[net.sources.d] another MicroEMACS posting in mod.sources . . .

stev@seismo.CSS.GOV (Stev Knowles) (05/07/86)

I see another MicroEMACS posting in mod.sources.
which one is this? why do so many of them have the same
name, with just a diffrent version number? why am i soooo
confused. (well, that last one is another long story . . . )

would it be possible for the two authors to get together,
and one keep the MicroEMACS name (the original author?)
and the other choose another, say PortableEMACS or something.

(hey, if they like this, i will gladly let one of you take this
name as your very own, and even claim that you thought of it.)

PLEASE!!!!

thank you, you can now return to whatever you were doing.

stev

stev@seismo.CSS.GOV     stev@seismo.UUCP

Graduate of the Han Solo School of Action Without Thought.

daveb@rtech.UUCP (Dave Brower) (05/12/86)

In article <2176@seismo.CSS.GOV> stev@seismo.CSS.GOV (Stev Knowles) writes:
>I see another MicroEMACS posting in mod.sources.
>which one is this? why do so many of them have the same
>name, with just a diffrent version number? why am i soooo
>confused. (well, that last one is another long story . . . )
>
>would it be possible for the two authors to get together,
>and one keep the MicroEMACS name (the original author?)
>and the other choose another, say PortableEMACS or something.
>PLEASE!!!!

This is happening.  All of the he posters of recent versions of
MicroEMACS are communicating with the goal of producing a common version
for distribution.  It has not gotten to the point of deciding to be
based on 30 or 3.6, but at least there is the desire to stop the
rampant proliferation.

For clarification, please read the moderator's notes on the mod.sources
posting of 3.6.  Basically, 3.6 is a feature laden derivative of an early
version of what became 30; The 4.2/Sys V analogy is appropriate in
many ways  -- 3.6 has more features, but they are not as cleanly done;
30 does what it does very well, just not as much as many would like.
I believe the moderator felt obligated to have both versions since
it is hard to chose one over the other at the present time.

In an effort to take this discussion offline, two mailing lists have
been created, rtech!info-microemacs, a forum for general discussion and
sharing of small amounts of code and fixes from users, and
rtech!bug-microemacs, a place for the people working towards the common
version to talk to each other.

-dB
--
Calrissian:   "It's not my fault!"
{amdahl, sun, mtxinu, cbosgd}!rtech!daveb