[net.sf-lovers] Univac

jpa144@cit-vax (05/30/85)

From: jpa144@cit-vax (Jens Peter Alfke)

from Robert Neinast:
> However, you are correct in that the AC at the end of Univac DOES
> stand for Analog Computer.

No.  It stands for Automatic Computer.  Univacs were digital computers,
not analog.

					--Peter Alfke  [jpa144@cit-vax]

ran@ho95b.UUCP (RANeinast) (06/03/85)

>from Robert Neinast:
>> However, you are correct in that the AC at the end of Univac DOES
>> stand for Analog Computer.
>
>No.  It stands for Automatic Computer.  Univacs were digital computers,
>not analog.
>
>					--Peter Alfke  [jpa144@cit-vax]

Of course, you are right.  Had a momentary short circuit in my
*internal* automatic computer.  However, what I said before still
holds:  The AC in Multivac doesn't stand for anything.  Asimov
thought Uni-Vac had one vacuum tube; his Multi-Vac had many.
--

". . . and shun the frumious Bandersnatch."
Robert Neinast (ihnp4!ho95b!ran)