[net.sf-lovers] Starship Troopers

bsa@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (05/09/85)

Expires:

Quoted from <168@hyper.UUCP> ["Re: NofTheBeast - True STINKER"], by brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust)...
+---------------
| > reader.  I have read just about everything he has written.  Some of
| > his books have offended me (Starship Troopers, Farnham's Freehold)
| >
| > 						Bill Baker
|
| Yes.  To paraphrase one notable SF writer (Pamela Dean), "Starship
| Troopers is infuriating and you can't stay away from it."  This
|
| 				-- SKZB

What is it everyone sees wrong with STARSHIP TROOPERS?

--bsa
--
Brandon Allbery, Unix Consultant -- 6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, OH 44131
decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!bsa; ncoast!bsa@case.csnet; +1 216 524 1416; 74106,1032

dwight@timeinc.UUCP (Dwight Ernest) (05/11/85)

In article <701@ncoast.UUCP> bsa@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) writes:

>Quoted from <168@hyper.UUCP> ["Re: NofTheBeast - True STINKER"], by brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust)...
>+---------------
>| > reader.  I have read just about everything he has written.  Some of
>| > his books have offended me (Starship Troopers, Farnham's Freehold)
>| > 						Bill Baker
>| Yes.  To paraphrase one notable SF writer (Pamela Dean), "Starship
>| Troopers is infuriating and you can't stay away from it."  This
>| 				-- SKZB
>What is it everyone sees wrong with STARSHIP TROOPERS?
>--bsa

	Well, how about fascism as glorified politics?
	How about blind military allegiance?
	How about violence==glory?
	Fortunately, it's difficult not to have a great deal
of sympathy and identity with the bad "guys" in RAH's
STARSHIP TROOPERS. Kind of like the way most Americans and
British and Russians feel about what their country did in WW II.
But even WW II had its many agonizing moments of vast grey areas
(take just one example--Allied ignorance of the 300+ Nazi
death camps). In RAH's world, there seem to be no grey areas,
so we like the book (I really did enjoy it). But in real life
there's grey everywhere.
	And that's why blind allegiance, unquestioning military
service, and the equating of violence with glory are SO DAMNABLY
DANGEROUS.
	One would hope Homo Sapiens will soon outgrow this kind
of behavior--and literature--which leads down the path to the
kind of dangerous "true belief" that Eric Hoffer warned us
against. And which Hitler made such successful use of.
		--Dwight Ernest	KA2CNN	\ Usenet:...vax135!timeinc!dwight
		  Time Inc. Edit./Prod. Tech. Grp., New York City
		  Voice: (212) 554-5061 \ Compuserve: 70210,523
		  Telemail: DERNEST/TIMECOMDIV/TIMEINC \ MCI: DERNEST
"The opinions expressed above are those of the writer and do not necessarily
 reflect the opinions of Time Incorporated."

@RUTGERS.ARPA:boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (05/11/85)

From: boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

> From:	ncoast!bsa	(Brandon Allbery)

> Quoted from <168@hyper.UUCP> by brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust)...
>> Yes.  To paraphrase one notable SF writer (Pamela Dean), "Starship
>> Troopers is infuriating and you can't stay away from it."  This
>

> What is it everyone sees wrong with STARSHIP TROOPERS?

Well, I can't speak for Pamela Dean (she speaks well enough for
herself, thank you), but I can tell you what *I* saw wrong with
STARSHIP TROOPERS. It was dull, dull, dull! You can say whatever
you feel like in defense of it, but I tried *three* times to read
it, and never got through more than about a third of it.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

wab@reed.UUCP (William Baker) (05/12/85)

> Expires:
>
> Quoted from <168@hyper.UUCP> ["Re: NofTheBeast - True STINKER"], by brust@hyper.UUCP (Steven Brust)...
> +---------------
> | > reader.  I have read just about everything he has written.  Some of
> | > his books have offended me (Starship Troopers, Farnham's Freehold)
> | >
> | > 						Bill Baker
> |
> | Yes.  To paraphrase one notable SF writer (Pamela Dean), "Starship
> | Troopers is infuriating and you can't stay away from it."  This
> |
> | 				-- SKZB
>
> What is it everyone sees wrong with STARSHIP TROOPERS?
>
> --bsa
> --

