
>>>
>>> ...and expecting to get a reasonable Unix system for
>>>under $7K or so is unreal (as far as I know)...
>>>

>>Mike please don't keep us in suspense any longer, tell us what
>>non-cheap ( that is good quality ) Unix box can one buy for around $7K
>>that runs 4.2BSD Unix?
>>
>>--
>>Ron Flax  (ron@dsi1.UUCP)
>
>I have been running SYS V.2 on a dsi32 (32032) for over a month now, and am
>very happy with it.  Both the product and the support are great.  If you have
>an ibm-xt compatable pc already, the cost to add unix and the 32032 is well
>under $7K.  A 32032 board with 2Mb and a single user SYS V licence is
>currently $3620.  After April 15 1986, with a new product release, a 4Mb
>10MHz board with SYS V will be ~$2800.  (This info is from a sales rep. I
>called while typing this.)  Darn!  I think *I'll* go buy one for *me* at
>that price!  For those more concerned with price than performance, After
>April 15, there will be a 6MHz 1Mb board for $1095.
>
>				Mike Blackwell
>				..ihnp4!aicchi!mdb
Mike,

I  think  you've missed the point here.  My original query is for a
Unix System for under $7K that runs 4.[23]BSD Unix, NOT System V or
anything  else.  I can get Xenix or any other dirivitive of Unix to
run on many micros (IBM-XT/AT, Tandy 6000, etc...)  but I have  yet
to see a Unix box under $7K that runs complete Berkeley Unix!

Everyone  advertises  Berkeley  enhancements but this usually means
that they have  included  'vi'  and  'csh',  giving  their  systems
Berkeley status.  But this is obviously not what I had in mind.

Someone mentioned Sun?  Well it turns out that Sun Microsystems has
a box  that  'runs'  4.2  for  around  $7K  however  it  is  not  a
stand-alone  system,  it  requires  a  server-host.   Their (Sun's)
stand-alone version runs around $14K.

--
Ron Flax  (ron@dsi1.UUCP)
ARPA:	dsi1!ron@seismo.arpa