[net.sources.d] a compress/uncompress for PC-DOS???

ignatz@aicchi.UUCP (Ihnat) (07/05/86)

I have successfully ported the compress program to both MS-DOS and (believe
it or not) VAX/VMS.  The version I used was 4.0, as posted to mod.sources.
My machine was a Zenith Z-171, which has proven quite PC-compatible.

While hooks are in the code indicating that some effort was expended in
attempting to take the PC into account, it's obvious from the name generation
algorithm that it couldn't have ever worked on the PC, as distributed.
(Do you know how DOS hates the name 'junk.c.z'?)  I modified it to prepend
a 'z_' to the filename; it still needs work, however, to handle multiple
files and paths.  But it does work...I've compressed files on Unix, shipped
them to a PC and uncompressed them; both forwarded them to the Vax and
recompressed before shipping to the Vax, and uncompressed them there.
(And, of course, tried the reverse route, too.)
--
	Dave Ihnat
	Analysts International Corporation

gst@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU (Gary S. Trujillo) (07/05/86)

In article <588@ethos.UUCP> jay@ethos.UUCP (Jay Denebeim) writes:
>In article <2262@usceast.UUCP> godawski@usceast.UUCP (Mike godawski) writes:
>>Does anybody out there in netland know of a file that compresses
>>files like the unix COMPRESS command and uncompresses them like
>>the UNIX uncompress command to run on an ibmpc with 3.1 dos?
>>If sources are available (possibly c that'll compile with aztec),
>>i'd appreciate it.
>>
>>mwg
>
>Yeah, check last week's postings.  ARC uses limphel-zev (sp?) encoding, which
>is what us used in compress.  I've noticed that ARC isn't quite as good though.
>
>--
>Jay Denebeim				"One world, one egg, one basket."
>  {seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!mcnc!rti-sel!ethos!jay
>  Deep Thought, ZNode #42 300/1200/2400 919-471-6436

I checked with Brent Chapman, who had answered someone's query somewhere
along the line about compress, regarding the names of what Jay had posted
to mod.sources, for those of us who missed it, and received the following
reply:

From chapman%pavepaws@BERKELEY.EDU Fri Jul  4 17:37:52 1986
Subject: Re: a compress/uncompress for PC-DOS!!!
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 86 14:38:26 -0800
From: Brent Chapman <chapman%pavepaws@BERKELEY.EDU>

The files you want are on usc-isib.arpa (or b.isi.edu, under the new
addressing scheme).  You can do an anonymous FTP.  The files are in
directory <info-ibmpc> .  There are three files you need:
	compress.c
	compress.doc
	compress.make

We're having some problems with our news server this afternoon, so I'll let
you have the glory of posting this.

Brent

--

Brent Chapman
chapman@pavepaws.berkeley.edu

TANSTAAFL!  (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!)

--
	Gary Trujillo
	(harvard!wjh12!gst)