	The main problem with Starship Troopers is that it
glorifies war.  John Rico, the main character, spends most of the
book watching his buddies get blown away, all the while moralizing
to himself on the necessity of war.  In the future of Starship
Troopers, the planetary government consists exclusively of veterans
and only veterans can vote.  The overall theme is that people who
do not wish to serve in the military are social parasites.
	Heinlein reasons his arguments well, though.  The
government of veterans does not survive because it is morally
superior to other forms; it continues to govern because it works.
Also, it is made perfectly clear that the Bugs are determined to
exterminate humans.  There is no possibility for a negotiated
peace, so the moral argument is not applicable.
	However, even this premise can be turned on its head.  The
most obvious example of this is Joe Haldeman's "The Forever War".
Haldeman takes Heinlein's premise and some of his plot and turns
the values around.  It is exactly what one would expect from
someone who read Heinlein avidly but also served in Vietnam
(Haldeman).  Great stuff.
	Dean's comment is apt.  I have read my copy of Starhip
troopers so many times that the pages are falling out.  On the
whole, it is not nearly as biased and jingoistic as Farnham's
Freehold.  In that novel he starts out with a nuclear war in which
the main character, a thin, balding contractor/engineer (sound like
someone familiar?), is determined to survive the war by hiding in
his bomb shelter so that he can go out and "kill those pigs who
killed my country!...I may die, but I'll have eight russian
sideboys to carry my coffin!" or something like that.  He and his
gang are blown into the future where Negros are the dominant race
and whites are slaves, making the point, in Heinlein's mind, that
if there were more blacks than whites in modern times then they
would enslave the whites, etc.
	I'm not accusing Heinlein of racism.  If it is there, it is
latent.  Really, though, he has written some things that are
shameful.  Sometimes I wish he would listen to himself as much as
others listen to him.  He contradicts himself a great deal.  On the
other hand, the discussions recently that have denigrated his last
few books and suggested that he is past his prime are off the mark.
Heinlein is self-indulgent, hackneyed, and opinionated, but he is
still writing with the insight and sensitivity has made him one of
the three great s.f. writers.  Hopefully, he will do as he has
always done:  Tell everyone to go to hell and write what he wants
to write.

						Bill Baker
						tektronix!reed!wab

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (05/15/85)

>> What is it everyone sees wrong with STARSHIP TROOPERS?
>
>	The main problem with Starship Troopers is that it
>glorifies war.  John Rico, the main character, spends most of the
>book watching his buddies get blown away, all the while moralizing
>to himself on the necessity of war.

	It may seem a technical point, but I think ST more glorifies
warriors, than war. I would agree that it argues for the necessity of
war, but I came away with the impression that it was the military virtues
(duty, honor, country) that were supposed to be glorious, not the making
of war.

>In the future of Starship
>Troopers, the planetary government consists exclusively of veterans
>and only veterans can vote.  The overall theme is that people who
>do not wish to serve in the military are social parasites.

	But didn't Heinlein make it clear that service encompassed many
kinds of public service, not just those we usually think of as military?

>	Heinlein reasons his arguments well, though.  The
>government of veterans does not survive because it is morally
>superior to other forms; it continues to govern because it works.

	I thought this was a weak point in the argument presented. Heinlein,
as the Omnipotent Author, portrayed a sytem as working, and then argued
for it on the basis that "it works". I'll grant that this is a legitimate
argument for a character in the book to make, but it's meaningless outside
the context of the novel. The system worked because Heinlein wrote it
that way.

>On the
>whole, it is not nearly as biased and jingoistic as Farnham's
>Freehold.  In that novel he starts out with a nuclear war in which
>the main character, a thin, balding contractor/engineer (sound like
>someone familiar?), is determined to survive the war by hiding in
>his bomb shelter so that he can go out and "kill those pigs who
>killed my country!...I may die, but I'll have eight russian
>sideboys to carry my coffin!" or something like that.

	Alexei Panshin (in HEINLEIN IN DIMENSION, the best study of Heinlein's
writings in print) makes the interesting point that Hugh Farnham is almost
a parody of the standard Heinlein Competent Man. He has the brains and
the skills, but nothing he does in the book works out. He is in effect
an anti-hero, a pawn of his environment, not a successful mover and shaker.
I wonder along with Panshin if this was Heinlein's intent, or if it just
came out that way.

>He and his
>gang are blown into the future where Negros are the dominant race
>and whites are slaves, making the point, in Heinlein's mind, that
>if there were more blacks than whites in modern times then they
>would enslave the whites, etc.
>	I'm not accusing Heinlein of racism.  If it is there, it is
>latent.

	Surely there are no grounds for a suspicion of even latent racism
in this plot? Heinlein's point seems clear enough to me: that racism
is not a trait of whites in particular, or blacks in particular, but
a general human failing.

>Really, though, he has written some things that are shameful.

	If you only mean badly-written, I'd agree, but if you mean the
ideas are shameful, I'd be curious which ideas you have in mind.

>Sometimes I wish he would listen to himself as much as
>others listen to him.  He contradicts himself a great deal.

	Indeed he does, but I wouldn't want to assume he is unaware of
this, or that it's unintentional. Heinlein likes to play with ideas.  I
am often amazed how many people assume that every idea which Heinlein
presents in a favorable light must be a dearly-held opinion of the
author. Surely the many contradictions suggest otherwise? It's always
seemed to me that Heinlein's chief purpose is to stimulate the reader's
rational faculties by presenting unconventional or unfashionable ideas
positively. It's probable that the ideas represent his own beliefs to
some extent, but I'm never really sure. I've always felt that the main
purpose of his polemics was to invite the readers to exercise their
minds by disputing with him mentally while reading, and not necessarily
to insist that we accept the notions.

