[net.sources.d] multi-player unix games

geoff@desint.UUCP (04/21/86)

[for net.sources.d readers, Larry McWilliams brought up the subject of
[MegaWars (nee DECwars) on Compuserve;  he's looking for ideas for a new
[multi-player game similar to MegaWars that he's writing].

I've played DECwars on Compuserve;  I gave it up because I couldn't
afford the $300/month I was spending on connect charges.  It was very
addictive, and was undoubtedly the best computer game I've ever played
(though I'm not sure I would have felt that way had I mastered it
better).

There is also a widely-distributed game called 'Empire';  I've heard of
it but never played.  It's a multi-player version of the "run your own
kingdom" games that kick around.  When you build your kingdom big
enough, you can form alliances with other players and nuke opponents.

(Ganging up on people, and general team play, was one of the truly great
things about DECwars.  You could really equalize things against an
experienced player, and the experts generally welcomed the challenge
of, Rambo-like, taking on a whole passel of incompetent opponents
simultaneously and summarily dispatching them all.)

BTW, I've redirected followups to this to net.sources.d, which is where I
think they belong.
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	{hplabs,ihnp4}!trwrb!desint!geoff

asgard@well.UUCP (04/25/86)

In article <207@desint.UUCP> geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) writes:
>[for net.sources.d readers, Larry McWilliams brought up the subject of
>[MegaWars (nee DECwars) on Compuserve;  he's looking for ideas for a new
>[multi-player game similar to MegaWars that he's writing].

I have SAIL, which is a multi-user version of the famous Avalon Hill game
Tall Ships and Iron Men.  I have quite a naval bent and really like this
game.  The source for this was posted last year.  It is currently running
on a BSD VAX and I am trying to make it work in CCPM on my CompuPro.
--
From the manic ravings of:
J. R. (May the farce be with you) Stoner, Esq.