[net.sources.d] Need hershy fonts

zben@umd5.UUCP (Ben Cranston) (05/06/86)

> Could some nice person out there PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send me a copy
> of the new Hershy fonts.  We didn't get them and I had to post to
> net.sources because we don't GET net.sources.wanted.  PLEASE HELP ME!!

> John Antypas -- U.C. San Diego

> uucp: ...!sdcsvax!jantypas     arpa: jantypas@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
> csnet: jantypas%sdcsvax.ucsd.edu@csnet-relay
> bitnet: jantypas%sdcsvax.ucsd.edu@wiscvm.bitnet

I'm reposting this to net.sources.d since this guy cannot do it himself.
It might be kindest to the net and its machines to have *ONE* person send
this stuff to him, rather than many people.  Probably too late though...

--
"We're taught to cherish what we have   |          Ben Cranston
 by what we have no longer..."          |          zben@umd2.umd.edu

eric@chronon.UUCP (Eric Black) (05/09/86)

In article <944@umd5.UUCP> zben@umd5.UUCP writes:
>> Could some nice person out there PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send me a copy
>> of the new Hershy fonts.  We didn't get them and I had to post to
>> net.sources because we don't GET net.sources.wanted.  PLEASE HELP ME!!
>

>I'm reposting this to net.sources.d since this guy cannot do it himself.
>It might be kindest to the net and its machines to have *ONE* person send
>this stuff to him, rather than many people.  Probably too late though...

This should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway.  Requests such
as this should be interpreted as saying "If you have what I want,
please e-mail that fact along with pertinent e-mail info to me; I will
collect such responses, determine which is closest/most convenient to
me, get it from that one source, and thank all the rest for responding."
Even if they don't say it that way, please behave as if they did!

And for the sake of the systems along the way, negotiate the actual
transfer in a responsible way.  Offer to set up a direct UUCP link and
pay for the call.  For something big like the Hershey fonts, the n
versions of microemacs, and the like, which transfer has already been
paid for by many, many systems, consider US mail and a magtape
(highest-bandwidth transmission medium we have!).

Related point: all the "I want it, too!" articles.  Suggestion: send
e-mail to the person making the original request asking that any
information collected be shared with you, and suggesting that if that
person receives a large enough number of requests that he post it.

Maybe the newusers announcements should more forcefully drive home
the fact that e-mail is not free; it doesn't take coins out of your
personal pocket, but it is not free!
--
Eric Black   "Garbage In, Gospel Out"
UUCP:        {sun,pyramid,hplabs,amdcad}!chronon!eric

zben@umd5.UUCP (Ben Cranston) (05/16/86)

In article <255@chronon.chronon.UUCP> eric@chronon.UUCP (Eric Black) writes:
>In article <944@umd5.UUCP> zben@umd5.UUCP writes:
>> In article <?> John Antypas writes:

>>> Could some nice person out there PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send me a copy
>>> of the new Hershy fonts.  ... I had to post to
>>> net.sources because we don't GET net.sources.wanted.

>>I'm reposting this to net.sources.d since this guy cannot do it himself.
>>It might be kindest to the net and its machines to have *ONE* person send
>>this stuff to him, rather than many people.  Probably too late though...

>And for the sake of the systems along the way, negotiate the actual
>transfer in a responsible way.  Offer to set up a direct UUCP link and
>pay for the call.

Hope I'm not getting in trouble by posting private mail, but:

> Ben,

> Since John won't see this, I'll thank you for him.  As it happens, his
> address at sdcsvax is just an alias to a system that is hardwired to
> my site -- and I had the Hershey fonts.  I, too, hope folks were smart
> enough to mail their offers, rather than mail the fonts themselves.

> Ryan Gale
> {ihnp4, akgua, bellcore} !sdcsvax!man!rgale

See, some of us do take a certain amount of care in what we do...