[net.sources.d] MicroEMACS & GNUmacs compatibility?

bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (04/22/86)

>	Perhaps RMS would care to suggest a "minimal" subset
>	of commands that such a tiny emacs-like editor should
>	contain. This would hopefully avoid any *creeping featurism*,
>	so that at least the netland version (i.e. distributed)
>	version would remain nearly as small, and fast, and
>	*functionally portable* to many systems. [i.e. it behaves
>	identically on all systems it is ported to]
>
>oZ

Just to play the cynic, by the time such a subset was agreed upon and
implemented a 'tiny' machine will be a lot 'bigger' and faster than
the 750 GNU emacs was developed on (probably 1+MB, 1MIP.)

Other than portability problems, how far is the Atari 1040 from being
able to run GNU emacs? Assume a hard disk. That's around $2K (w/ disk)
and available now. To push the relevance, what would be a minimal SYSTEM
for running GNU emacs, rather than the other way around.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

paul@osu-eddie.UUCP (Paul Placeway) (04/23/86)

I intend to work on just that (actually, I have allready started).  The
idea here is that microemacs should be a '90%' editor with respect to
gnuemacs, ie. it should do 90% of the things that gnuemacs can do, and
do them VERY quickly.

I also have a working terminal description for termcap which I will be
posting in the next few days (why did this get removed in the first
place???).

			-- Paul Placeway
			   paul@ohio-state
			   ...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!paul

oz@yetti.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (04/28/86)

In article <452@bu-cs.UUCP> bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) writes:

>Just to play the cynic, by the time such a subset was agreed upon and
>implemented a 'tiny' machine will be a lot 'bigger' and faster than
>the 750 GNU emacs was developed on (probably 1+MB, 1MIP.)

	Well, let's discuss this cynic to cynic:

	How long do *you* think it will take to *functionally* replace
	all existing Apple-][s, Trs80s, 64Ks, various z80-based
	cp/m systems, ordinary IBM-PCs, pdp-11s, (although 780's came
	about 1978, Pdp-11's are still there, and doing useful things..)
	etc, etc, etc.. ?????

	Do you really believe just because ATARI-ST is such a popular
	and powerful system, everybody, including your neigbourhood
	cabbie is junking their systems, and software just so that
	they can start from scratch ?? [If you do, I have this great
	piece of land ... :-)]

	I believe in *alternatives*. GNU effort is an alternative to
	licenced, no-source, high-priced software. uEmacs, Jove, Elle
	are alternatives to big, memory-hungry, disk-hungry, complex
	Emacses.

	oZ
--
The best way to have a 		Usenet: [decvax|ihnp4]!utzoo!yetti!oz
good idea is to have a 		Bitnet: oz@[yusol|yuyetti].BITNET