[net.sources.d] Geneal Program

oaa@houxl.UUCP (O.ALEXANDER) (05/19/86)

Awhile back (~Nov. 85), a genealogy program "geneal" was posted.  I have
the program and want to use it more actively.  I have two questions I hope
someone can answer.

1. What are the e-mail address of the authors
	Written by Jim McBeath (jimmc) at SCI
	Modified by Terry L. Ridder (tlr) at The Terry L. Ridder Family

2. Has anyone made any modifications to enhance the program, ie.
	- Getting the tree option to work
	- Browsing by name

If you can answer any of the above questions or have any other information,
I would appreciate your reply.

						Thanks,
						Owen Alexander  houxl!oaa

jtjones@tetra.UUCP (05/21/86)

In article <941@houxl.UUCP> oaa@houxl.UUCP (O.ALEXANDER) writes:
>Awhile back (~Nov. 85), a genealogy program "geneal" was posted.  I have
>the program and want to use it more actively.  I have two questions I hope
>someone can answer.

This reminds me of something my uncle and I were just discussing yesterday.

Around the same time as 'geneal' was announced, a genealogy program for the
IBM, Apple, and I think Commodore pc's was also announced (I think)  I beleive
it came from some Mormon organization and cost ~ $35.  A version 2 was supposed
to be available later on.

Does anyone remember such a program (for the IBM PC) or know of any other
low-cost genealogy programs?  Thanks in advance...

								Jeff Jones
--
Any opinions expressed are my own, and have NO connection with my employer.
--

mikem@athena.UUCP (05/22/86)

I have been using ON-DISPLAY Version 2, a series of Geneology Programs
written in BASIC on my COMPAQ+ for over a year now.  It is fairly well
documented and serves my purposes well enough.  I have over 8 generations,
400+ persons, and 130 marriages in the system and have never lost data
(yet..).
--
Michael E. Meyer (503)629-1553
Manager, Data Integration Products

chris@minnie.UUCP (05/23/86)

jtjones@tetra.UUCP (Jeffrey T. Jones) says:
>In article <941@houxl.UUCP> oaa@houxl.UUCP (O.ALEXANDER) writes:
>>Awhile back (~Nov. 85), a genealogy program "geneal" was posted.  I have
>This reminds me of something my uncle and I were just discussing yesterday.
>
>Around the same time as 'geneal' was announced, a genealogy program for the
>IBM, Apple, and I think Commodore pc's was also announced (I think)  I beleive
>it came from some Mormon organization and cost ~ $35.  A version 2 was supposed
>to be available later on.
>
>Does anyone remember such a program (for the IBM PC) or know of any other
>low-cost genealogy programs?  Thanks in advance...

I worked on parts of that program.  It should be available from the LDS
Genealogical Society, Salt Lake City, Ut.  I don't know what the cost is
but it seems to me that was rather inexpensive.

--
	Chris Grevstad
	{sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!chris

"Book 'em, Drano!"