>Heinlein is self-indulgent, hackneyed, and opinionated, but he is
>still writing with the insight and sensitivity has made him one of
>the three great s.f. writers.  Hopefully, he will do as he has
>always done:  Tell everyone to go to hell and write what he wants
>to write.

 	Hear, hear!

-  From the Crow's Nest  -                      Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
 	USENET:		 {ihnp4,vortex,dual,nsc,hao,hplabs}!ames!barry

Phyllis.Lewis@CMU-SEI.ARPA (05/16/85)

From: Phyllis.Lewis@CMU-SEI

>What is it that everyone sees wrong with STARSHIP TROOPERS?

	Well... To those of you who don't like Heinlein's government, the way
I read the story, I saw this form of "fascism" as just a possibility --
mere speculation as to what could happen.  After all, isn't that what
separates _Science Fiction_ from "mainstream" literature?

	In fact, by way of an aside, Algis Budrys, in the latest _Fantasy
& Science Fiction_, which of course is 400km from my keyboard, quotes a
founding father of the genre as preferring the title "speculative fiction."
So if we don't propose these alternatives, what do we have?  Nothing more
than mainstream literature with glittering bells and whistles...

							...k

P.S.   No, I'm pretty sure it			       (Kevin Lewis,
      wasn't Campbell...				borrowing an
							account...)

In article <1520@reed.UUCP> wab@reed.UUCP (William Baker) writes:

>> What is it everyone sees wrong with STARSHIP TROOPERS?
>>

>	The main problem with Starship Troopers is that it
>glorifies war.  John Rico, the main character, spends most of the
>book watching his buddies get blown away, all the while moralizing
>to himself on the necessity of war.  In the future of Starship
>Troopers, the planetary government consists exclusively of veterans
>and only veterans can vote.  The overall theme is that people who
>do not wish to serve in the military are social parasites.
>	However, even this premise can be turned on its head.  The
>most obvious example of this is Joe Haldeman's "The Forever War".
>Haldeman takes Heinlein's premise and some of his plot and turns
>the values around.  It is exactly what one would expect from
>someone who read Heinlein avidly but also served in Vietnam
>(Haldeman).  Great stuff.

	Another book which turns the idea on its head, and which
is even closer to Starship Troopers in plot structure &c is
"Naked to the Stars" by (I think) Phillip K Dick.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen

DP0N@CMU-CS-A.ARPA (05/22/85)

From: Don.Provan@CMU-CS-A

Gee, I had a completely different view of Starship Troopers.  Admittedly,
I was young at the time, and I've never heard what Heilein thought of it,
but I thought it was almost anti-military.  The first attack scene comes
to mind where the entire idea was to terrorize a relatively peaceful
people.  I can't remember if they were actually helping the bugs or
were just aligned with them or just sympathetic with them, but the idea
of sending down an overwhelmingly superior force to kill, destroy, and
frighten indiscriminately seems like a typically military reaction and
not a very pleasant nor effective one.

I also saw the "bugs" as just your typical enemy.  Did the government just
work the soldiers (and the civilians, too, of course) into the typical
military frenzy, like the view of Germans as baby eaters?  Were they
really bugs, or just humanoids with some buglike features?  Were they
really all that aggressive?  What I'm saying was that they were painted
so ugly by the protagonist's views that you had to say "this *must* be
an exageration."

Maybe it was just because this was when I thought Heinlein was a god,
before I read so many old-man-getting-lots-of-sex-teaches-youngster-how-
to-view-life stories.
							provan@lll-mfe.arpa

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (06/03/85)

>	Well, how about fascism as glorified politics?

Look, most of these objections have been answered at some length, by
Heinlein and others (see, for example *Expanded Universe*.)  So I am
going to ignore them.

However:
(from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, G. C. Merriam Co, 1977)
fascism: 1: a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the
Fascisti) that exalts nation and race above the individual and that
stands for a certralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial
leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible
supression of opposition ...

ST has a government in which --

there is no conscription

there is no obvious suppression of individual opinion (recall that the
public was loudly arguing for the Gvt to call back the forces to defend
Earth after Buenos Aires was destroyed)

there is never once a mention of the President or whatever, or in fact
of any political figure higher than (I think) a mayor.

Doesn't even control its servicemen to the extent that they cannot
resign at will (much freer than today -- try giving your top sergeant
two-weeks notice)

Whatever ST was, it was *not* "fascist."  Except to the extent that
"fascist" is now mapped to "anything that I think is Not A Good Thing."

Let's be a little careful out there...
--

			Charlie Martin
			(...mcnc!duke!crm)