[net.sources.d] Ultrix 1.1 and 4.2bsd don't grok "grotwin"

das@cirl.UUCP (07/16/86)

In article <38@gec-rl-hrc.co.uk> in net.sources nwh@gec-rl-hrc.co.uk
(Nigel Holder Marconi) presents the first of seven parts of a window manager
system called "grotwin".  Quoting form the README file in part 1:

> Grotwin has been developed on a Sun 2 running release 2.2.  It should
> however, run on any BSD 4.2 or 4.3 system, or indeed any system
> which has pseudo terminals and the ability to poll a file descriptor
> (select(), ioctl(FIONREAD) or otherwise).

'Taint so.  Compilation of manager.c fails on 4.2bsd and Ultrix 1.1 because
these systems don't have support for window size changes using SIGWINCH.

Looks great, Nigel, but I guess I'll have to wait 'til I get 4.3bsd installed!
--
{harvard,mit-eddie,think}!eplunix!earvax!das	David Allan Steffens
243 Charles St., Boston, MA 02114		Eaton-Peabody Laboratory

das@cirl.UUCP (07/16/86)

In article <277@cirl.UUCP> to net.sources.d I wrote:

> In article <38@gec-rl-hrc.co.uk> in net.sources nwh@gec-rl-hrc.co.uk
> (Nigel Holder Marconi) presents the first of seven parts of a window manager
> system called "grotwin".  Quoting form the README file in part 1:

> > Grotwin has been developed on a Sun 2 running release 2.2.  It should
> > however, run on any BSD 4.2 or 4.3 system, or indeed any system
> > which has pseudo terminals and the ability to poll a file descriptor
> > (select(), ioctl(FIONREAD) or otherwise).

> 'Taint so.  Compilation of manager.c fails on 4.2bsd and Ultrix 1.1 because
> these systems don't have support for window size changes using SIGWINCH.

> Looks great, Nigel, but I guess I'll have to wait...

'Taint so, neither.  The work-around is easy as pie!

After extracting "manager.c", simply ifdef out the body (lines 955-967)
of "set_tty_size()".  I used "#ifdef SIGWINCH" in anticipation of 4.3bsd.
This code is (probably) only required to inform co-operating programs
of the current window size.  Since 4.2bsd and Ultrix 1.1 programs
don't know from nothin' about windows, there's nothing to tell 'em.

Hint: My vt100 emulation (Zenith Z29) needed to have both "line wrap"
and "auto CR on LF received" turned on in order to work correctly.

Good job, Nigel.  Works swell!  Testimony from a satisfied user :-))