[net.sources.d] distributing gnu - let's think about this

rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) (04/28/86)

In article <355@yetti.UUCP> oz@yetti.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) writes:
>	I think the best way would be *regional GNU nodes*, people
>	who have time and resources to handle guest uucp hookups,
>	tapes etc.

I agree, since my company (yes, that is the owner of the Death Star
up there on the organization line) would probably object very strongly
to paying its phone $$$ to ship free Unix-based software around the
world -- I think you can understand why.  While I am somewhat in
agreement with the concept behind GNU and the FREE SOFTWARE FOUNDATION,
I can also see my employer's point.  If there was a newsgroup created,
I would not carry it through my backbone and would urge other AT&T sites
to disallow it as well just to protect my already shaky permission to
carry the rest of netnews (and it has been so worthwhile!).
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd allegra ]!burl!rcj

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (05/02/86)

> I agree, since my company (yes, that is the owner of the Death Star
> up there on the organization line) would probably object very strongly
> to paying its phone $$$ to ship free Unix-based software around the
> world -- I think you can understand why.

It's worse that that.  I think that employee of many companies won't
even be allowed to *use* Gnu.  Consider: you are only allowed to use it
if you agree that any changes you make will be generally distributed.
But your employer quite reasonably wants to be able to withhold from
general distribution any work they're paying you for.  Impasse!

oz@yetti.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (05/06/86)

In article <5373@alice.uUCp> ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
>> .. would probably object very strongly
>> to paying its phone $$$ to ship free Unix-based software around the
>> world -- I think you can understand why.

	No I don't. DEC pays DECUS, IBM pays SHARE for just
	about the same thing.

>It's worse that that.  I think that employee of many companies won't
>even be allowed to *use* Gnu.  Consider: you are only allowed to use it
>if you agree that any changes you make will be generally distributed.
>But your employer quite reasonably wants to be able to withhold from
>general distribution any work they're paying you for.  Impasse!

	How about all the stuff on the net, on decus tapes, on
	share tapes ??? Here, I am referring to real companies
	submitting loads of stuff, not research organizations or
	universities..

	Even if there were a lot of companies with the particular
	outlook you described, [[allow me to re-describe: you get
	something for free, that triples your productivity, and
	thus company saves, but when you hack a little into it, it
	all of a sudden becomes a major issue]
	so what ??? real improvements may not necessarily come
	from them. The point is: this thing is for *everyone*. If
	a company does not wish to use the best emacs available
	for *any* price, that is a (?) choice. Nothing is lost
	for the rest of the computer-folk.

	...	and I shall wait for yet another episode of
		FREE SOFTWARE FOUNDATION vs. EMPIRE

	oZ
--
The best way to have a 		Usenet: [decvax|ihnp4]!utzoo!yetti!oz
good idea is to have a 		Bitnet: oz@[yusol|yuyetti].BITNET

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (05/07/86)

In article <5373@alice.uUCp> ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
>> I agree, since my company (yes, that is the owner of the Death Star
>> up there on the organization line) would probably object very strongly
>> to paying its phone $$$ to ship free Unix-based software around the
>> world -- I think you can understand why.
>
>It's worse that that.  I think that employee of many companies won't
>even be allowed to *use* Gnu.  Consider: you are only allowed to use it
>if you agree that any changes you make will be generally distributed.
>But your employer quite reasonably wants to be able to withhold from
>general distribution any work they're paying you for.  Impasse!

Consider: someone using GNU on their privately owned machine,
on their own time.

Disclaimer: I do not know if Tektronix has considered making any
official use of GNU.  Unofficially, we have GNU-emacs up and running
on both Vaxen and 6000 series workstations.

Snoopy
tektronix!tekecs!doghouse.TEK!snoopy

root@ucsfcca.UUCP (Computer Center) (05/08/86)

> It's worse that that.  I think that employee of many companies won't
> even be allowed to *use* Gnu.  Consider: you are only allowed to use it
> if you agree that any changes you make will be generally distributed.
> But your employer quite reasonably wants to be able to withhold from
> general distribution any work they're paying you for.  Impasse!

One of us doesn't understand the GNU agreement.

It appears to me that you don't have to distribute any changes you make
for your own use (your company's in-house use). But if you do want to
supply a changed version to someone else it must be offered under the
same terms as the original version.

That is, what you offer must be redistributable free, include source or
the offer of source, no charges for the modifications (reimbursement
for distribution costs is explicitly permitted), the changes made must
be clearly identified, and you must include the original agreement
and availability announcement.

Stallman's summary is:

   In other words, you are welcome to use, share and improve GNU Emacs.
   You are forbidden to forbid anyone else to use, share and improve
   what you give them.

If I misunderstand, will someone who really knows supply us all with
the correct information.

Thos Sumner    (...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!ucsfcca.UCSF!thos)