[net.sources.d] unix help routines

mwh_adev@jhunix.UUCP (JHU UNIX Development Group) (05/21/86)

I am interested in help routines for the unix system.  The manual is
ok but is very difficult if you don't know already what you are looking
for.  What I am interested in is a menu driven help routine similar
to VMS help.  Upon invocation, this routine would spit out a list of
topics and would prompt the user for a topic then a subtopic, etc.
Has anyone done anything like this?  Is anyone currently working
on something like this?  Are there any more redundant questions I can
ask?

Paul Markowitz
seismo!umcp-cs!jhunix!mwh_adev
mwh_adev@jhunix.bitnet
mwh_adev%jhunix.BITNET@wiscvm.ARPA

g-rh@cca.UUCP (Richard Harter) (05/25/86)

In article <> mwh_adev@jhunix.UUCP (JHU UNIX Development Group) writes:
>I am interested in help routines for the unix system.  The manual is
>ok but is very difficult if you don't know already what you are looking
>for.  What I am interested in is a menu driven help routine similar
>to VMS help.  Upon invocation, this routine would spit out a list of
>topics and would prompt the user for a topic then a subtopic, etc.
>Has anyone done anything like this?  Is anyone currently working
>on something like this?  Are there any more redundant questions I can
>ask?

	We wrote one like that for the latest release of the ADC
system.  Currently we ship it as part of the system.  As far as a
public release goes, I don't know yet what we are going to do.  In
principle we would like to market it (Software houses don't write
software for free, you know.)  However, there are problems.  The
real problem is that the help program is only a small part of a
help system -- the important thing are the help files.  So a help
program in its own right is not a viable product.  In any case here
are the general specs:

The system consists of a help program, a set of help files, and a
file containing a help tree.  The latter is an indented listing of
help topics and subtopics with each line containing a topic and
the name of the corresponding help files.

Operation is very similar to VMS help; you give a topic and it
posts the information about the topic and a list of subtopics.
You go down the tree by typing a subtopic name and up by entering
a carriage return.  Like VMS help it is case insensitive and you
can truncate topic keywords up to the level of ambiguity.  We have
added some bells and whistles, however.

(1) The system is a single rooted tree.  There are path naming
conventions similar to UNIX file directory tree names.

(2) There are general search rules so that if you enter a topic
name that is not one of the current subtopics it goes to that topic
instead, regardless of its position in the tree.

(3) You can can ask for and get a listing of all occurrences of a
topic keyword.

(4) You can directly jump to any point in the tree.

Its a fun program.  I would love to have a version of it with the
UNIX man files transcribed into the corresponding help files.
Of course there is this little problem with copyrights ...
In any case, yeah, we have one and I suppose there are a
jillion others out there -- you should see the help system
they have VM/CMS.  But what you really want is a decent help
program AND the help files for UNIX.  I suspect it doesn't
exist.  Pity.

		Richard Harter, SMDS Inc.

mellon@mit-prep.ARPA (Ted Lemon) (05/26/86)

?6c
>    I am interested in help routines for the unix system.  The manual is
>    ok but is very difficult if you don't know already what you are looking
>    for.  What I am interested in is a menu driven help routine similar
>    to VMS help.  Upon invocation, this routine would spit out a list of
>    topics and would prompt the user for a topic then a subtopic, etc.
>    Has anyone done anything like this?  Is anyone currently working
>    on something like this?  Are there any more redundant questions I can
>    ask?
?6c
Something like what you are looking for is already available.   RMS
has put together something called TexInfo, which combines Knuth's TeX
with the original DECsystem-20 (10?) Info program.   The idea is that
you can create one document which looks like a manual when you format
it for printing, and yet can be formatted so that it can be traversed
in a tree-like fashion, like VMS help only better.   TexInfo comes
with GNU Emacs, which is available on 1600 BPI tape from the Free
Software Foundation for a nominal charge ($150, I think), or from your
friends for free.

			       _MelloN_
--
Ted Lemon
Project GNU of the Free Software Foundation

UUCP:       {}!mit-eddie!mit-prep!mellon
INTERNET:   mellon@prep.ai.mit.edu
ORGANIZATION: Project GNU, Free Software Foundation,
	      1000 Mass. Ave., Cambridge, MA  02138, USA +1 (617) 876-3296
Also:	      New Media Graphics Corporation
	      279 Cambridge St., Burlington, MA 01803
HOME: 18 Kennedy Drive, North Chelmsford, Massachusetts

jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) (05/28/86)

> I am interested in help routines for the unix system.
> What I am interested in is a menu driven help routine similar
> to VMS help.

There is just such a program in the mod.sources archive.  It is
touted as being a VMS help-like program.  (Volume 3, titled "help")
No, I cannot mail out copies.  Please consult your mod.sources Index
(posted monthly to net.sources and mod.sources) for how to retrieve
things from the archive.

John P. Nelson, Moderator, mod.sources
(decvax!genrad!panda!jpn  seismo!harvard!wjh12!panda!jpn)
Send source code to panda!sources, requests to panda!sources-request

nz@wucs.UUCP (Neal Ziring) (05/31/86)

In article <2668@teddy.UUCP> jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) writes:
 > > I am interested in help routines for the unix system.
 > > What I am interested in is a menu driven help routine similar
 > > to VMS help.
 >
 > There is just such a program in the mod.sources archive.  It is
 > touted as being a VMS help-like program.  (Volume 3, titled "help")
 > No, I cannot mail out copies.
 >
 > John P. Nelson, Moderator, mod.sources

Hi -- I am still improving and maintaining help(1wu) here at Washington
University, and I would be glad to mail a copy of the source (not the
help texts themselves, they're too big) to anyone who really wants them.
The newest version of help (version 1.9) supports the following neat
features:
		- ^D help topic completion listing
		- ESC help topic abbreviation fill-in
		- invisible apologies for unavailable stuff
		- user-transparent cross-references
		- sane abbreviation processing (fixed from 1.6)

Users at WU have used help for over a year now, and they like it.
If anybody wants help enough to mail me a tape, you can have the sources,
RCS files, and the entire help tree (currently about 550 Kbytes).

[Note to mod.sources moderator: Mr. Nelson, do you think I should post
the improved version of help to mod.sources?]
--
...nz (Neal Ziring at WU ECL  -  we're here to provide superior computing.)

	{seismo,ihnp4,cbosgd}!wucs!nz   OR   nz@wucs.UUCP

    "You could get an infinite number of wires into this !*$$#!?! junction
                         box, but we usually don't go that far in practice"
				--   Employee of London Electricity Board, 1959

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) (06/03/86)

er....  In the release description for 4.3BSD (YEAH!  It's being released!)
there's a "help system" in the user-contributed stuff.

Does anybody know anything about it???

--
David Herron,  cbosgd!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET, david@uky.csnet