[net.sources.d] Jamie's Junker -- All the News that Fits

spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) (06/27/86)

In article <282@ubc-cs.UUCP> andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) writes:

>  [description of the junker]
>
>     If you start using it, please send me a note at one of the
>addresses below.  I can understand if people don't want to jump into it
>without some net-wide use of it on certain newsgroups; I would appreciate
>it if a group of backbone or near-backbone people would start using it

When Jamie first posted his proposal about writing the "junker," I
didn't take it too seriously -- I thought the feedback others provided
was sufficient to point out that the concept was undesireable.  I
really, really appreciate the fact that he has put some thought into
the problem and even went to the effort of producing some code to
implement his fix, but his solution is much worse than the problem
itself.  In my opinion, mucking about with the contents of news is
outright vandalism, especially since the current software structure
means that reception of a mangled copy of the article will prevent an
intact version from arriving via another route.

To see if I was the only one objecting to the junker, I polled the
other backbone admins and the moderators by mail.  I have received 22
is vehemently against the junker.  Many suggested attempts at reprisals
against any site "junking" articles in "mod" groups or net.sources.
Most (19) felt that junking *any* newsgroup was offensive.
I suspect that this view is not in the minority.

I asked them what their comments were on someone else's (Charlie
Wingate) posted comment that he wouldn't even forward mail to sites
running the junker.  Many supported that or a similar stance.  Some of
their edited comments are included below.  I have omitted names and
other identifying info.

and vandalizing news is not one of those methods.  Sites are obviously
free to run any software they choose, but running the "junker" or any
other software causing widespread damage to the integrity of the Usenet
does so at their own risk and with active opposition from the majority
(if not the totality) of the backbone and many associated sites.

Comments:

----

...maybe [I'd] break into his system and run junker on /etc/passwd

----

Anti junker.  All the way.  Nuke it til it glows and shoot it in the dark.

----

I wouldn't run it here, and I'd discourage others from running it,
but not having the hooks or time to beat on them, I personally
wouldn't go to any superhuman efforts to stop others from running it.

----

If I found a neighbor newsfeed junking articles, I would turn off the link.

We have gone to so much effort to insure that news articles are
transmitted intact.  The "junker" approach seems to be completely
against the spirit of: the net, linking of sites, accurate data
transmission, mutual cooperation. etc.

"Junker" is little-boy spitefulness expressed in computer code.  I
prefer to work in a different (adult?) mode.

----

I will not, under any circumstances, run 'junker'.

----

I think 'junker' is bad for the net.  It is a simple-minded attempt to solve
a complex problem, rather than using some brainpower and coming up with an
intelligent solution.  It also, in my opinion, will not work.  It will never
be installed at [my site].  Not for technical, non-technical, talk, soapbox or
any other newsgroup.  It will make USENET into a joke.  I prefer rmgroup to
junker.  It doesn't make any sense.  Kill it before it multiplies.  Need I say
more?

----

traffic, but it is quite another to alter it and send it on down the
line--is this significantly different from adding nasty comments into a
message?  And, wasn't there once a discussion about being a common
carrier?  That is, I was under the impression that [my site] wouldn't
be taken to court if we pass traffic from other places that might be
considered to be illegal in nature.  Wouldn't we lose this standing if
we started applying *any* editorial control beyond the decision to
carry or not to carry?

----

I ignored the [pejorative deleted], not believing he could be
serious.  Woe to me for again overestimating the idiocy of the
network...

... it will just cause a new set of "such and such an article was
truncated, please repost" followed by repostings.  The people it is
designed to go after will quickly learn to get around it. pheh.

I'd be tempted to hack my Path to make sure they never SAW
an article of mine, and perhaps hack my mailer to not only not forward to
them, but to eat anything enroute to them regardless of where it went
next.

The thing is nasty and insidious.  Take a look at how the whitespace
bug in 2.10.2 affected the net, and think about how a conscious and
intentional bug would affect things.  In many respects, the two are
the very same.

----

If they were sites I fed, I would stop feeding them.  I
might be tempted to drop them from my L.sys.....

I guess the problems with the junker have already been publicized:
the fact that it's too easy to work around, that the offender (or
their SA) is never told, etc.  I particularly dislike the way it
lets sites "pretend" to offer full service, while in fact they
aren't.  At least now, if a site doesn't care net.rec.drugs, you
know you're not getting the whole thing.

----

Discarding articles might be acceptable in some cases, but
mutilating them is wrong both morally and as a technical solution.

No news connections for sites that mutilate articles.

----

	Junk Junker.

----

I would cut the UUCP connection entirely.

I would call on the management of the site [running junker] to persuade
the offending party to cease and desist.  If this was ineffective, I'd
call the management of sites that they fed and ask that they find an
alternate feed.  I'd call the management of sites that feed the
offending site and ask that his feed be terminated.

I'd also give the offending party's name to every headhunter I knew...  :-)

----
--
Gene Spafford
Software Engineering Research Center (SERC), Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332